• You cannot reply to this topic

Max Speed set incorrectly Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS, MSTS

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hi guys,
Reading the forum here at ET, I've found that I'm not alone who has found some mystery about max speed displayed in Track Monitor. This issue is present in latest versions (I'm running X2930). I've done some tests and found that it has something to do with the signal speeds (defined in sigcfg.dat).
For easy readability during playing activities, I changed the signal speeds to unreasonable values like this:
SignalAspects ( 7
SignalAspect ( STOP "Red" SpeedMPH ( 0 ) )
SignalAspect ( STOP_AND_PROCEED "Red" SpeedMPH ( 19 ) )
SignalAspect ( RESTRICTING "Red" SpeedMPH ( 19 ) )
SignalAspect ( APPROACH_1 "Yellow" SpeedMPH ( 34 ) )
SignalAspect ( APPROACH_2 "Flashing Yellow" SpeedMPH ( 49 ) )
SignalAspect ( APPROACH_3 "Flashing Green" )
SignalAspect ( CLEAR_2 "Green" )
)
Now, let's play.
Picture 1 shows the situation where track speed given by last speed limit sign was 35mph, and last signal was APPROACH_2 (49 mph). Next track speed shown by the speed sign says 79mph. Track Monitor displays 49mph from that point - which is OK.
Next signal shows APPROACH_1 (34mph), Track Monitor displays 34mph too - OK.
Untill I come to the next but one signal, the block ahead clears, so that signal will change from STOP to CLEAR_2 (no speed limit); the track speed set by last speed sign remains at 79mph. Picture 2 shows what is displayed in Track Monitor. Whoa: 49mph!
This speed limit of 49mph (of APPROACH_2) will then be kept as maximum speed for many miles, regardless of the fact that the track blocks ahead are clear and signals show CLEAR_2. Moreover, if I get red on my way, wait for the opposite train to pass, then get green (CLEAR_2) to proceed - max speed in Track Monitor shows still 49mph.

I don't exactly know what's wrong. I only know that this never happened in versions prior to 2920 or so. No messages in Openrails.log concerning signals.
If I may be helpful with further testing, please let me know.

And ... one more issue I've come to (a little bit funny): If you are playing an activity and sitting in the cab staring at the red light in front of you waiting for green, you may have an idea to TAB for permission. What happens if your train is stopped over a wait point (which you - as a player - don't know, because you are not the author of the activity)? No answer from the Dispatch. But as soon as the signal clears, you can hear "Permission denied!" :-)

Best wishes and many thanks to the developers and community,
Mirek

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

I believe this is a problem that is there since long time, however could you pls. check if the problem is there in release 2922? You can download it here http://james-ross.co...jects/or/builds .

#3 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

Hi Carlo,
thanks for your reaction.
Using the history web link I've done some quick tests, and found that this dates back to X2910-X2911. With X2910 it seems to behave ok, with X2911 not. Maybe this helps?
Any hope this issue will be solved?

BTW - I've come to it when I experimentally deleted the "SignalFlags ( ASAP )" clause from the sigcfg.dat (which I learned here causes the signal speed limits are ignored); this showed up the speed in the TM.

Thanks,
Mirek

#4 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

View Postmirekkr, on 22 March 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

Using the history web link I've done some quick tests, and found that this dates back to X2910-X2911. With X2910 it seems to behave ok, with X2911 not. Maybe this helps?

Until X2910 you have the choice in the experimental options not to use:
Enhanced compatibility with MSTS activities.
Since X2911 OR doesn't have this option, it use this enhanced compatibility for every user.

I think you haven't use this option by the test with X2910, this can be the reason why you haven't had problems with this version.
EugenR

#5 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Of course you are right, Eugen. I forgot about this switch (didn't I say my tests were quick?).
Possibilities how to deal with this issue are:
- wait if this issue would be solved by the development team
- not to place speed limits in sigcfg.dat
- try to modify signals using the new ORTS speed signal types (I haven't tried yet).

Thanks,
Mirek

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Mirek,
you don't need to modify things by the moment. I'm working on the bug you mentioned. Eugen provided to me a test case.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

I should have corrected some bugs, but the possible cases are so many, that I kindly ask Mirek and Eugen (and any one person interested into it) to check the attached Runactivity.exe and RunactivityLAA.exe (simply replace them in OR release 2943), before I officially upload the patches.
Attached File  Runactivities.zip (1.28MB)
Number of downloads: 161

#8 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

Congratulations, Carlo!
Let's see what the others say, but - by my opinion - it's solved!
(and sorry for the one-day delay with my answer: I was off yesterday)
:good: :o :) !

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:54 PM

Uploaded in release 2949.

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

Would this have affected AI/traffic trains. In X2930 with an activity running on the SAL Fla Div, the player starts with a rolling meet with a traffic train, in X2951 the activity begins with the aforementioned traffic well past the player and no meet takes place. Can provide photos of Dispatch window and HUDs if it is necessary. Just trying to account for the difference. No changes made to activity. Everything the same except for version of OR.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users