• You cannot reply to this topic

animation frames per second MSTS vs OR is this a bug? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 April 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

The fix of Jijun does not work well, it creates a worse problem: if you run a steam loco, all moving parts (are they called gears?) don't move and the wheels connected to such moving parts don't turn. You can check it e.g. with the Flying Scotsman.
I too had tried that fix with the aim of uploading it, but renounced because of this problem. It's a bit more complicated...

A miraculous Problem with this animation speed of 1.5 FPS in animated shapes:
1) R H Steele has a shape with a animation speed of 1.5 FPS in a route that produce Warnings and doesn't work in OR, but work in MSTS

2) I try to help, decompress a animated shape reduce the animation speed from 5 to 2.5
Result: it works in MSTS (half animation speed), it doesn't work in OR and produce Warnings.

3)Jijun Tang try to help, he produce the X 2961 it works for my decompressed shape in OR
But now compressed animated shape are not working in OR, there is no animation at locomotives gears.
Jijun Tang revert his correction with X 2965

4) James has written a interesting replay about different formats of this animation speed in uncompressd and compressd shapes.
ET was out of service last night and now in the restoration we have lost his replay?

5) now I wanted to try me animated shape (reduced speed 2.5 FPS) compressed in MSTS.
RESULT: the SFM (ShapeFileManager) is not able to compress shape files with a animation speed format of 2.5 FPS
I have decompressed my original animated shape, change the speed to 2.5 FPS and try to recompress the shape, it doesn't work.
If y change back the speed to 5 FPS I can compress it!!!

now we need the Help of R H Steele:
I hope he can send us his untouched original animated shape from his problemroute, and we will see if this is compressed or not???

Perhaps James will decide what is to do for OR

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

Oh dear, lost messages.

The gist of my reply was this: binary (compressed) shape files cannot use floating point values because storing them uses a completely different format to integer values, where as the text (uncompressed) shape files have no problem because an integer value in text is also a floating point value.

The fix for OR is to use ReadInt in binary mode and ReadFloat in text mode.

#13 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PosteugenR, on 02 April 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

A miraculous Problem with this animation speed of 1.5 FPS in animated shapes:
1) R H Steele has a shape with a animation speed of 1.5 FPS in a route that produce Warnings and doesn't work in OR, but work in MSTS

2) I try to help, decompress a animated shape reduce the animation speed from 5 to 2.5
Result: it works in MSTS (half animation speed), it doesn't work in OR and produce Warnings.

3)Jijun Tang try to help, he produce the X 2961 it works for my decompressed shape in OR
But now compressed animated shape are not working in OR, there is no animation at locomotives gears.
Jijun Tang revert his correction with X 2965

4) James has written a interesting replay about different formats of this animation speed in uncompressd and compressd shapes.
ET was out of service last night and now in the restoration we have lost his replay?

5) now I wanted to try me animated shape (reduced speed 2.5 FPS) compressed in MSTS.
RESULT: the SFM (ShapeFileManager) is not able to compress shape files with a animation speed format of 2.5 FPS
I have decompressed my original animated shape, change the speed to 2.5 FPS and try to recompress the shape, it doesn't work.
If y change back the speed to 5 FPS I can compress it!!!

now we need the Help of R H Steele:
I hope he can send us his untouched original animated shape from his problemroute, and we will see if this is compressed or not???

Perhaps James will decide what is to do for OR

list of files: (initially found in the shapes of the Sal Florida Division route -- but also appeared in other routes)
ci_flasher_dual.s
ci_flasher_single.s
ci_grscant1.s
ci_lightunit.s

All the shape files with an animation speed of 1.5 were uncompressed. That made is easier to correct them. I believe I have backups of the originals, but anyone should have these, they appear in other routes and all had the animation FPS of 1.5

I changed all the 1.5 to 3, from what I read this animation speed should now work in both OR an MSTS (don't really care about this aspect). I left the files uncompressed, they are small I have plenty of disk space.. The only reason to compress shape files is to save disk space .. correct?

edit: note to board users: red text appears fine against white ...against the board default grey it is difficult to read. Can a moderator change the color?

#14 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

So I think, the route-builder has modified the animation time later on manually?
yes, you can use 1 or 2 or 3 what you prefer as animation speed for MSTS and for OR
yes, you can let the shape uncompressed for OR and for MSTS

EugenR

#15 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

EugenR, thanks for all your time spent on this issue.

View PosteugenR, on 02 April 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

So I think, the route-builder has modified the animation time later on manually?

I agree, that is what probably happened.

View PosteugenR, on 02 April 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

yes, you can use 1 or 2 or 3 what you prefer as animation speed for MSTS and for OR and yes, you can let the shape uncompressed for OR and for MSTS

Just as I thought. Thank you.

So far no other animation frame rate warnings have appeared. I'm not doing this systematically, just as I use the routes, haphazard way of going about it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users