• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Surfliner 2 Retexturing Giving a favorite route a new look Rate Topic: -----

#221 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Paul, I can't wait for this to be released. Par excellence!

Robert

#222 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Meanwhile, in San Diego...

I posted these shots previously (albeit with more lengthy descriptions), but since they were lost after the boards went down yesterday, here they are again...

Attached Image: SD_Station1.jpg
Jim brought a good point about the default parking lots (visible on the bottom corner in the above shot) having a very cramped layout. My reskin was based on that exact layout (since I wasn't sure how a layout change would affect all parking lots in the route). However, now I'm thinking some experiments with changing the parking lot layout may be be in order, although I'm concerned that some of the static cars in the lots will need to be nudged over throughout the entire route as a result. Luckily, most of the lots aren't crowded with many cars, and I may just need to take out a row or two of spaces, so we'll see how it goes.

Attached Image: SD_Station2.jpg

Children's Park (which was not present in the original route) with a new Civic Pond model. This was fun to build, but I had to take some artistic license with the proportions, since the tracks are too far apart and can't be changed. I also wanted to have added the additional trees & fences present in the real world, but the object count on this tile is already very high, so I decided not to risk further additions.
Attached Image: SD_ChildrensPark1.jpg

Attached Image: SD_ChildrensPark2.jpg

Attached Image: SD_ChildrensPark3.jpg

Petco Park; not much changed here (other than the usual terrtex treatment), except for some new cars in the parking lot.
Attached Image: SD_PetcoPark.jpg

#223 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for reposting the update, it looks excellent Paul. I have a few questions possibly you can answer since I haven't been to SD in many years or south of the station.
1: Has that pond always been there or when was it put in?

2: I've never been sure where exactly the Coaster train sets are stored?

#224 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

View Posthiball3985, on 03 March 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Thank you for reposting the update, it looks excellent Paul. I have a few questions possibly you can answer since I haven't been to SD in many years or south of the station.

To be honest, I've never actually been there, but good research and photos are key! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

1: Has that pond always been there or when was it put in?

It was completed in 1996, just before the Republican National Convention. From what I gather, the name "Children's Park" was meant to sound like a noble gesture, but in reality, there's nothing for children to actually do or play on there. Even the pond is off-limits (probably a good thing, as the cleanliness of the water is questionable), and they seem to be having problems with crime and transients as of late. Fortunately, I believe they're planning a redo to fix most of those issues.

2: I've never been sure where exactly the Coaster train sets are stored?

The main yard is north of Oceanside (near Camp Pendleton), but they also have a small one in San Diego (by the trolley yards; I'm not sure, but that's probably the tail-end of it in the bottom picture of Petco Park).

#225 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Paul,
I was aware of the one north of Oceanside just wasn't sure about the south end. I use to ride the San Diegans and later Surfliners to San Diego but never got south of the station. After my daughter moved to Poway I don't get down there any more..

#226 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

Paul, I have run out of words to describe this beautiful upgrade of a favorite route.

I can't believe they would build a pond under the railroad tracks. That is freakin insane!

I would like to just have the updates for the San Diego-Los Angeles section. Surfliner V1.2 from Jeff. I think I could use Route Riter to accomplish this task? I am unsure about how to detect and delete unwanted tiles if any are shipped with the update.

Robert

#227 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

View Postlateagain, on 06 February 2017 - 01:17 AM, said:

Backdating gets my vote. I think a lot of route builders miss a trick with this. There are a few routes out there (payware included) that have done the same route for different era's. A good route is a good route and what many youngsters fail to realise is that the variation in traffic types, more local sidings etc. can add a whole lot more interest to them. Of course I may be preaching to the converted here on ET? ;-)

Yep. Things like an 1888 version of 3DTS/3DTrains Tehachapi Pass. Caliente, 1888:
Attached Image: 11 Pulling into the station.jpg

#228 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 03 March 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

I can't believe they would build a pond under the railroad tracks. That is freakin insane!

All in the name of public art! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif In actuality, it's two separate ponds, one on each side of the tracks. There's no water under the tracks, but it's designed in such a way (including blue concrete in the walkway between the tracks) to look like a uniform circle of water encompassing the entire area. Personally, I think it's an interesting design (although it's practical/functional design is a different story).

I would like to just have the updates for the San Diego-Los Angeles section. Surfliner V1.2 from Jeff. I think I could use Route Riter to accomplish this task? I am unsure about how to detect and delete unwanted tiles if any are shipped with the update.

I'm afraid that's beyond my level of expertise, but hopefully someone else here has better experience with both Route Riter and splitting routes in general. I have a sneaky suspicion that it may take more tedious editing and file copying, but that's only a guess on my part.

#229 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

View Postpaulytechnic, on 04 March 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

All in the name of public art! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif In actuality, it's two separate ponds, one on each side of the tracks. There's no water under the tracks, but it's designed in such a way (including blue concrete in the walkway between the tracks) to look like a uniform circle of water encompassing the entire area. Personally, I think it's an interesting design (although it's practical/functional design is a different story).

[size="2"]
I'm afraid that's beyond my level of expertise, but hopefully someone else here has better experience with both Route Riter and splitting routes in general. I have a sneaky suspicion that it may take more tedious editing and file copying, but that's only a guess on my part.

The Water Feature https://tinyurl.com/ho5lj5s

Why would anyone want just the updates? Downloading and installing a modified route that's checked and tested is bound to be less problematical?

#230 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Paul, I have run out of words to describe this beautiful upgrade of a favorite route.

Robert
This would be almost impossible to do. The .TDB and a few other things between the two versions is completely different. I went through this trying to put the San Diego-Los Angeles section from V1 that I had modified into V2 when it came out. I don't think RR has a function to do this.
At present time I use both versions, I run San Diego-Los Angeles on V1, I didn't want to lose my modification or build new activities, and Los Angeles-SLO on V2. When Pauls version comes out I will bite the bullet and make new activities.

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users