Elvas Tower: "Of shoes and ships, and sealling wax, and many other things.. - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Of shoes and ships, and sealling wax, and many other things.. A nautical flavour, WW2 Liberty ship for a project. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hi Barry, i liked your model as it was just fine, just wanted to share the history of it for you... yours looks great.

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

First Libety ship (cmd: Capt. Bazza)...
Attached Image: Clipboard0662.jpg

then a few more
Attached Image: Clipboard0663.jpg

and a couple more...
Attached Image: Clipboard0664.jpg

The Navy parked a whole lot of ships they thought they might use again in a number of "Reserve Fleet" berthings. One was in Suisun Bay, CA. I'll be adding quite a fe wmore but the poly count might become a problem preventing a full representation.

Still... not bad.. Not bad at all.
Attached Image: Clipboard0665.jpg

#13 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

Looks real good, Dave...are you going to drop a Glomar Explorer in there?

Even if it's not the right period, you could hide it amongst the other mothballs.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Glomar.jpg

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

No... tho I remember it well... it was quite close to the bridge and it was berthed there for a long time.

#15 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

Dave, it's time for some smoke n mirrors, make the gaps between the ships wider, say as much again, or slightly more. Looking at the ships, enmass, the wider gap will not be noticible, given the POVs they will be seen at. It's amazing how they're all rusting in exactly the same spot on each ship!

Does OR mind so many objects per tile, like fussy MSTS, although it's more likely the MSTS route editor will get cross. One trick, as discussed, is to make two or more ships, a single object. Apparently, MSTS didn't mind so many polys per object so much as how many single objects were on the tile. Ergo a group of three ships, as a single object, was treated as such by MSTS.

I had a look at the model, it's 3,280 polys, I managed to pare it back to 1,720. Render a little later.

Cheers Bazza.

#16 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

This is a render, for LOD 500m+

Attached Image: liberty2freighter2LO.jpg

Cheers Bazza.

#17 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

As a coast radio operator, way back then, I recollect having a radio sked/s with one of the Glomars, either Challenger, or Explorer. I also recollect the cover story, ie deep hole drilling, which of course was the cover story for a black ops operation to recover a sunken Soviet submarine. There is an interesting doco about the building of the Glomar Challenger (financed by Howard Huges) on youtube. It's worth watching. The scarey thing was the incredible amount of 'invisible' funding that went into the whole project, which was successful, BTW.

As far as a model, forget it, it's just too complex, check the doc and you'll see why.

Cheers Bazza

#18 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:03 AM

looks great, and if you vary the spacing just a bit, here and there it will make it much more realistic looking excellent work sure looks like what i recall.

nice water texture too looks just like muddy delta water

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 20 March 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Dave, it's time for some smoke n mirrors, make the gaps between the ships wider, say as much again, or slightly more. Looking at the ships, enmass, the wider gap will not be noticible, given the POVs they will be seen at. It's amazing how they're all rusting in exactly the same spot on each ship!

Does OR mind so many objects per tile, like fussy MSTS, although it's more likely the MSTS route editor will get cross. One trick, as discussed, is to make two or more ships, a single object. Apparently, MSTS didn't mind so many polys per object so much as how many single objects were on the tile. Ergo a group of three ships, as a single object, was treated as such by MSTS.

I had a look at the model, it's 3,280 polys, I managed to pare it back to 1,720. Render a little later.

Cheers Bazza.

I already placed them further apart (side to side) than they actually were... I think further apart toe to heel could be done -- but basically they were really packed in tight. To change anything I'd have to delete all but one and start over again. I'll have to think about it.

As for the LOD, you may have been a bit too aggressive for 500m. Small stuff sure, but the larger elements you also nabbed are visible further away; I'd say same tile viewing distance in this scene is between 500 and 1000m and for extended viewing I'm routinely running it out to 10,000m -- extended viewing distance requires a big rethink on how we assign LOD's.

OR doesn't seem to care about object count, easily dealing w/ > 2500 per tile. FPS take a hit of course but that's a different problem than simple object count.

If they get bundled up in multiples that would make the resulting model pretty route specific, don't you think? It could help I suppose. IIRC the Navy grouped the ships side to side in bundles of 10 so either a pair or set of 5 would work.

#20 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

Captain... I just had to say the Liberty Ship model looks fantastic! I recognized it right away, since I have been able to check out both of the operational Liberty Ships here that are still operational, and even enjoy a cruise on one. The cruise was on the John W. Brown, which was really a blast - especially hanging out in the engine room watching the big marine Triple running :)

The mention of vintage aircraft carriers reminded me of something I wanted to mention to you in case you weren't aware of them... There were a couple training aircraft carriers in Lake Michigan which were created from converted coal fired, paddle wheel passenger steamers. The two vessels were the "USS Wolverine" and "USS Sable", which were made from the steamers "Seeandbee" and the "Greater Buffalo". The existing carriers couldn't be spared for training purposes given the circumstances at the time, and it was also felt that training on the secure inland waters of the Great Lakes would be safer.

If anyone is curious, here a link to an article on them, and also a quick youtube video - enjoy :)

Paddlewheel Carriers Wolverine and Sable

Video: https://youtu.be/Up4URX99-oM

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users