• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

changes tracktype are inaudible in inside view Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   palatino 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:trainsim

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

changes tracktype are inaudible in inside view (create in the .wag file), for example, when you enter in a tunnel.
however with insideview create in the .eng file, the sound variation are audible

thank

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

The changes of tracktype are made when the player locomotive passes over the tracktype change point. So, if you are in a passenger view, this change happens with a time delay depending from the distance between locomotive and wagon and from the train speed. Not so nice, but it is so. Do you know how it is in MSTS?

#3 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 24 March 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

Not so nice, but it is so. Do you know how it is in MSTS?

In MSTS the sound changes at the correct point for cab and all internal views. I have had for some years a rather extensive personal mod that replicates this behaviour.

Dennis

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

View Postdennisat, on 24 March 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

In MSTS the sound changes at the correct point for cab and all internal views. I have had for some years a rather extensive personal mod that replicates this behaviour.

Dennis

How many treasuries do you hide, Dennis? :byecry: Could you share this mod?

#5 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 24 March 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

Could you share this mod?

I can, it will take me a day or two to extract it from other mods I have to the sound system.

I make a lot of mods because I like to hear or see things a certain way, not because I think they are generally "better" :byecry: . This is a big advantage of Open Source software. Other people may not like the effects of my mods. Indeed, I have sometimes removed authorised changes because I prefer the way it was originally. This, of course, often causes me problems when new authorised changes clash with what I've done; I am building myself a maintenance problem :thumbdown3: ! I don't offer my mods unless someone else wishes for the same effects as me.

I have recently been testing a mod to dispense with a lock on SoundRegions which you may like to consider when I have tidied it up. I know James is keen on eliminating locks :).

Dennis

#6 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View Postdennisat, on 24 March 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

I can, it will take me a day or two to extract it from other mods I have to the sound system....

Attached is my Sound patch which enables Track Type sounds to be audible in cabview and all internal views as they pass the correct track position. The patch is based on X2949. I hope it is some use.

Dennis

Attached File  TTypeSound.zip (2.41K)
Number of downloads: 180

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Dennis,
I'm looking at your sound patch and will test it. Could you pls. comment on the expected effects of your patch on memory usage, CPU load and number of active sound sources?

#8 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 26 March 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Could you pls. comment on the expected effects of your patch on memory usage, CPU load and number of active sound sources?

My testing indicated that memory usage was virtually the same but CPU usage was noticeably lower with the patch. Also, sound stuttering seemed to be less with the patch but that is, of course, a subjective observation. The number of active sound sources should not change. However, in my view MSTSWagonViewer did not load Track Sound Sources correctly - it merely added the default Track Sound as a normal Car Sound Source. In my opinion, MSTSLocomotiveViewer loaded Track Sounds correctly so I combined all Car (includes Loco) Track Sound Source loads into MSTSWagonViewer using the MSTSLocomotiveViewer code. This has the effect of "hiding" Track Sounds if you use the Sound Debug Form so it may look as though the number of Sound Sources has gone down. The Sound Debug Form does not drill down far enough to list Track Sounds.

Dennis

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

I couldn't find problems in this patch, and it works as intended, so I uploaded it in release 2954. Dennis, thank you very much! :pardon: That was an important contribution for all sound lovers :D

#10 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 28 March 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

..That was an important contribution for all sound lovers :D

I'm feeling rather flattered :pardon:. I hope others like it and it doesn't cause any problems down the line.

Dennis

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users