• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'T' key for refilling steamers doesn't work anymore Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

It's "UK user features" in the "discussion" subforum.

#22 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 01 November 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Hmm, so I wonder if the locomotive Herb is using has a problem with its data then?

I think we should allow something similar to +/- 0.5m for positioning (or larger), which is probably enough of a challenge for most of us to stop in but not unduly so.

I think that's fine; I mean, allowing refuelling outside of a normal refill spot is already a deviation from "reality", so filling up everything is fine.

Given the suggestion was Control + T, I don't think the animated load/unload sequences conflict with it. I've have just spotted that multiplayer texting (sending messages, I think?) is already Control + T, though. In any case, there's plenty of modifiers for T left so just pick one (e.g. Shift + T). :)

(I'd prefer we keep it on T and move other things out of the way instead.)

The original code used for refueling outside the pickup zone used the T key so if we are sure about this, the change will not take long.

Edward K.

#23 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 01 November 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

No, unfortunately, it does not. It matters not how many meters back I set the IntakePoint the sim ignores it and wants to take water as shown in my first snapshot, taken in Explore mode. Last night I started with the engine set to -11M and then to -19M (since it was telling me that the tender hatch was 8M from the water source) and it made no difference.

And James, none of my locos fuel in the proper place - narrow gauge 56 class to Standard gauge cab-forward 4-8-8-2's.

What was said about routes is true. Sometimes they don't have 'working' sources but the need to refuel is there. Such is the case with my RGS - the water tank specifically made for this route has no pickup. So I either have to have this functionality or try to hide a waterspout under the tank. Not always a successful endeavor. :bigboss:

Ps: I still find no discussion on disabling this feature.

I tested this last night with one of my UK Stanier Jubilee locos. Water would only be added if the tender was alongside the waterpipe. Stopping the loco beside it had no effect. Using X3288.

#24 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 November 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

It's "UK user features" in the "discussion" subforum.

That would probably be why I didn't see it. :rolleyes: :bigboss:

#25 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 01 November 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

I tested this last night with one of my UK Stanier Jubilee locos. Water would only be added if the tender was alongside the waterpipe. Stopping the loco beside it had no effect. Using X3288.

How about sharing the .eng file on that loco so I can see how you're set up? The set up on the K-28 test engine is:

IntakePoint ( -11.0 3.0 FuelWater )
IntakePoint ( -8.0 3.0 FuelCoal )

And as I mentioned, no matter what I change the FuelWater line to ORTS wants to fill the engine through the loco's cab vent. :bigboss:

#26 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

Herb,

I just looked at the K-28's and think I noticed something that could be affecting things here... The .eng file shouldn't have any intake points in it. These should actually be in the tender .wag file since the tender is what is actually picking up the fuel and water. This is how all of my engines are set up, and I *think* they do water and fuel pickups correctly on the tender - though my memory is such that I'd have to test it again to make sure. Maybe you can give that a try and see if that makes a difference?

#27 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

OK, mea culpa. My standard gauge engines are making a liar out of me. Somewhere along the line they were fixed. I just tested a Santa Fe 2-8-2 and a UP Big Boy. They fuel up at the tender.

But I mostly run steam on the narrow gauge and the narrow gauge locos are still a problem. Can't figure why. Here's a C-19:
Attached Image: 41 Missed Fill Point.jpg

Where it wants to fill:
Attached Image: 41 Fill Point.jpg

Reversed just to verify that the Needleton tank's pick up point is in the right place:
Attached Image: 41 Reversed Missed Fill Point.jpg

Could it be a Bill Pratt loco thing? Here's Bazza's K-27:
Attached Image: 461 Missed Fill Point.jpg

Now I've had a hand in setting all these engines up and it may be my .eng files - but I did the ATSF 2-8-2 as well! - so I'll be interested to look at your .eng file.

I understand the need to figure out the problem but I would really prefer that the "fill anywhere" functionality were restored. :bigboss:

#28 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:18 PM

View Postmidneguy, on 01 November 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Herb,

I just looked at the K-28's and think I noticed something that could be affecting things here... The .eng file shouldn't have any intake points in it. These should actually be in the tender .wag file since the tender is what is actually picking up the fuel and water. This is how all of my engines are set up, and I *think* they do water and fuel pickups correctly on the tender - though my memory is such that I'd have to test it again to make sure. Maybe you can give that a try and see if that makes a difference?

I'll check that out later. Bazza can verify this, but I believe his engines and subsequently Bill Pratt's engines using my .eng files are set up to be tender not required for operation. As such all of the intake points are in the .eng file and not the tender .wag. I'm busy for the rest of the day so I'll have to look at them later. :bigboss:

#29 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

I would normally automatically upload the fix, but in this case I am including the executables based on V3289 for testing. The automatic refill is still using the the T key, but since Carlo introduced the loading/unloading of coal cars, I want to make sure the automatic refill process for locomotives and tenders is not going to conflict with the new process. As a reminder, the magic number is 2000 meters. Within 2000 meters, the automatic refill process will not work.

Edward K.

Attached File(s)

#30 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

View Postedwardk, on 01 November 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

I would normally automatically upload the fix, but in this case I am including the executables based on V3289 for testing. The automatic refill is still using the the T key, but since Carlo introduced the loading/unloading of coal cars, I want to make sure the automatic refill process for locomotives and tenders is not going to conflict with the new process. As a reminder, the magic number is 2000 meters. Within 2000 meters, the automatic refill process will not work.

As has already been said, I don't think we should use T with no modifier for this and it should not be dependent on distance from fuel points. Pick a new key and make it unconditional please, or provide a good reason not to.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users