• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future of precipitation. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

I may sound DUMB :bigboss: but how about a completely new precipitation system, taking some inspiration from how precipatition effects are implemented in other train sims ..... :)

#22 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

James,

I split the 32bit process to non LAA usage and LAA usage. What would be the ideal memory usage? The critical situation is evidently when the LAA option is not used. The information below is from my latest executable that I uploaded for testing.

non LAA usage
Allocation for 472,799 particles:
      75,647,840 B RAM vertex data
      11,347,176 B RAM index data (temporary)
      75,647,840 B VRAM DynamicVertexBuffer
      11,347,176 B VRAM IndexBuffer

83MB used.

LAA usage
Allocation for 984,605 particles:
      157,536,800 B RAM vertex data
      23,630,520 B RAM index data (temporary)
      157,536,800 B VRAM DynamicVertexBuffer
      23,630,520 B VRAM IndexBuffer

173MB used.

Edward.

#23 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hamza97, on 24 June 2015 - 12:33 AM, said:

I may sound DUMB :sweatingbullets: but how about a completely new precipitation system, taking some inspiration from how precipatition effects are implemented in other train sims ..... :)

If you have any suggestions for open world games (train sim or not) that have good weather effects, I'm sure we can see what they're up to. :)

edwardk, on 24 June 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

I split the 32bit process to non LAA usage and LAA usage. What would be the ideal memory usage? The critical situation is evidently when the LAA option is not used. The information below is from my latest executable that I uploaded for testing.

The ideal memory usage is 0. ;)

Seriously though, there isn't a fixed number any of us can say is the right limit. It's always a balance between good effects and everything else that needs to appear visually. That said, given we're only using a couple of MB currently, I don't think we want to increase it much beyond 25-50MB because that is 10-20x - a sizable increase.

You may be able to change the sizes of the precipitation area to further improve things without increasing the particles beyond the 25-50MB limit too - we may well not be making optimal use of the particles. You may have done this already, though.

And indeed, it's likely that we should be using different methods for near and far precipitation (such as textures with multiple particles drawn on) but that's something that will have to come later.

#24 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

James Ross, on 24 June 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

If you have any suggestions for open world games (train sim or not) that have good weather effects, I'm sure we can see what they're up to. ;)

The ideal memory usage is 0. :sweatingbullets:

Seriously though, there isn't a fixed number any of us can say is the right limit. It's always a balance between good effects and everything else that needs to appear visually. That said, given we're only using a couple of MB currently, I don't think we want to increase it much beyond 25-50MB because that is 10-20x - a sizable increase.

You may be able to change the sizes of the precipitation area to further improve things without increasing the particles beyond the 25-50MB limit too - we may well not be making optimal use of the particles. You may have done this already, though.

And indeed, it's likely that we should be using different methods for near and far precipitation (such as textures with multiple particles drawn on) but that's something that will have to come later.

You are correct that I have done it already. Both precipitation area and intensity setting go hand in hand so at this point its a matter of balancing both. The reason why I asked about the memory usage is that there are systems being used by people who are unable to take advantage LAA. Memory usage would aleady be tight enough with the other processes running. I can bring the non LAA usage down further without sacraficing too much. I can do the same for LAA usage, but would be nice to leave enough eye candy. Besides, I have pushed my system using LAA and I have not experienced any crashing. The area that will take a hit is the frame rate. In this situation, its possible a high end system may be able to work with the increased particle count.

As far as improvements are concerned, I have a feeling that we would have to switch to a different graphic engine for this.

Edward K.

#25 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

edwardk, on 24 June 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

As far as improvements are concerned, I have a feeling that we would have to switch to a different graphic engine for this.

This statement makes no sense to me. What makes you think we cannot do better with XNA and DirectX 9? Don't forget that we're just using XNA to access DirectX, we're not using any of its game features - so we're not limited by them either. We can't use DirectX 10 and 11 features, but we're not exactly pushing DirectX 9 here at all (we're not even using instancing!).

#26 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

After much testing, I am happy to say that the precipitation work I have been working on is completed. I am sure there is something else that can be done, but the important items that were part of the expansion of the precipitation box is completed. The crashing that use to take place on the non LAA process has been taken care of. The executables are base on X3180. Replace both executables.

For the non LAA process, I adjusted the box size and intensity value so that its taking up about 54MB to 56MB. For LAA, I made minor changes even though there were no problems.

James, I left the the trace command in place.

Edward K.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  3180.zip (1.24MB)
    Number of downloads: 138

#27 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

edwardk, on 27 June 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

For the non LAA process, I adjusted the box size and intensity value so that its taking up about 54MB to 56MB. For LAA, I made minor changes even though there were no problems.

James, I left the the trace command in place.

That size seems good - though we will of course monitor for feedback. I've updated and approved the blueprint. Please remove the trace command or put it inside an #if which is undefined.

#28 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

This has been submitted since X3182. I have been running non-LAA quite extensively without any issues.

Edward K.

#29 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Great, thanks!

#30 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

I had a first test on this feature, and in effect rain looks better now :sign_thanks:
However there is an issue:
To decide if the player has at his disposal two or more GB of memory, bool Program.Simulator.Settings.UseLargeAddressAware is now used. This does not reflect the real memory situation in my opinion, as it is possible to use the LAA executable and yet have only two GB available, when in a 32 bit Windows the LAA switch has not been set. Instead of the above bool, GC.GetTotalMemory(false) / 1024 / 1024 should be used, as it is in HUDWindow.cs, line 788.
I am a typical case of a person using the LAA executable (because it is the default), but not having enabled my 32 bit Windows to extend application to 3 GB (not having it enabled is the default, and may also be advisable if you have only 4 GB of RAM). As I am using defaults for my configuration, I think I am not the only one.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users