• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lighting in Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Just curious if its possible to have lighting the way Railworks/Train Simulator 2016 has the lighting. Pulling into Chicago Union Station or any other station with a canopy over it still seems really bright in Open Rails yet when you pull into the station in Railworks its dark and the lights above shine down on the tracks and the train.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

That's interesting. I've always thought the opposite (RS/RW/TS201X is always too bright, shadows are never pronounced enough).

The canopy will shadow in OR if it's told to. If I remember correctly, the OR default is to dynamically shadow all objects that have (any) shadows enabled. Unfortunately, too few objects that could benefit from shadows have them turned on. There's a setting to force (dynamic) shadows on all objects, which you can turn on. OR's shadows are 2000% better than ol' MSTS's.

#3 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

IMO, the shadows in OR are one of the best visual features. Makes MSTS trains and routes appear more life like. It's just the tunnels that need this effect enhanced.

Thanks

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

If I recall, the canopy would need the Bounding Box as defined in the Shape Data file (SD) is needed.
I could very well be wrong on this as I may be thinking of precipitation, rain and snow is that which needs a correctly defined Bounding Box. There was a thread discussing this.

regards,
vince

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

View Postjovet, on 28 March 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

That's interesting. I've always thought the opposite (RS/RW/TS201X is always too bright, shadows are never pronounced enough).

The canopy will shadow in OR if it's told to. If I remember correctly, the OR default is to dynamically shadow all objects that have (any) shadows enabled. Unfortunately, too few objects that could benefit from shadows have them turned on. There's a setting to force (dynamic) shadows on all objects, which you can turn on. OR's shadows are 2000% better than ol' MSTS's.

Yes, there is, but (AFAIK) it can only be enabled via the registry. (That might have changed since the last time I used ORTS, which has been about half a year ago due to university).

IIRC, the reg switch shall be created with the other ORTS reg entries as a DWORD and must be named "ShadowAllShapes" (without the quotes). A value of one indicated all shapes are to be shadowed, a value of 0 indicates normal behavior (the switch will also be deleted when set to zero).

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

View Postvince, on 28 March 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

If I recall, the canopy would need the Bounding Box as defined in the Shape Data file (SD) is needed.
I could very well be wrong on this as I may be thinking of precipitation, rain and snow is that which needs a correctly defined Bounding Box. There was a thread discussing this.

The bounding box is for precipitation; shadows are generated from the actual model itself.

#7 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 28 March 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

IIRC, the reg switch shall be created with the other ORTS reg entries as a DWORD and must be named "ShadowAllShapes" (without the quotes). A value of one indicated all shapes are to be shadowed, a value of 0 indicates normal behavior (the switch will also be deleted when set to zero).

Cheers, Markus

You're right Markus...this still can only be altered via the registry.

Maybe it's possible to put this feature in the Options-Menue someday ?

#8 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

I noticed cars (carspawner not static), or track dont cast shadows? I do mean with this feature enabled. I cant imagine its a performance issue as this feature doesnt affect performance much at all.

#9 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostRogue, on 28 March 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Maybe it's possible to put this feature in the Options-Menue someday ?

One of the reasons we've not added the "shadows from nearly everything" option is that it isn't possible for OR to discern which non-shadowed objects it even makes sense to cast shadows from - I've seen floating objects in the sky to control animated aircraft and the like, just to pick one example. If people would be okay with mysterious shadows occasionally, we can add it.

View Postjamesc25313, on 28 March 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

I noticed cars (carspawner not static), or track dont cast shadows? I do mean with this feature enabled. I cant imagine its a performance issue as this feature doesnt affect performance much at all.

Should be easily fixable. The feature does have a significant performance effect, in fact, but it depends on the route: to shadow any object, it must be drawn at least twice (and at most five times), so adding more objects to the shadow group certainly can hurt performance if that's a lot of items.

#10 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Please fix it.
A look to a route plenty of cars with no shadows, and trees and houses shadowing, is a bit strange.

Regards.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users