Elvas Tower: steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:52 AM

Mervyn (copperpen) is right. The same occurs to me with the Gölsdorf.

#22 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:01 AM

Good news in a way: I have tested it on another PC (Win7) with version X3517 and there is no bug, the chuff sound shuts off with the closed throttle, as with you. The error occurs on my main computer with WinVista. I will make further tests on other computers during the day and then I will report here again. Thank you for your time and patience so far.

#23 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

I've made a series of tests today about the chuff sound with 11 versions of OR on 3 different computers each. The result can be seen in the table below.

"OK" means that on running locomotives and closed throttle the chuff sound is turned off. "No" means you can hear the chuff sound continuously after closing the throttle (bug):
Attached Image: PC-Vergleich.jpg
In the bold column left, my main computer can be seen, why I became aware of the bug. Since version X3513 on my WinVista and WinXP computer the bug is present.

Hard to say for me whether it is up to the PC itself or the operating system. Intressting that on the win7 machine the version X3507 to X3510 shows the bug too.

#24 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

I have tested a fourth computer, an old DELL 2.0 GHz with winXP (right column). Surprisingly, it's working fine like the win7 computer (second column), where the bug occurs with versions X3507 to X3510, but not with one of the current versions X3519.

Attached Image: PC-Vergleich02.jpg

Now I think it is clearly not a matter of the OS but a hardware problem, probably the sound card. Anyway, since version X3513 ("adjusted friction coeff calculations,...") the bug on some computers happens.

Is there any interest that I test further computers concerning to this bug?

#25 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

Not quite sure how adjusting friction coeff calculations has an effect on sounds controlled by the throttle, beyond them sounding faster when wheelslip happens.

#26 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, I'm with you copperpen.

Please, can someone name the concerning *.cs file(s) of the source code, where the throttle is controlled?

#27 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

I think I've figured it out. It has nothing to do with the hardware of different computer or the operating system. The bug occurs when the option "advanced adhesion model" is deselected. The Variable1 depends on the wheel speed and this is only calculated if the "advanced adhesion model" is active.

How I have found it:

1. in Sound.cs at line 1715 in case of variable1 trigger Variable1_Inc_Past the line return car.Variable1; is selected. But car.Variable1 was always 0 while debugging.

2. in MSTSSteamLocomotive.cs at line 1635 car.Variable1 is calculated by using WheelSpeedMpS:
Var variable1 = WheelSpeedMpS / DriverWheelRadiusM / MathHelper.Pi * 5;
But WheelSpeedMpS was always 0 while debugging.

3. in MSTSSteamLocomotive.cs from line 3684 WheelSpeedMpS is calculated only if (Simulator.UseAdvancedAdhesion) // only set slip when advanced adhesion is set.

So I suggest to insert an else statement at line 3746 where "WheelSpeedMpS" gets a value different from 0, if "advanced adhesion model" is off.

Thanks to Carlo for the support finding relevant code lines.

Best regards
jonas

#28 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

View Postjonas, on 25 April 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

I think I've figured it out. It has nothing to do with the hardware of different computer or the operating system. The bug occurs when the option "advanced adhesion model" is deselected. The Variable1 depends on the wheel speed and this is only calculated if the "advanced adhesion model" is active.

Hopefully it is now corrected in #3531.

Thanks for the effort to debug the problem.

#29 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:15 AM

jonas,
thanks to you for your contribution.

#30 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

I'm happy since #3531. Closed throttle mutes variable1 controlled chuff sound while loco is driving now again, with and without "advanced adhesion model".

Thanks to steamer_ctn for fixing it promtly!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users