• You cannot reply to this topic

Activities: Location Events "the train must be stopped" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Hi Folks,

I don't think "the train must be stopped" works for location events in ORTS - at least I couldn't seem to make it work.

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

Will have to check, but IIRC, I have had that condition working numerous times (my activities, mostly long-haul trains, always end with a crew change, for which the train must, of course, be stopped).

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hi Markus,

I could very well be doing something wrong - LOL - that caveate is always implied...
:)

Let me try again - I was testing the other day and the event would not trip - I tried it in several locations - I then removed "train must be stopped" check mark and the event triggered fine...

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

What you definitely need is a event trigger radius set large enough. I usually take 99m, which gives me nearly 200m to stop in, enough to "hit the sweet spot".

If there are visual clues, such as platforms, I usually use those as a guide for the area in which to stop.

What you could do is find such a place with a visual clue, place the event there with the radius set so that the event will trigger whenever the train is within the area defined by said visual clues, and try.

I attempted the same just now, but for some reason, MSTS AE keeps crashing on me (and while on duty I don´t want to fiddle with a text editor to write up a test act).

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hi Markus,

Maybe it was nothing more than my radius being too small - I'll try making it bigger as I left it on the default 10 meters... It seemed big enough when viewed in AE but maybe it's not...

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi Markus,

Yep - you nailed it - Radius must have been too small - thanks so much...

One more question - have you messed with "Assemble Train" action events in ORTS ? I can seem to get them to work now... I created a simple test activity - one loco - two loose consists on separate sidings with (2) cars each - I created the action event to "Assemble Train" - I added all four freight cars included with the activity - then had an outcome to "Display" a simple success message... Then I started the activity and took the two cars from one siding and connected them to the two cars on the other siding - and - nothing ??? Shouldn't the simple coupling of all four cars together satisfy the requirement for a successful outcome ??? Any help appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

#7 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 22 March 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

...............snip......................................................
I attempted the same just now, but for some reason, MSTS AE keeps crashing on me ....................................snip................................
Cheers, Markus

Hi Markus,
Sorry for a bit :) but be sure to set your desktop screen resolution to 16 Bit.
This will prevent MSTS AE crashing, most crashing seen when viewing the AE map close up or when moving around quickly on the map.
Best,
vince

#8 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postscottb613, on 23 March 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hi Markus,

Yep - you nailed it - Radius must have been too small - thanks so much...

One more question - have you messed with "Assemble Train" action events in ORTS ? I can seem to get them to work now... I created a simple test activity - one loco - two loose consists on separate sidings with (2) cars each - I created the action event to "Assemble Train" - I added all four freight cars included with the activity - then had an outcome to "Display" a simple success message... Then I started the activity and took the two cars from one siding and connected them to the two cars on the other siding - and - nothing ??? Shouldn't the simple coupling of all four cars together satisfy the requirement for a successful outcome ??? Any help appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

"Assemble Train" event requires the cars to be in the order of the work list. "AssembleTrainAtLocation" event does not require cars to be in exact order, but they have to be on the exact siding.

Edward K.

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the input - I tried both last night with your information - neither seems to work for me... I'll create some quick tests on Marias and upload them to this thread for review...

As I am up to my neck in writing activities that utilize Carlo's new features - one other question came up as I was working - when you have an "Action Event" to drop off cars on a siding - the event is triggered the moment the first car touches the end of the assigned siding (not sure how MSTS handles this) - shouldn't the Event wait for all the cars to get on the assigned siding or even better yet all the cars to be fully stopped on the assigned siding ? One thing I didn't check but I will is - what happens if the Action Event is short a car - will it still trigger when the first assigned car touches the end of the siding ?

Anyway - I never really spent much time with the MSTS AE - so maybe I'm just behind on the learning curve... Carlo's new features have blown me away...
:byecry:

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi Scott, glad to see you problem(s) resolved. Sometimes, we just loose sight of all the tiny bits needed to be taken into account - I learned that the hard way with the exact example :good:

Hi Vince, yeah, I did that (even though Win7 normally does that automatically) but it kept crashing. Back home, I remembered that every time I take my computer with me on duty, I disconnect my external HDD (don´t take my backups with me :o ) and before doing so, I do a Trainstore Unstore Everything (since my storage folder is on the external HDD, I would otherwise leave all my stuff at home). And that overflow of stuff in my folders must have caused the problem, which went away after a proper re-store in Trainstore :)

Cheers, Markus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users