Elvas Tower: The magic wand for static consists - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The magic wand for static consists Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi,
I believe that I have just managed to successfully perform a similar procedure in the activity "EastBound I" of the ATSF Marceline Sub route. I started in the original startup location.
I stopped the Player train and switched control to Consist STATIC 32780 with the Shift key. This parked the Player Train. I uncoupled the two 32780 locomotives from the static consist cars, and drove it over the tracks forward, backed into the track containing the Player Train and then coupled to the front of the Player Train.
I then transferred control back to the Player Train, switched back to Auto mode, and drove off with a total of four locomotives and the cars of the player train. The new train is named as 32780 in the F7 display, and the STATIC 32780 no longer exists in the Train List.
The only difference I can see is that I coupled to the front.

Cheers,
Sid

#22 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

I haven't yet tested all cases, but neither I was able to reproduce the crash, even coupling at the rear of the former player train. It could be a timing problem, which will be a bit more difficult to find out.
Sid, in your trial there is something strange to me. After coupling and transferring back control to the old player train (by clicking once on the PLAYER line in the TrainListWindow), the player train should be named PLAYER and not 32780 with the F7 window. Moreover it should already be in auto mode, if it was in auto node when you switched to the static consist.

#23 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 November 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

... Sid, in your trial there is something strange to me. After coupling and transferring back control to the old player train (by clicking once on the PLAYER line in the TrainListWindow), the player train should be named PLAYER and not 32780 with the F7 window. Moreover it should already be in auto mode, if it was in auto node when you switched to the static consist.

Carlo: Yes, you are right, I erred in my report - the Player train is named "Player" in F7, and the lead locomotive expands to its original name "32780-0" with Shift+F7. But in my Dispatcher window the Player train is now labelled as "32780", even though the Dispatcher window also shows the remains of the static train as "32780".
I ran another similar sequence in the "Sibley Local" activity on the same route, which was written to pick up two helper locomotives, and it behaved exactly as you describe.
I will see if I can reconstruct or repeat my first sequence.

All in all, it is now an amazing capability. Congratulations!

Cheers,
Sid

#24 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

OK, that's what occurs to me too. I haven't completely adapted dispatcher window names with F7 names. I believe they were different also before my modifications.

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

By the way, I'm not able to reproduce railguy's crash.

#26 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

When I get some extra time, I will run the activity again with a different static consist to see if the problem is in a particular locomotive or wagon. Unfortunately, the helper pick up is better than an hour into the activity, so it will take awhile to get to the point where I can test the different consist.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users