• You cannot reply to this topic

"System" setting for Option "Other Units" Mixed display units Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hi All,
In the General Options" tab, there is a box labeled "Other Units". I had thought that this sets the units of length, mass, etc. that appear in the F5 HUD and its sub windows. The settings for "metric", "UK Units", and "US Units" seem to work OK.

I assumed that "System" meant that it would match the units that appear in the F4 Monitor, which I believe are controlled by a value in the route file.
It sort of does... but when running a US route (NEC V4), the F4 window is mph. & ft. but the HUD and its sub pages has a mix of units, including km/h, psi, m, kN, N and ltn.
When running a European route, the F4 window is km/h & m. but I get a different mixture of metric and US/UK units in the F5 HUD.
What is the intention of the "System" option?

Sid.

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

"Confusion", I guess, in the short term, as the developers pick their way through the minefield of adjustments required to get every possible permutation to work as it should.

Cheers Bazza.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostSid P., on 18 March 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hi All,
In the General Options" tab, there is a box labeled "Other Units". I had thought that this sets the units of length, mass, etc. that appear in the F5 HUD and its sub windows. The settings for "metric", "UK Units", and "US Units" seem to work OK.

I assumed that "System" meant that it would match the units that appear in the F4 Monitor, which I believe are controlled by a value in the route file.
It sort of does... but when running a US route (NEC V4), the F4 window is mph. & ft. but the HUD and its sub pages has a mix of units, including km/h, psi, m, kN, N and ltn.
When running a European route, the F4 window is km/h & m. but I get a different mixture of metric and US/UK units in the F5 HUD.
What is the intention of the "System" option?

Sid.

Sid I always thought when using the word "system" it always meant the default system settings (languge, units and so forth) of the system/machine the program was currently running on.

#4 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 18 March 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Sid I always thought when using the word "system" it always meant the default system settings (languge, units and so forth) of the system/machine the program was currently running on.

Hi Gerry,
Yes, at one point that is what I thought, too, but the strange mixture of SI and US/UK units doesn't make sense. Run though the Shift/F5 frames and see.
I must be missing something...
Sid.

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

"System" is the region specific setting you set in Windows Control Panel. I think Canada, by the official point of view of its government, uses metric units, so if you set your region in windows to Canada, it will ask for metric units wherever it can. The situation is the same for Australia and England. In contrast USA region will ask for imperial units.

Please note, you may set your pressure units independently, that's why you get mixed results.

#6 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi Peter,
Right, thanks for clearing it up.
I was starting to wonder if it might be showing the units used by the internal routines in ORTS, to help in debugging.
Now I'm puzzled how ORTS knows that I am operating in Canada!

EDIT: I just checked with a Canadian route, and with "System" selected, the HUD uses mph. in the Dispatcher, but km/h in the basic HUD; m for lengths, psi for pressure, Litres and Newtons! Canada is officially SI metric, and we use kPa for pressure.
With a U.S. Route (Surfliner 2), it is similarly mixed - km/h and mph both in the F5 HUD.
With a European country's route (e.g. LGV ), the units are all consistent. (metric),

So it is more complex that it appears...

Cheers,
Sid.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Yes,
what Sid sees, I see it too here in Europe.
In the past USA routes caused all measures to be displayed in imperial units, and Europe routes caused all measures to be displayed in imperial units. This option is no more here, and moreover it is no more possible to automatically have consistent distance and speed indications for a USA route: if I select System, I have the mixture mentioned by Sid, but even if I select metric, I still have the track monitor with imperial units. And manually changing for every route the option setting is not a nice solution.

Or am I losing some bit?

#8 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

Can you please show a screenshot about the mixed units?

But
1. Don't show (and complain about) the track monitor, because this setting has no effect on that. That solely depends on route, as it was since the beginning.
2. Please note that pressure unit can be set independently, so mixing of e.g. imperial pressure and metric speed doesn't count.
3. This setting doesn't affect the dispatcher sub-HUD. That one is to be used to debug route, so that also uses the route setting.

So except of the above 3 cases, can you show a mixed screenshot? :)

#9 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi Peter,
1. I had thought that the F5 HUD would look at the units of the F4 display, because that comes from the route file.

2. It was really the Dispatcher units that caught my eye, so that does not count, I guess.

I attach several clips, for the surfliner2 (USA), for the DAR (Canadian) and the LGV (Europe). These are based on the settings:
Language: "System"
Pressure Unit: "Automatic"
Other Units: "System"

I have not yet tried varying the pressure units - what is the rule for "Automatic" ?

Cheers,
Sid

Attached File(s)

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:54 AM

;) for interrupting, but what is the reason for being able to select the pressure unit independently from the rest? IMHO, binding the pressure to the general units setting would work as well, and cause less confusion, wouldn´t it?

Cheers, Markus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users