Elvas Tower: Operational turntable - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Operational turntable Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#351 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:28 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 01 February 2023 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hello.

The name in the Animation line must match the name of the rotating part. The name of the first block Animation ("Deck") is incorrect if it is the same turntable as in the second post.
Of course, if it is a unique model where the rotating part is named Deck, then of course it is correct. I named the rotating part HID (bridge). Many other parts are ordered under this, it is more convenient for me. Of course the
turntable(
Animation ( "HID" )
)
format I use.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

https://kephost.net/p/ODU2MjYy.png

The second one mentioned in my turntables.dat code that I posted earlier is the one I'm having trouble with. As a reminder, I've highlighted it in bold green type:

Turntable(
WFile ( "w+001454+010325.w" )
UiD ( 418 )
XOffset ( 0 )
YOffset ( 1.35 )
ZOffset ( 0 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 37298 )
Animation ( "Deck" )
Diameter ( 18.6 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w+001493+010308.w" )
UiD ( 174 )
XOffset ( 0 )
YOffset ( 1.175 )
ZOffset ( 0 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 24864 )
Animation ( "TRACKPIECE" )
Diameter ( 42 )
)

See? it's the one in the green text that's not working.

Its rotating "bidge" is actually labeled "TRACKPIECE", as these pictures prove:

So...now what?

#352 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:05 AM

See? it's the one in the green text that's not working.

Its rotating "bidge" is actually labeled "TRACKPIECE", as these pictures prove:

Unfortunately, I see it. I don't know why it won't work. Everything seems fine. Perhaps there may be a typo in the name of the w file, or in the identification line ( UID ). It's a "I look but I don't see" kind of thing. This is just speculation on my part.

#353 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:48 AM

View Postjonas, on 31 January 2023 - 09:18 PM, said:

Good to can have a look in the "OpenRailsLog.txt". There are some lines come to my attention:

"Warning: Replaced duplicate TrackShape 24864 in F:\MSTS Stuff\Train Simulator\ROUTES\au_ctn_test_route\Openrails\TSECTION.DAT:line 32"
"Warning: Replaced duplicate TrackShape 37298 in F:\MSTS Stuff\Train Simulator\ROUTES\au_ctn_test_route\Openrails\TSECTION.DAT:line 39"

I'm not up to date about the route-local OR tsection.dat, but the named TrackShapes (24864 and 37298) are your turntable tracks.
So somebody else here has an idea what the replaceing of the "dublicate" turntable-TrackShapes caused...

The Openrails\tsection.dat file cannot have TrackShape entries that are already declared in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file and this is probably why the simulator crashes. The TrackShape ( 24864 entry, corresponds to the shape A1t42mTurntable.s and the TrackShape ( 37298 entry corresponds to the shape It2tXoverU170.s according to the file GLOBAL\tsection.dat. Therefore, if the turntable A1t42mTurntable is already declared in the file GLOBAL\tsection.dat It is not necessary to declare it in the Openrails\tsection.dat file.In the Openrails\tsection.dat file, only the shapes that are not declared in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file must be declared and those that have to be declared cannot have a TrackShape that already exists in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file

#354 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:15 AM

View PostTraindude, on 31 January 2023 - 11:25 PM, said:

...And by the way, in reference to the line-numbers mentioned in the log files, does that include or exclude the mandatory blank first line?
I think in includes the blank line.

Two thoughts:

1. your uploaded "a1t42mturntable.s" seems to be okay. The pivot point of "TRACKPIECE" is even centered, so that no 3600 linear_keys are necessary in the animation. In ShapeViewer, the turntable rotates perfectly for me too.

2. in my global XTrack tsection.dat ( Build 00038 ) I can find to index 24864 the 42m turntable by Thomas Pearce, but to index 37298 I find no entry and also "It2tXoverU170.s" does not occur with me, which can be perhaps because of my version.

A bit strange to me, why a "Xover" is declared as turntable in your turntable.dat as first. So far I assumed that Xover is an intersection and not an animated shape like a turntable. Maybe it's the first entry in your turntable.dat that causes problems?

Anyway, it would be helpful to have a look at the tsection.dats you are using. Can you additionally upload the tsection.dat from your GLOBAL directory and also the tsection.dat from the local "Openrails" directory of your route?

What actually happens if you start the route at a location relatively far away from the turntables? And what happens if you don't start in Activity mode but for example only in Explore Route mode? Will there be no crash then?

UpDate: In another global Xtrack tsection.dat (Build 00052) I found the shape "It2tXoverU170.s" with the index 37298. But it just seems to be a crossover to me, it's declared that way anyway. It even has an "XoverPts" entry. Why does you, Traindude, use this TrackShape 37298 as a turntable?
Can you upload a screenshot which shows this turntable in the route?

#355 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 01 February 2023 - 12:26 PM

View Postxavivilla, on 01 February 2023 - 04:48 AM, said:

The Openrails\tsection.dat file cannot have TrackShape entries that are already declared in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file and this is probably why the simulator crashes. The TrackShape ( 24864 entry, corresponds to the shape A1t42mTurntable.s and the TrackShape ( 37298 entry corresponds to the shape It2tXoverU170.s according to the file GLOBAL\tsection.dat. Therefore, if the turntable A1t42mTurntable is already declared in the file GLOBAL\tsection.dat It is not necessary to declare it in the Openrails\tsection.dat file.In the Openrails\tsection.dat file, only the shapes that are not declared in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file must be declared and those that have to be declared cannot have a TrackShape that already exists in the GLOBAL\tsection.dat file

The trackShape for the "old" turntable is in fact 37298. Changing its TrackShape number to something else causes the turntable to become inoperative:

View Postjonas, on 01 February 2023 - 09:15 AM, said:

Why does you, Traindude, use this TrackShape 37298 as a turntable?
Can you upload a screenshot which shows this turntable in the route?

