Elvas Tower: Columbia Valley Pacific - Elvas Tower

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Columbia Valley Pacific Fictional British Columbia Mining RR in Railworks Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

I spent the last week working on the Columbia Copper smelter at Dog Creek ( see map ). Serving the smelter was the main reason the Columbia Valley Pacific was built and the smelter at Dog Creek is the railroad's biggest customer. Copper smelting requires huge amounts of electricity so these plants are built near hydro electric generating dams. At Dog Creek the hydro dam was built specifically for the smelter. Concentrated ore is moved from the mines to the smelter where it is turned into copper.

Here's an overview of the facility. The CVP main in the lower right is connected to the plant via a six track interchange yard. Local plant switchers move the cars from there to the various buildings and up the steep switchback to the ore dump trestle.
Attached File  24010_20180816075510_2.jpg (341.47K)
Number of downloads: 26

This map provides more detail. Its a lot fun to switch this facility. I can easily waste an hour or even a morning setting up switchlists and operating the local plant switcher.
Attached File  24010_20180816082554_1.jpg (102.47K)
Number of downloads: 31

Dog Creek is a major passenger stop for the CVP. There's a passing siding here and a separate runaround and drill track so the freights can switch the interchange yard without fouling the main. As you can see in this image, I haven't quite settled on my target era yet. Sometimes you'll see 1920's vehicles - and sometimes 1950's - ha ha.
Attached File  24010_20180816081335_1.jpg (291.1K)
Number of downloads: 40

And finally, the best part about the Dog Creek plant is that its served by a traction railway! In fact the idea to make it an electric railway was a main factor in renewing my interest in finishing the CVP. It makes sense that it would be traction since the electrical power source is on site and free. So now I have an excuse to showcase some of the great traction models built by Tim, Paul and others. I think by the time I set up all the available traction models, this little plant railway could end up being one of the best equipped in the country.
Attached File  24010_20180816082156_1.jpg (337.91K)
Number of downloads: 37

There's still plenty of detailing to do a Dog Creek and many structures to build. But I am keen to get the mainline fully operation end-to-end so its time to move on to the next section.

Wayne

#52 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

This is such a cool project! I'm glad to have some small part in it :) The bottom picture is great. I like that box car over on the RIP track being re-trucked. :thumbup3: :thumbup3:

#53 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

I made some major progress on the route over the last week. I completed placement of the natural scenery all along the route. Today I made my first run through reasonably complete looking scenery end to end. This include rivers, lakes, roads, track, bridges, tunnels, power lines, telephone lines, and vegetation. What's missing are the structures - most of the towns are empty still. But I enjoy making these so I am looking forward to the next stage - detailing out each of the towns.

I don't have many pics to post. But here's one from my inaugural run through.

Attached File  24010_20180823094745_1.jpg (414.75K)
Number of downloads: 15

And another to show the incomplete state of most of the towns. Some have a few structures but most are wide open. .. Let the fun begin.

Attached File  24010_20180823094851_1.jpg (253.13K)
Number of downloads: 16

Wayne

#54 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

This is so great! Have you decided on your era yet, Wayne? That is always tough to decide on, in my experience. I know this, the earlier it is, the less stuff there is to model. Shorter trains and more interesting rolling stock, too. Whatever you decide, this route is a peach! :thumbup3: :thumbup3:

#55 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Excellent route modeling Wayne!

Sure wonder how the physics are in that sim. Probably no way of knowing without purchasing/trying it for myself.

What version are you using?

#56 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 23 August 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Have you decided on your era yet ..

Not yet but I've left my options open. I've been careful to choose buildings and scenery that would be suitable for any era from 1920 to 1960. Railworks allows scenery items to be added to individual activities (scenarios). So I can make a scenario for a specific era just by adding the period appropriate automobiles and rolling stock.

View PostCoonskin, on 23 August 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

Sure wonder how the physics are in that sim.

I like running Railworks - but then I don't know much. Railworks has continued to improve their physics since the initial release 10 years ago. Much of the physics is 'scripted' in a little program that comes with each loco. So a loco can be as accurate as the builder wants it to be. A builder can simulate every control in the cab, or just the basics. And there are good models out there and ones that are not so accurate. I would say the biggest weakness is in their simulation of the train's brake pipe. It doesn't do a good job of accounting for the length of the train in representing the time to build or reduce pressure. So on long trains, you may find the brakes too responsive, and on short trains, too slow to respond. I don't know if the other sims do any better at this though.

But the exciting news for Railworks is that DTG will release a new 64 bit version next month. We are all excited about the prospects to break through the 3G memory barrier and push the realism even further.

#57 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, Wayne. I've been watching the upcoming 64 bit release. I will continue to do so.

As for your era:

Well, that's a no-brainer, Wayne. You need to model the mid-to-late 1880s. That way, you'll need to build some great looking engines (2-8-0s and 4-6-0s primarily) and (of course) rolling stock for the route as well. That would not doubt convince me to try my hand with DTG's sim.

Of course, surely by now you know that...

"REAL men, model LINK n' PIN!"

So, there's your era. Now hop to it.

:dance3:

#58 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

View PostCoonskin, on 23 August 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

"REAL men, model LINK n' PIN!"

Yah, who needs fingers.

So brake pipe pressure isn’t an issue for you. Railworks does provide a good simulation of handbrakes including the ability to set them up car by car on a moving train. I had to resort to that the other day when I ran out of air while descending a steep grade on the CVP. I sent the fireman out on top to set up some handbrakes and got my train under control just before reaching the runaway track!

#59 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

I spent time this week working on seasonal variations.

Here's an autumn view near Dog Creek.
Attached File  24010_20180830080133_1.jpg (505.83K)
Number of downloads: 26

Winter ice on Arrow Lake.
Attached File  24010_20180830080804_1.jpg (288.52K)
Number of downloads: 30

Here we are at Logan.
Attached File  24010_20180830075703_1.jpg (451.35K)
Number of downloads: 24

Next up - a nice enclosed type water tank I think ..

Wayne

#60 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

Dadburnnit, Wayne! These look pert'near real!! The first pic is astoundingly close to perfection, to my eye. Similar to an old post card. I love it and would like to share it on my face book page if that's OK with you.

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users