counter or odometer Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostSid P., on 27 March 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

BTW, for those who have not been following this topic, the odometer is still turned on with Ctrl+Z, and turns off whenever the count reaches zero. It changes the count direction depending on the loco direction lever.
Cheers,

Thank you for the clarification, Sid.

#12 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostSid P., on 27 March 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

It changes the count direction depending on the loco direction lever.

Just for clarification, is doesn't change the direction in world depending on the loco direction lever, unless it is reseted again. So if the train headed to west, then the odometer negative direction will be also west after first reset, and the number decreases. If you change the train direction to east, then odometer's negative direction still stays to west. Certainly in this case the number will increase. After second reset, the odometer direction is flipped to match the train heading, and the new negative direction will be to east. This behavior is according to real world manual.

#13 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the clarification Sid and Peter. I do like the appearance of the counter and that it is not part of the track monitor. Am I correct in assuming that resetting of the counter it not yet implemented? If not, how does one reset the counter such as when entering a siding?

Many thanks.

Gary

#14 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostGary54, on 27 March 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification Sid and Peter. I do like the appearance of the counter and that it is not part of the track monitor. Am I correct in assuming that resetting of the counter it not yet implemented? If not, how does one reset the counter such as when entering a siding?

Many thanks.

Gary

When you click Ctrl+Z, the counter is automatically set to the length of your train, so it now tells you how far the train has to move before the other end of the train reaches the point where you clicked Ctrl+Z. When the other end of the train reaches that point, the counter will be zero, and will close. For example, if you you set the counter just as you are passing the entrance to a siding that you will be reversing into, you know that you can change the switch and reverse into the siding when the counter reaches zero - the rear end of your train will be at the entrance.

Cheers,

#15 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks very much, Sid.

Gary

#16 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

I did not know about the Ctrl-Z option. I like that setup very much. But one question, is there a way to possibly make that popup info come open in a box that can be moved. It would be nice to move it as needed depending on the cab of the loco a person might be using.

#17 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

While good currently in operation... I wouldn't mind also retaining the option to keep the counter somewhere to get the overall mileage of my whole trip really. I kind of liked that. Just my 2¢ though!

#18 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hello !
Sorry, but Ctrl+Z doesn't replace in any way the old odometer : it only indicates how long is the train... Without odometer, no way to anticipate a step, for instance... I really don't see what is the advantage of such a suppression ! If all indications are suppressed, it's sure we'll get a clear view, but by no way an interesting game.... It's exactly like having suppressed RPM indication on F5 for Diesel engines : for those fitted with à mechanic gear box, we are compelled to display more complete indications with Shift+F5.. or changing gear with ear... or having a reliable RPM-Meter...!
Having a clear view is certainly a good thing, but please let the choice for those who want to get more complete informations !
Best regards,
JPaul

#19 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 26 March 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I also thought it was a fine solution, the clutter was really quite minimal. At the very least an option could be provided to display for those that wished.
How'bout that? Any responses, votes.

Hello,
I agree for a vote : this decision of deleting odometer indication - which was as useful as a minimal clutter - seems to be inappropriate. It may be interesting to know what mileage has been accomplished, and also in what location we are (for instance, to anticipate a step...). I don't really understand in what sense it's a progress in terms of realism !
Best regards,
JPaul

#20 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

I have a suggestion for the Ctrl+Z odometer ... is it possible to code the display so it can be positioned by the user? Perhaps saving the position as a user preference.

Or is this just a temp position for practical purposes until something can be worked out within the cab view (example - like RUN8 uses)

(edit: it might have helped if I had actually read the above posts, #16 especially! )

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users