I didn't do it, steamer_ctn did. He created the route, and I just added a larger turntable to turn locomotives that were too big to fit on the pre-existing turntable.

Anyway, it would be helpful to have a look at the tsection.dats you are using. Can you additionally upload the tsection.dat from your GLOBAL directory and also the tsection.dat from the local "Openrails" directory of your route?

Sure.

What actually happens if you start the route at a location relatively far away from the turntables? And what happens if you don't start in Activity mode but for example only in Explore Route mode? Will there be no crash then?

No, it crashes every time I try to load the route. It doesn't matter if I start at a point close to or far away from the turntable, and it doesn't matter if it's Explore or Activity mode. The route always crashes when I try to load it in ORTS. However, it appears that it loads in TSRE perfectly fine.

IMBHO I think that TSRE should've come with tools that simplify the addition of new turntables to routes, and that way we can avoid using text editors and prevent things like this from occurring.

So...now what?

#356 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:24 PM

These are a comparison between my working turntable and yours.
Turntable.dat
Mine shows Animation ( "TRACKPIECE" ). Yours shows Animation ( "Deck" ) and ( "TRACKPIECE" ). There are two different names. Is this correct?
Attached Image: ttbls.jpg
OR Folder contents
Attached Image: orroot.jpg
I have a world file that you have to modify from your original. This goes in the route's OpenRails folder.
Here is the entry I added manually.
Attached Image: w.jpg
Attached File  w-012277+014305.zip (23.35K)
Number of downloads: 98

Randy

#357 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:51 PM

View Poststeved, on 01 February 2023 - 01:24 PM, said:

These are a comparison between my working turntable and yours.
Turntable.dat
Mine shows Animation ( "TRACKPIECE" ). Yours shows Animation ( "Deck" ) and ( "TRACKPIECE" ). There are two different names. Is this correct?
Attachment ttbls.jpg
OR Folder contents
Attachment orroot.jpg
I have a world file that you have to modify from your original. This goes in the route's OpenRails folder.
Here is the entry I added manually.
Attachment w.jpg
Attachment w-012277+014305.zip

Randy

Again, it's the second one I'm having trouble with, not the first. But thanks anyway.

Here is what the turntable entry in the new world file would look like:

This is just an excerpt but is this correct? So this goes in the "OpenRails" subfolder in the route? Do I have to delete the old world file from the WORLD folder?

#358 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

View PostTraindude, on 01 February 2023 - 12:26 PM, said:

...IMBHO I think that TSRE should've come with tools that simplify the addition of new turntables to routes, and that way we can avoid using text editors and prevent things like this from occurring....
Yes, such tools would definitely be desirable. I, like surely most others here, see it the same way. But I think the development of TSRE is over.

View PostTraindude, on 01 February 2023 - 02:51 PM, said:

Again, it's the second one I'm having trouble with, not the first. But thanks anyway.
Sorry, but by now after have a look at the tsection.dats of yours, I think it is the first turntable what possible causes the crash.

In the last screenshot, the first turntable in the foreground seems rather strange to me. What's wrong with the yellow vectors of the "TSRE Tsection Lines"? Why can't they be seen?
Apart from the small image resolution, the yellow "Tsection Lines" are very well visible on your second 42m turntable, although it is further back in the image.
As far as I had understood the track index system of MSTS/ORTS so far, indexes from 40000 are reserved exclusively for flex tracks and only used in the local tsection.dat of the route!
So what is meant by the first turntable TrackShape "BBS-NSWGR-60ft-TT-open2_animate.s" and its index 40001 in your openrails-local Tsection.dat? And why is this shape entered there twice, with index 40001 and then again with index 37298? I stick to my already once expressed assumption that there is something wrong here with this first turntable. Something that steamer_ctn only knows?
Otherwise, I think I'm at my wit's end, at least as far as this kind of remote analysis of the problem is concerned. Advice on changing and manipulating the particular tsection.dat is tricky.

Still: What happens if you omit the local tsection.dat for test purposes? ...or better... What happens if you omit the turntable.dat altogether? At least this should avoid a crash?

#359 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:13 PM

I looked again at the passage in the OR manual on "Route specific TrackSections". Now I know again where my impression come from, that indexes must not be larger than 40000: https://open-rails.r...and-trackshapes

#360 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

I keep saying the same as before, the problem is that A1t42mTurntable.s is declared twice with the same TrackShape, once in GLOBAL\tsection.dat and another in Openrails\tsection.dat
remove statement
TrackShape ( 24864
 FileName ( A1t42mTurntable.s )
NumPaths ( 3 )
 SectionIdx ( 1 0 1.175 0 0 24864 )
 SectionIdx ( 1 -21 1.175 21 90 24864 )
 SectionIdx ( 1 13.4895, 1.175, -4.9131 -40 24864 )
)

from your Openrails\tsection.dat file and try starting the route and if it doesn't crash try moving the turntable.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users