• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Combined Control Throttle and Brake Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Starting to convert one of my DMUs with the above controller in OR. With the keyboard, the controller moves throttle moves to brake and vice-versa. But with the mouse, i only have throttle movement. The controller refuses to move into brake section with the mouse.

If i use the keyboard to enter the brake section, the mouse then moves the controller for the brake. While still in the brake section, the mouse can move the controller from brake to throttle, but will not move from throttle to brake.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

Which STYLE are you using with your CP_HANDLE COMBINED_CONTROL? Can you attach here your full CP_HANDLE COMBINED_CONTROL block from the .cvf file and the EngineControllers block from the .eng file?
Not sure I'm able to provide a help, but let's try.

#3 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:20 AM

Csantucci, on 16 January 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Which STYLE are you using with your CP_HANDLE COMBINED_CONTROL? Can you attach here your full CP_HANDLE COMBINED_CONTROL block from the .cvf file and the EngineControllers block from the .eng file?
Not sure I'm able to provide a help, but let's try.

Carlo.
The same thing happen with the default series 700 EMU. Mouse can move controller while already in the brake section into power section but will not go into brake section from the power section. You can test this for now as won't be able to access my ENG/CVF files until later. I do remember my CVF having style as 'NONE'.

Thanks

#4 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

When using the combined controller in MSTS, the zero position says idle. Also, you cannot use the combined brake with the normal train brake keys as they are disconnected, so only keys A and D are used.

In OR, the train brake keys are still activate, so you can control the brake with the normal train brake keys and the combined controller keys ( A and D ).

As the mouse can move the combined controller from brake to throttle, but not from throttle to brake, i'm unsure if this is an error on my part or a bug.

EngineControllers (
       Throttle ( 0 1 0.0125 0 
          NumNotches ( 8 
          Notch ( 0       0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 0.05    0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 0.15    0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 0.30    0 Dummy )                	
          Notch ( 0.50    0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 0.67    0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 0.80    0 Dummy )
          Notch ( 1.0     0 Dummy )
          )	
     )
     Brake_Train ( 0 1 0 0.722 
NumNotches ( 5
Notch ( 0 0     TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch ( 0.300 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart )
Notch ( 0.622 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart )
Notch ( 0.722 0 TrainBrakesControllerContinuousServiceStart )
Notch ( 1.000 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )
            )
        )
        Combined_Control( 0 1 0.56 0.56 throttle train )

CombinedControl (
			Type ( CP_HANDLE COMBINED_CONTROL )
			Position ( 91 383 139 113 )
			Graphic ( 166_Throttle.ACE )
			Style ( NONE )
			MouseControl ( 1 )
			NumFrames ( 15 3 5 )
			NumPositions ( 15 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14  )
			NumValues ( 15 0 0.07 0.14 0.21 0.28 0.35 0.42 0.49 0.56 0.63 0.70 0.77 0.84 0.91 0.98 )
			Orientation ( 1 )
			DirIncrease ( 1 )
		)

Thanks

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

Reading the tech docs the combined control line covers the movement of the control lever over 100% of its travel. Combined_Control( 0 1 0.5 0.5 throttle dynamic ) Your combined control line has something a bit different, Combined_Control( 0 1 0.56 0.56 throttle train ) which is 112%, but not sure if this is the cause.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

It's a bit a critical matter, and probably the algorithms selected aren't the best ones. I tried to slightly adapt them. The solution I found is not perfect, but, at least with the Series 7000, it does work. Here is the file you have to replace into x.3755.
Attached File  Orts.Simulation.dll.zip (386.95K)
Number of downloads: 412
Comparing your case with the Series 7000, I'm not sure you've prepared correct blocks.
1) In the Series 7000 the value defined as intermediate value is the fifth one in the .cvf file (0.4), because the throttle controller has 5 notches. In your case you have 8 notches, but you have defined as intermediate value the 9th one (0.56) and not the 8th one (0.49).
2) In the Series 7000 the brake controller has 3 notches and in the .cvf file in fact there are 3 positions from 0.4 to 0.88, 0.4 included.
In your case, even starting from 0.56 you have in the brake controller 5 notches and in the .cvf file 7 positions instead of 5.

Coolhand, pls. open a bug report for this.

#7 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

Csantucci, on 17 January 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

It's a bit a critical matter, and probably the algorithms selected aren't the best ones. I tried to slightly adapt them. The solution I found is not perfect, but, at least with the Series 7000, it does work. Here is the file you have to replace into x.3755.
Orts.Simulation.dll.zip
Comparing your case with the Series 7000, I'm not sure you've prepared correct blocks.
1) In the Series 7000 the value defined as intermediate value is the fifth one in the .cvf file (0.4), because the throttle controller has 5 notches. In your case you have 8 notches, but you have defined as intermediate value the 9th one (0.56) and not the 8th one (0.49).
2) In the Series 7000 the brake controller has 3 notches and in the .cvf file in fact there are 3 positions from 0.4 to 0.88, 0.4 included.
In your case, even starting from 0.56 you have in the brake controller 5 notches and in the .cvf file 7 positions instead of 5.

Thanks ,downloading now.

I was having trouble with an animation not showing. There are 7 power positions, off and 4 brake steps. The brakes are gradulated on the 7000, on mine they are notched. I had to use all the animations in the CVF(15) but only use 12 for ENG file. If i use use less than 0.56 in the ENG file, one animation is skipped. However, reading your terminology, i think i now understand why one animation was missing in my original setup.

Thanks

#8 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

Initial testing on my setup, showed sporadic movement into the throttle setting. It does work correctly with the 7000.
I reverted back to my original frames of 12 out of 15, this allows smooth movement in the throttle section but i have reintroduce the one animation skipped(only 11 out of 12).

Finding it hard to have the correct frames with stable throttle movement. Have to continue testing later. Bug report will be done soon.

Thanks

#9 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Bug report filed!

#10 User is offline   देव 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

Coolhand101, on 17 January 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

Thanks ,downloading now.

I was having trouble with an animation not showing. There are 7 power positions, off and 4 brake steps. The brakes are gradulated on the 7000, on mine they are notched. I had to use all the animations in the CVF(15) but only use 12 for ENG file. If i use use less than 0.56 in the ENG file, one animation is skipped. However, reading your terminology, i think i now understand why one animation was missing in my original setup.

Thanks

Can you explain how to notch the brakes?? I dont like that gradulated control?? The model I am using, have gradulated brake control, how can I change it to notched control?? Please Explain in Brief.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users