• You cannot reply to this topic

Out of memory exception Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostChrisD, on 05 July 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

As I see it, the LAA process may be to blame for the Out of Memory error, but does not explain the heavily increased GPU Load.

My reported GPU loads are as reported by GPU-Z.

Frame rate in OR is 15 with X3181 and 11 with X3182, but memory seems to be heavily restrained as the logfile suddenly overflows with memory exceptions and finally OR gives up.

There must be a way to find out what is bothering my GPU that much..

ChrisD

All I did was to increase the size the of the precipitation box to allow for more weather options. Evidently OR is not handling something properly. My system is using Windows 7 64bit, has 8 gigs of memory and is using EVGA's 760 OC video card. At least on my system, all appears to be running well. In fact, on my system one of my tests included upping the MaxIntensity to the point that the snow fall was that thick. In this test, I was running LAA and I did not experience any crashing, but my frame rate did go down.

Edward K.

#22 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 05 July 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

The new precipitation effects have zero impact on CPU or GPU loads on my rig. Max is a 2% increase in the GPU load with it turned on. My FPS however are much higher than those of chrisd. 58 to 60 in general with fps locked to monitor refresh rate.

Same here. There are systems out there that evidently can't handle it. What video card are you using? My card is EVGA's 760 OC.

Edward K.

#23 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Mine is an Asus GTX750Ti OC with 2GB of vram. The one before that was an EVGA gtx650Ti OC with 1GB of vram. FPS are the same with both cards. The bigger one gives less stutter on tile loads.

#24 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

I seem to recall a post where someone mentioned that graphic cards may be 24bit instead of 32bit. Is there any possibility that this may be the case???

Edward K.

#25 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

The person who started this post is evidently using a AMD Radeon card. I left a question with the bug post regarding the card being used. Is there any possibility that this issue is centered around the Radeon card?

Edward K.

#26 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

Using X3190, I am uploading 2 executables. The LAA file needs to be tested. For those who have been experiencing any issues, and this is including the GPU load, please test this this to see if there is any improvement.

Edward K.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  X3190.zip (1.24MB)
    Number of downloads: 159

#27 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

Downloaded and installed the two Runactivity files.

RunactivityLAA.exe 1.857 Mb GPU load is back to 'normal', that is in the mid Fourties. When the train starts to move, the framerate drops and in a few moments we reach the dreaded Out of Memory Exception and CTD.
Runactivity.exe 1.857 Mb GPU load 'normal', CTD even before the train starts to move.

'Upgraded' to Build X3190 to test. Now RunactivityLAA.exe is 1.61 Mb only. GPU load is back through the roof and a few moments after the train has started moving, CTD (Our of Memory Exception)
Runactivity.exe, 1.61 Mb CTD.

Back to Build X3181, now it works OK.

Hope this helps.

Want some logfiles, just ask :sign_thanks:

Best of luck hunting down the 'GPU-eater) :I-Agree:.

ChrisD

#28 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

ChrisD

Reading through your posts and your logs I see that you have a view distance of 10Km which adds up to a lot of tiles. I run mine at 3.5Km, or 3500 meters which is more than enough while in cabview. I doubt very much if there are any scenery items out there that have a 10Km LOD. I feel it is this excessively large viewing distance that is contributing to the abnormally high GPU loads. Mine under load never reaches the level yours is showing as normal except on routes like the PRR when load is 30-33% in New York or other large city. Add precipitation and the usage rises to 40%. Max the precipitation and usage hits 99%, but still does not crash.

#29 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

Chris,

Back your viewing distance down to under 5000 and try the initial experimental version where the problem was first noted. There would have to be a limit somewhere and I have to wonder if your current settings already placed you close to the limit.

Edward K.

#30 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

View Postedwardk, on 06 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Chris,

Back your viewing distance down to under 5000 and try the initial experimental version where the problem was first noted. There would have to be a limit somewhere and I have to wonder if your current settings already placed you close to the limit.

Edward K.

Edward.

Your latest post surprises me genuine.

OK, i can lower my viewing distance, but that does not cure the disease that has been inrtoduced, namely the fact that my graphics card, no matter what viewing distance I select, is gobbling up 3 times more power than before..

I am talking about 130 plus Watts of extra consumption.

You may already have found a solution to this. The two executables You offered me to download and test cured the heavy GPU load. I hope this remedy makes its way into the official build.

However this does not cure the next big problem, namely that this feature is using lots of precious memory.

At this time in history, we are confined to 3 or 4 GigBytes of RAM.

To make room for more raindrops, I am forced to reduce my visual range, but I may also be forced to abandon another great featue other developers have introduced me to.

I am takling about OR being able to run a Timetable, meaning I can have dozens of trains active at any one time.

Every train needs memory to run, and all is taken from this scarce pool of only 3 - 4 GigaBytes.

I like Your idea of improved precipitation, but until more RAM is available, I think this feature should be stored for later implementation.

Right now I feel that the improved precipitation feature is transforming OR from a Train Simulator into a Weather Sim.

I predict that more bug reports will come along when users, trying to run a tightly packed schedule, hits the ceiling.

I sincerely hope You find a solution to the memory problem, and if You can´t, You will decide that the time for improved weather in OR may not have matured, yet.

A compromise will be to make the improved precipitation, selectable, so users can choose between more Trains or more Raindrops.

For me, I will just have to stick with X3181.

ChrisD

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users