• You cannot reply to this topic

Loco shaking badly Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cyrail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails and MSTS

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hi all

I had been eyeing Tim Muir's Northern Pacific 2-8-0 consolidation #483 for some time. I finally downloaded the file from the download section. It is an excellent model loaded with detail, yet to my dismay the engine shakes badly with the front pilot wheels coming off the rails when in motion. The tender and other cars behind the engine are fine and stable The model works good in MSTS with no shaking but not in Open Rails #2920.

My system is:

Windows 7 Pro ,64 bit
i7 4770 Ghz Processor
8 Gigabytes of RAM
GeForce GT 635

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Which Level do you have Vibration / sway set to? (I think, it´s changed with Ctrl+V). Try Setting it to Level 0 (no Vibration - pree the key combination until it tells you it´s 0) and try again, please.

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:00 AM

It is definitely the model at fault. I don't use cab sway, hate it in fact. When this engine is in motion and the view is with the engine the entire scene shakes or vibrates in cab or outside view but the engine itself does not seem to vibrate. If the view is moved to the tender the scene is steady but the engine is vibrating.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

I checked the info of the download, and found no mention of it, but could the loco be using "Bazza Motion" (the whole model is animated to simulate sway)? IIRC, Captain Bazza has added this to some of his locos.

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   cyrail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails and MSTS

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Its exactly as copperpen says. Yes I have turned off vibrate mode but with no effect. Its not a swaying motion by any degree. Think more frequency like a can of paint in a paint shaker at the hardware store. In camera #1 mode the whole environment outside the cab shakes. Same with camera mode #2 when the camera is focused on the engine . When camera focus is moved to the tender or any other car does the shaking move to the engine only.

#6 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

I've been having this issue with all of my SP steamers in the works as of late--the model will seem to hunt from side-to-side. I'm fairly certain the way the bogies and parented wheels are processed have some bearing on this.

#7 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

cyrail, on 14 March 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hi all

I had been eyeing Tim Muir's Northern Pacific 2-8-0 consolidation #483 for some time. I finally downloaded the file from the download section. It is an excellent model loaded with detail, yet to my dismay the engine shakes badly with the front pilot wheels coming off the rails when in motion. The tender and other cars behind the engine are fine and stable The model works good in MSTS with no shaking but not in Open Rails #2920.

My system is:

Windows 7 Pro ,64 bit
i7 4770 Ghz Processor
8 Gigabytes of RAM
GeForce GT 635

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

I was just running Tim's NP 2-8-0 #53 and the pilot wheels are stable. Make sure you are running the latest release. If one model is having issues and the other is not, then this is indicating that the modeling differences are not being handled properly. I will test this particular model.

Edward K.

#8 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

Just ran the #483 and yes it is shaking up a storm. I will look into this.

Edward K.

#9 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

I found the problem, but the fix is not a code fix. As I stated in my previous post, there are issues that may not be handled properly and in this case there was. In this particular model, Wheels11 is defined for the pilot wheel just like in Tim's #53 model. In #53 the spokes for the pilot wheel are defined as Spokes11, but in #483, the spokes are defined as Wheels12. OR can't work with this set up since each Wheels?? entry is for one axle in a bogie. The solution here is to uncompress the shape file and rename Wheels12 to Spokes11.

Tim, if you happen to read this. I would not know how many of your steam locomotives are using the Wheels12 naming convention for the pilot wheel spokes, but evidently OR can't work with this so if you can update your models to change this that would be great. Who knows, maybe this one was a mistake.

Edward K.

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Edward, never thought to look at the hierarchy.There are three entries for Wheels12 in the s file that will all need to be changed. Once done things are back to normal.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users