• You cannot reply to this topic

New Consist Editor for Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#431 User is offline   SRTaylor 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

I just found this program and it is going to be way easier and better for editing consist files than what I have been doing - copying someone else's .con file and trying to edit it in a simple text editor. That method works, but is a royal pain and subject to lots of errors.

Thank you for this.

Sarah Taylor

#432 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

After trying it a few months ago, (or was that years, its all a blurr), I haven't looked back. I find it easy to use and you can see everything up close. It took me a little while to get used to it, but that's me.

Attached File  Image7.jpg (1.22MB)
Number of downloads: 6

#433 User is offline   trainzman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

<Admin comment>
Helping Matt express himself

Hi, Sarah Taylor, and welcome to Elvas Tower!

Tim, Great to see some Colorado Midland stock around here!

#434 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:28 AM

I am coming new to this, having just tried the consist editor this morning.
It is brilliant to be able to see images of the actual stock and very easy to put together trains and edit them.
Another plus for me is the ability to show (and therefore use) longer file names for both consists and vehicles.

Clearly it is still a work in progress - but hopefully soon it will be possible to use directly or from OR rather than having to run a .bat file.

There is however on glaring omission - this may have been pointed out before - it is not possible to edit the maximum speed or the acceleration factor for the consist. So I have found that I still need to open up each consist file with a text editor to edit
MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 )
To values that would be rather more functional in the case of the consist being used as an AI train. ConBuilder included a MaxVelocity editor that allowed these values to be edited, with maximum speed entered in either mph or km/h.
That facility is essential as the OR team have decided that the behaviour of AI trains must be set by the user in the consist file in good old fashioned MSTS style.
[ Gripe complain: when OR began I was optimistic that simple physics based on mass, resistances and tractive forces might be used to determine the behaviour of AI trains, but alas that idea seems to have been thrown out for the foreseeable future. ]

A third filter might be useful - we have vehicle type and coupling type - which is a good reason to retain coupling type names in OR even if they serve no other function.
The third filter would be based on brake type

#435 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 06 September 2020 - 07:34 AM

darwins, on 02 September 2020 - 05:28 AM, said:

I am coming new to this, having just tried the consist editor this morning.
It is brilliant to be able to see images of the actual stock and very easy to put together trains and edit them.
Another plus for me is the ability to show (and therefore use) longer file names for both consists and vehicles.

Clearly it is still a work in progress - but hopefully soon it will be possible to use directly or from OR rather than having to run a .bat file.

There is however on glaring omission - this may have been pointed out before - it is not possible to edit the maximum speed or the acceleration factor for the consist. So I have found that I still need to open up each consist file with a text editor to edit
MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 )
To values that would be rather more functional in the case of the consist being used as an AI train. ConBuilder included a MaxVelocity editor that allowed these values to be edited, with maximum speed entered in either mph or km/h.
That facility is essential as the OR team have decided that the behaviour of AI trains must be set by the user in the consist file in good old fashioned MSTS style.

?????????? Create a consist and save it. Then open in a text editor. You will find that TSRE5 calculates the MaxVelocity values. MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 ) is the entry that TSRE5 creates for a Static or Loose Consist.

#436 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

?????????? Create a consist and save it. Then open in a text editor. You will find that TSRE5 calculates the MaxVelocity values. MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 ) is the entry that TSRE5 creates for a Static or Loose Consist.

Well that is what it gives for OpenRails steam locomotives - with or without trains attached!
I will experiment with some OpenRails diesel and electric locomotives - but I expect the calculation is based on MSTS legacy parameters that are not required in OpenRails files.

#437 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

darwins, on 06 September 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

Well that is what it gives for OpenRails steam locomotives - with or without trains attached!
I will experiment with some OpenRails diesel and electric locomotives - but I expect the calculation is based on MSTS legacy parameters that are not required in OpenRails files.

UP FEF3 4-8-4 and 50 Hopper car Consist created with TSRE CE results in MaxVelocity ( 44.70400 0.06273 )

#438 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:43 PM

UP FEF3 4-8-4 and 50 Hopper car Consist created with TSRE CE results in MaxVelocity ( 44.70400 0.06273 )

That alone sounds like a good reason for a manual editor to be included.
Hard to believe that in the USA steam locos pulled hopper wagons at 100 mph / 160 km/h http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif - certainly not a performance to be encouraged in activities or timetables!

#439 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:06 AM

darwins, on 06 September 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

That alone sounds like a good reason for a manual editor to be included.
Hard to believe that in the USA steam locos pulled hopper wagons at 100 mph / 160 km/h http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif - certainly not a performance to be encouraged in activities or timetables!

Well it is NOT the MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 ) that you said TSRE5 produced!

And it matches the MaxVelocity ( 100mph ) from the ENG file.

#440 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

And it matches the MaxVelocity ( 100mph ) from the ENG file

As I said the output is not "intelligent" -

You have a steam loco that pulls hopper wagons at 100 mph in AI trains - because there is an MSTS legacy line in the eng file that says MaxVelocity ( 100mph ).
I have a steam loco that does not move at all in AI trains because the OR eng file does not contain a MaxVelocity line at all - none is required in OpenRails.

Whilst we have to stick to the MSTS system of using the .con file to determine AI train physics, we must have a more credible way of putting the data into the consist file.
That surely needs to consider

(a) the power of the locomotive and the mass and or resistance of the train
(B) the maximum permitted service speed of the rolling stock in the consist and the braking power of the train

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users