• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cars and Xings car/truck paths Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

You just can't count the number of routes in the TS library, there are countless other routes built in the UK, Russia, Australia etc.etc. that were all built in MSTS and still run by many...

#42 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

View Postwaivethefive, on 15 July 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Our little duopoly franchise is making the least progress of all the competing sims. Those others leaping ahead? They don't have to worry about backwards compatibility with 8,000 < 600 routes. Now, granted, I admit this franchise is supported more by that fraction of the user base who do not want to make too great of a leap. But their feelings need only be consulted, not run the show or dictate progress levels.

Again, I posit you're missing the point - the whole point of OR is reasonable backwards compatibility. And just how many people do you think are working on Open Rails development? I hope you're not comparing commercial projects to Open Rails. I also hope you're not seriously equating number of users to pace of development. If you want more development, then find more developers. That is the bottleneck, if you want to call it one.

You also cannot make someone "embrace" OR. There's no rulemaking here that says "on such and such date, MSTS will stop working and you must use OR" and there aren't constant television ads reminding users they could switch. Progress of development may entice more and more people, but those people have to be interested enough to follow it. Some people are happy with what they have and just will cannot be pleased otherwise. Open Rails is free, takes seconds to install, and doesn't modify any existing files... I have trouble understanding why someone would not give it a try. But then we're not all the same.

View Postwaivethefive, on 15 July 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

What is the next area that will soon be a problem? All the Indian route builders currently (as in today, not 5 years ago) employing large tiles.

If the default routes are a model for how to create routes for MSTS (and by extension, OR)—and I believe that they are—then large tiles should not be used. A number of route developers are not computer-tech-minded people...they love trains, not computers, and not programing. And so technical design and philosophy mistakes creep up, such as the use of large tiles (especially under track) because they're not paying enough attention or don't know any better. It isn't the end of the world. OR does not support some super-large tiles... again it's not the end of the world. It comes back to development. Someone has to spend their hours to get OR to do that, and so far it hasn't happened. Open source projects have a tendency to be self-correcting. Someone, somewhere, will get fed-up enough with the problem and will tackle it. India has a plethora of technically-minded people. Maybe one of them will be the one to tackle it.

Social media outrage - oh, the horror. Social media outrage does not feed starving children or locate abductees or rescue abandoned animals - it certainly doesn't steer OR development. Developers do that. And developers do not respond very well to hysterics.

#43 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

I am user of OR from release 0.8
I NEVER use MSTS.

Regards.

#44 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostRTP, on 17 July 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

I am user of OR from release 0.8
I NEVER use MSTS.

In that case, sir, you don't create your own routes or activities and you NEVER install a freeware route which requires MSTS default files!

Before somebody jumps down my throat, I know Goku's excellent TSRE5 is available and still being developed, but, reading posts on this site, and others, MS RE is still needed for some purposes. :)

Cheers,
Ged

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users