• You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Crash ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hi Folks,

Have an activity crash - that repeats every time - here's the log - not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong...

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (370.36K)
Number of downloads: 155

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Scott, I took a look at the OR log.
Two possibilities:
1. First thing I would do is fix all the sound errors. "Warning: File ../../Dash9/Sound/x_d9_airb_auto3.wav missing from E:\MSTSmini\Cumberland\Train Simulator\trains\trainset\BLW_RS3_LN_B\sound" Too Many
Probably you are missing the Dash9 sound folder referenced, or the pathway could be wrong. Check on all those errors in the log.

2. The other possibility is this: "System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)"

The phrases FileMode, FileShare, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES make me think it is the old WIN7 user permissions deal. Someone with more knowledge than I will have to address that.
Could be the Dash9 is present but cannot be accessed because of improperly adjusted permissions. Thank you nanny microsoft.
(I use tweakUAC to turn it off and stay behind a robust firewall, a anitvirus program, CCleaner, and two malware protection programs...no trouble yet, knock on my wooden head)

I opened the activity in my setup and it runs fine. I have the same route errors your log displays so that is not the problem. ( OR X2864 )

#3 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Scott,
first of all let's me suggest you to uncheck experimental option "Suppress shape error warnings", so as to avoid getting a bunch of annoying warning messages.
Getting to the problem, OR gets a conflict problem in trying to write the OpenRailsLog.txt file. This could be a problem of authorization, as Gerry wrote, or it could be something due to some backup software that regularly accesses such file. In this second case you should exclude the logfile from the backup action.

#4 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi Gerry,

This place is great - thanks so much for looking...
;)

Yeah - I went through the log as well and noted the missing sound errors - I've since fixed them - I'm pretty much using "Mini Routes" exclusively and I guess some of the rolling stock uses the default DASH9 files - I've since copied the files over and it minimizes all the sound errors... I still have the problem - but - I only ran it once - let me try a couple more times and see if it stops...

Could very well be permission errors but I'm a long way from C:\Program Files... This is Rich Garber's Cumberland Route and the activity worked fine by default - for whatever reason Rich chose not to include any traffic for his activities - so I added one train for AI traffic and that's when the trouble started... I'm pretty comfortable with AE - I do this quite often - so I'm fairly confident I did it correctly...

I see you have the route - I'll attach the activity if you want to look further... I'll post an update when I run it a few more times...

Attached File  CumberlandCrash.zip (8.97K)
Number of downloads: 156

I'll also roll all the consists back to default and see if that changes anything...

Regards,
Scott

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi...

I'm on a Win7 x64 machine but I think I have UAC off - let me check - I also noted that error about being unable to write to the log file - which I thought was pretty strange - because apparently - it did... Let me see if I can find any problems with permissions...

Thanks...
;)

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

UAC in itself will not prevent you from writing to a file that is outside of the protected zone. In fact it is not a very good idea to have it turned off at all. Although you may think yourself safe with a firewall and AV etc, there will always be something that skips in under the radar and UAC is there to catch those that try to alter files.

#7 User is online   R H Steele 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

View Postscottb613, on 21 February 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Hi...

I'm on a Win7 x64 machine but I think I have UAC off - let me check - I also noted that error about being unable to write to the log file - which I thought was pretty strange - because apparently - it did... Let me see if I can find any problems with permissions...

Thanks...
;)

Regards,
Scott

I downloaded the activity. Will try to run it today.
In the original activity that comes with the route "01_First run to Chad Part 1" the player path going into the Chad Yard stops just outside the yard. To make it run easier in OR you gotta extend the end point to the end of Chad Yard Track1, where Rich wants the empties delivered. That way, you don't have to stop and switch to manual in OR.
Of course, you have to start the activity in manual mode to make the reverse move into the Loyal yard to pick up the empties.

Regarding the UAC, permissions, and authorizations: I know some folks understand and use them quite easily ( I have read their posts ) : but they just flummox me, just when it seems I have everything figured out, something will not write.
I figure if I'm being vigilant, use up to date multiple protection programs, maintain a robust firewall, then on a home computer I'm relatively safe. I present a small target in a very rich LARGE (think any corp or gov) target environment. Oh Well.

Edit: 2-21-2015 14:06: With the Option>Experimental>Show shape warnings unchecked the OR log shows only one warning when loading Cumberland activitiy 01_First to Chad Part 1
Warning: Ignored unknown SignalType script TESTSEM_BNSF2LIGHT in F:\2TSF\OHIO\ROUTES\Cumberland\sigscr.dat:line 281

#8 User is online   R H Steele 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

I got the act unpacked and set up to run.
First three changes I noticed, nice opening reverse into the LOY yard, that's a nice change, no need to switch to manual in beginning.
The addition of passing paths.
The player path still stops short of the Chad Yard, and it comes in on a track adjacent to the path in the original act. Was that intentional to avoid conflict with traffic path?

Anyway, gotta stop for now, just started too. Will pick up again in a while. Looks interesting with the traffic additions!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2015-02-21 15-25-41-733.jpg
  • Attached Image: bandicam 2015-02-21 15-30-46-824.jpg

#9 User is online   R H Steele 

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 21 February 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

UAC in itself will not prevent you from writing to a file that is outside of the protected zone. In fact it is not a very good idea to have it turned off at all. Although you may think yourself safe with a firewall and AV etc, there will always be something that skips in under the radar and UAC is there to catch those that try to alter files.

:) copperpen, I am currently having an issue with Copywhiz. I use it to perform updates among the backup drives. I reinstalled it recently with UAC turned on (previously it was off) and the drag and drop function in Copywhiz stopped working. Also started having problems backing up folders that previously were backed up with Copywhiz. Now Copywhiz is designed to default install into the Program Files (86) folder, and run everything from there. When I turned UAC off all the functions returned to normal.
Of course, I'm in contact with Copywhiz support. and the problem may lie with my inexperience or inability to use UAC correctly, but it sure is mildly ;) in a :rotfl: sort of way.
How about a tutorial under PC about the "care and feeding of your friendly UAC"

Edit: wrong nom de digitale - sorry copperpen (was addressed to chris)

#10 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Mervyn...

Yeah - I had UAC on anyway... I agree - should probably leave it on - it was a real PITA when it first came out though...

Hi Gerry,

Yeah - no need to go through all the effort if you have better tings going one... I forgot - that's what started me on this process - I got tired of getting the TCS braking - it took me a while to figure out that I had to go into "Manual" mode to prevent that... Figured as long as I was editing activities - I might as well fix the player path as well - really surprised it wasn't done that way to begin with... The new ORTS Track Viewer makes working with paths so much better...

Not one of the original activities has a traffic file - which makes me wonder if all the signalling works as it's supposed to...

With double headed locomotives - it's so cool being able to switch cabs at will...

For me - the activity fails just after the AI train passes the passenger station and I'm making my connection to the train... It did it three times in a row before I reported it...

I'm going to try and switch back most of the stock to what came with the route - do you have the BLW L&N Pack ?

Regards,
Scott

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users