• You cannot reply to this topic

'T' key for refilling steamers doesn't work anymore Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:09 AM

PPS Water treatment was used to counter-act the acidity of water sourced from different pH type aquifers. I recollect seeing large puck-like nuggets of something being added to the tender of the Flying Scotsman. Probably because the source was 'hard' water.

CB.

#72 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 03 November 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

What would you prefer? That we prevent people driving steam for long distances on non-period routes? Or just on routes with no coal/water refuelling at all? Why? If it makes you feel any better, when we add activity scoring (or anything similar) pressing Shift + T will be a big negative mark against your evaluation, just like running a red, or breaking a coupler or any number of other things which you'd not get to continue from in real life but which would likely just ruin the fun if strictly replicated.

In reply I will recall that yesterday I was driving an activity on the UK Cambrian Coast route in which water management was a big factor to be able to complete the activity successfully (this is very common with UK activity writers). Whilst driving it, I had that thought, that how much easier it would be if the "refill anywhere" option now made available in OR was available to me then. I did not have that temptation and managed my water usage and successfully completed the activity. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I do not think I would have if the easy way out had been available!

#73 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

I am a fan of managing water and coal/oil and refueling when it is needed at the facilities that are available along the route. I am not a fan of cheesy animations. A spout coming down or swinging around with no person on the tank to pull the chains or a coal chute lowering and dispensing unassisted does nothing for me. I rely on the sim to tell me my water and coal levels. But there are places on the Silverton and the RGS where a chute can be shoved into a side stream and water taken aboard without a fixed tank or standpipe. Instant fueling is made for that. It is also made for routes like my RGS where the tanks and tipples have no PickUps assigned.

Bottom line? You run 'em your way and I'll run 'em mine but the functionality shouldn't be shut off just because a couple of people don't like to use it.

My only desire for auto fueling is that there should be two: Water or Coal, not and. :bigboss:

#74 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 08 November 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

My only desire for auto fueling is that there should be two: Water or Coal, not and. :bigboss:

That is the only major problem with the auto refill. Way back when normal refilling was introduced, I did ask that the auto refill only cover water as that is the one item that gets used fast, fuel lasting much longer.

#75 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

The problem is that as soon such restriction (only water) is introduced in the code, someone will post somewhere writing that it is absolutely necessary to have also coal refilling... :rolleyes:

#76 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

That's cool. I have no run where the engine runs out of coal or oil so I just basically ignore the quantity and deal with the water. Just a 'would be nice' but no necessity. :bigboss:

#77 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

loco.RefillImmediately();

The above procedure is used by MSTSDiesel and MSTSSteamLocomotive. Under MSTSDiesel, it is diesel and under MSTSSteamLocomotive, 2 procedures are called. One for coal and the other for water so blocking the ability to refill coal would not be a big deal. The only thing is that I am sure many people are running steam locomotives on routes that do not have both coal and water?

Edward K.

#78 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

That is true the Clinchfield route has neither water or coal pickup places anywhere

#79 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

The refilling area can still be expanded further. Many of the to do comments include being able to fuel all locomotives in the consist. As it is now, this can only be done if you switch cabs to that particular locomotive. The immediate refill only refills the player locomotive so you would have to switch cabs if you want those locomotives refueled.

Edward K.

#80 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

View Postedwardk, on 09 November 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

The refilling area can still be expanded further. Many of the to do comments include being able to fuel all locomotives in the consist. As it is now, this can only be done if you switch cabs to that particular locomotive. The immediate refill only refills the player locomotive so you would have to switch cabs if you want those locomotives refueled.

Edward K.

I believe this is as it should be for steam locomotives. Each engine takes it's turn at the spout. In some cases, like Tehachapi and Cajon Passes where three engines might be spread out through the train, the engines have to break away and move themselves to one of the multiple spouts at places like Woodford and Keenbrook. Using Ctrl-E this is possible and greatly adds to the realism of the refueling process.

For diesels, they are seldom fueled "on the road" (places like Albuquerque, NM being an exception) but frequently filled at a multi point rack in a yard setting and therefore able to fuel all simultaneously. :bigboss:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users