Elvas Tower: Operational turntable - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Operational turntable Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#211 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

I believe Dave's Cal_P Sacramento Shops had a transfer table also.

#212 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

So which is easier to implement? Transfer tables or the ability to have GE diesels breath fire?

Just asking?

Robert

#213 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

Unless I'm wrong about the Freight Animations in ORTS, the breathing fire would be easier. Seems to me one should be able to animate the flames of your choice as an ORTS only Freight animation.

Problem with transfer tables is as has been mentioned, the TSection entries, and the code to make it work. The turntables work as the A1t27m that shipped with MSTS already had the coding to animate it. Others have made follow on models that also contain the groups necessary to animate correctly. Getting the bridge to slide along the pit instead of spin in place is a bit more complicated than a simple bash of the .s file.

Doug Relyea

#214 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:15 AM

I'm not sure if it is right to be discussed here, but I just want to understand what I can rely on. Because I have read here several times that the turntable shape a1t27mturntable.s is supposedly shipped with MSTS: I can not find the shape a1t27mturntable.s among the original MSTS track shapes, but only within XTracks.

Does compatibility of ORTS with MSTS foremost actually means compatibility with XTracks?

#215 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

The default turntable is used at Whitefish on the Marias Pass route. In out of the box MSTS there is several track shapes not registered or used in the Tsection shipped with MSTS. But, The shapes are present in the global shapes folder. Xtracks outright replaced several shapes and made several default shapes usable.

Using a freight animation for the GE flames needs to be coded to work with the engine files and locomotive physics. The fire only happens if certain events take place within the locomotive. These being specific issues with the turbo charger, fuel system, and locomotive computer control system.

For it to work correctly would mean special coding so it can happen when an engine is simulating heavy pulling whether at low speed or track speed while having engine malfunctions.

TRAINZ Simulator does the GE flaming. There is a certain set of payware Uboats that can do the flames under the right conditions. They are the Jointed Rail's U30Cs. Maybe a look at how they are programmed might offer some insight.

Robert

#216 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:31 AM

Why don`t we just ask for a set of Tsection entries "reserved for ORTS"?
It seems a pity to restrict creativity for fear of altering the tsection, which is actually in the MSTS Community control anyway.
Then within our allocated block of entries we could also have some blank ones "ORTS user defined". Then route builders could add their own custom models.
At the moment if route builders want some custom track shapes they are forced to make their route exclusively as a mini-route.
The Global folder is a real nuisance, and all the shapes, textures etc should be in the Route folder. I guess Global is just a relic of 2001 when disk space was precious?
rick

#217 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

rickloader, on 22 December 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

Why don`t we just ask for a set of Tsection entries "reserved for ORTS"?
It seems a pity to restrict creativity for fear of altering the tsection, which is actually in the MSTS Community control anyway.
Then within our allocated block of entries we could also have some blank ones "ORTS user defined". Then route builders could add their own custom models.

That does not solve the problem of avoiding a mini-route.

At the moment if route builders want some custom track shapes they are forced to make their route exclusively as a mini-route.

No, that is just one option. The correct procedure is to reserve your own space in the global Standardized tsection.dat file and incorporate your shapes permanently into it. In my opinion, this is the preferred option to a mini-route, but it does require cooperation with the maintainer of the Standardized file.

The Global folder is a real nuisance, and all the shapes, textures etc should be in the Route folder. I guess Global is just a relic of 2001 when disk space was precious?

Ummm, my Global folder is 1.2 GB. Maybe your disk space isn't precious, but mine sure is. The Global folder makes things simpler by keeping common files in one place. The tsection.dat is what I think you'd rather have per route, but the problem is that routes already have one of those for dynamic track.

#218 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

See post below for OR routes. For MSTS compatibility the current method of collaboration with the Tsection maintainer is a bit of extra work but it is not that hard to do. All you need is to know how many entries you need and request that space. One thing I will mention before requesting SectionID's is to make sure there is not already one present that for what you want to do. There are already a couple that have dual entries and space is limited.

#219 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

I see that it has passed quite unnoticed but OR does presently allow to have route specific TrackShapes and Tracksections. Here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__203606 you can read how. Therefore OR reduces the need to have mini-route installations.

#220 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Csantucci, on 22 December 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

I see that it has passed quite unnoticed but OR does presently allow to have route specific TrackShapes and Tracksections. Here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__203606 you can read how. Therefore OR reduces the need to have mini-route installations.

I haven't noticed it and read it there now. Sounds good to me. Indeed a nice feature I think.
But I would like to keep my routes still compatible with MSTS too. That's why I'll probably have to continue produce mini-routes for the time being.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users