Elvas Tower: steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream steam exhaust strokes controlled twotimes in sms stream Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:58 AM

I have been testing with three different steam locomotives. Two of them stop chuffing when the throttle is closed, the third one does not. The two that work use Variable2 to control the volume the other one uses speed.

I have always felt that using speed to control the volume is wrong because you can have loud or quiet, hard or soft sounds at any point in the curve. Using speed does not give you any control of sounds linked to throttle or reverser, it is merely a linear increase/decrease.

#12 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:31 AM

The SMS file shown in post #1 corresponds mainly to those of the two MSTS standard locomotives "Gölsdorf 380" and "Scotsman". There the chuff sounds are also selected with "Speed_Inc_Past / Speed_Dec_Past". The fade-in and -outs are realized with a speedcontroled "VolmeCurve" too.

The problem is about the 4 rows at the top of the showed SMS file where "Variable1_Inc_Past / Variable1_Dec_Past" is used to mute the chuff wav files (switch it on / off). These 4 lines work in MSTS properly, not only in my steam engines, but also in other freeware steam locomotives:

Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past   0.05    SetStreamVolume ( 1.0 ) )
                                        Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past   0.05    SetStreamVolume ( 0.0 ) )
                                        Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past   -0.05   SetStreamVolume ( 0.0 ) )
                                        Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past   -0.05   SetStreamVolume ( 1.0 ) )

Since Carlo's code changes in October 2015 in Version X3288:
"Bug fix for https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1511816 Variable1 in steam locos is not zeroed at zero throttle."
the 4 lines have worked very well in OR too.

Now I guess that Carlo's bugfix is neutralized by some code changes since about april 10 in version X3504 (?). The 4 lines have once again no effect. The chuff sound is still heared at running locotives though the throttle is closed.

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

The speed controlled volume curve was done to enable crossfade between sound files, it never worked to provide an actual sound volume that was controllable in any way. Using Variable2 to control the volume removes the need for anything to mute the sound.

Stuart Williamson made a few soundsets back in 2002 that all use the Variable2 volume control method. These became the defacto standard for MSTS UK steam if you wanted something better than the KUJU default.

#14 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

I'm not sure if I understand this argumentation. Should the here mentioned bug be dismissed by pointing to Stuart Williamson, who allegedly created a "MSTS UK" standard? I thought so far that OR will be compatible to MSTS as possible and not with standards from else where.

I made a lot of soundtests by myself since 2003 (with Variable1 and Varable2). I decide to Variable1 doing it. And it works fine with MSTS. Does this mean that I have created a kind of MSTS DE standard? I don't think so. I only found one way how MSTS can handle it.

I'm not asking here for the diversity of methods how to mute sounds in a SMS file in OR. Rather, I try to mention a bug that occurs in OR, but not in MSTS.

There is no problem with the "speed controlled volume curve". It works fine in MSTS and OR!

So again, please let us be focused on the 4 rows of the SMS file where Variable1 is used:

Briefly: (Why) Is it a problem to mute the chuff sound in OR according to Variable1 too, how it has worked for 4 month?

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

forget the "discussion" about volume curves. There is nothing wrong with the OR code, no bug. I have dropped your four code lines into the default Golsdorf, one set for each stream and the chuff sound shuts off when the throttle is closed. Using X3617.

#16 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

I will try it the same way you wrote. I think you mean version X3517?

#17 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

I dropped my four lines into the default Golsdorf like you and it worked in MSTS but not in OR. The chuffs are still heard although the throttle is closed and the Golsdorf is driving.

Is there an option I should used? At option "Audio" I used with and without "MSTS Bin compatible sound".Option "Sound detail level" is at 5. Using X3517. What did I do wrong?

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Golsdorf has two "chuff" sound streams. Those four lines need to be at the start of each stream. With only one set in the first stream, the second stream will not shut down when the throttle is closed. I am using Bin compatible and sound level 5, and yes, I meant X3517.

#19 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I was aware of the two "chuff" streams in the Golsdorf. Actually I set the four lines 5 times in the Golsdorf SMS file, because of the second and third "ScalabiltyGroup". And it worked god, but only in MSTS.

Meanwhile I've tested it on another PC (Notebook) with an older version X3482 and it works fine there as I know it from X3288. I'm sorry, but in my eyes it is a problem of not right reacting to Variable1 in the actual version X3517.

There is another not working stream which uses Varable1. In the complete SMS file as shown in post #1 I use a squeak sound controled by Variable1. Nothing is heard of this squeak in OR, but in MSTS:

Stream ( Skip( Noise when throttle is moved and loco is driving )
				Priority ( 6 )
				Triggers ( 8
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past  	0.0005	PlayOneShot ( 1	File ( "Zisch01_Jm.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod (SequentialSelection) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past  	0.0005	ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past 	-0.0005	PlayOneShot ( 1	File ( "Zisch02_Jm.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod (SequentialSelection) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past 	-0.0005	ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past  	0.0005	PlayOneShot ( 1	File ( "Zisch02_Jm.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod (SequentialSelection) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past  	0.0005	ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Dec_Past 	-0.0005	PlayOneShot ( 1	File ( "Zisch01_Jm.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod (SequentialSelection) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable1_Inc_Past 	-0.0005	ReleaseLoopRelease () )
				)
			)

#20 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:59 PM

I find it strange that your four lines of code are not working for you, but they do for me when tested using the Golsdorf 380. I have each stream in SG5 set up like
 Stream (
				Priority ( 6 )
				Triggers ( 16
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  .2	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  5	ReleaseLoopRelease () )	

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  8	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise3.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  13	ReleaseLoopRelease () )	

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  16	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise5.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  21	ReleaseLoopRelease () )	

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  24	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise7.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  29	ReleaseLoopRelease () )					

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past  29	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise7.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  24	ReleaseLoopRelease () )					

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  21	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise5.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  16	ReleaseLoopRelease () )					

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  13	StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise3.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  8	ReleaseLoopRelease () )					

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 5		StartLoop ( 1	File ( "a380_power_cruise1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past  .2	ReleaseLoopRelease () )					
				)

and when I close the throttle the chuff is shut off.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users