• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talking about the manual....... 2 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

Since my post in the thread "Talking about the Manual......." was ignored I will start a new thread.

In the Thread "3d Cab Sound line" http://www.elvastowe...cab-sound-line/
I posted:

cr-stagg, on 03 February 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

I asked this question in during another thread, but no one answered my question, so I decided to start it in a separate thread.

In the Open Rails Manual in section 15.2.1 item #9 it states (Highlights are mine):

9. Within the Wagon section of the .eng file a block like the following one has to be generated:
ORTS3DCab(
ORTS3DCabFile ( Cab.s )
ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( -0.9 2.4 5.2 )
RotationLimit ( 40 60 0 )
StartDirection ( 12 0 0 )
Sound ("DF11Gcab.sms" )
)

Why is a Sound line required within the ORTS3DCab section? How would the sounds be different in the 3Dcab than in the 2Dcab?

I tried an experiment with the Dekosoft GP30s which were released with 3Dcabs. I removed the sound line in the ORTS3DCab section, and I edited the Engine (External) Sound line to point to a fake, non-existing SMS file. Then I ran the sim. The sounds played in the 3D cab just as they sounded in the 2D cab. So I ask again "Why is a Sound line required within the ORTS3DCab section?"

Csantucci replied:

Csantucci, on 03 February 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Yes, you're right. I've checked the code, and the references to that sound file arrive to a dead end.

I just downloaded the Manual from http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/ which indicates a publishing date of 6 Feb 2015. Section 15.2.1 item #9 still shows that a Sound line is required for 3Dcabs. So I repeat what I said before:

cr-stagg, on 05 February 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

In the Open Rails Manual in section 15.2.1 item #9 it states (Highlights are mine):

9. Within the Wagon section of the .eng file a block like the following one has to be generated:
ORTS3DCab(
ORTS3DCabFile ( Cab.s )
ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( -0.9 2.4 5.2 )
RotationLimit ( 40 60 0 )
StartDirection ( 12 0 0 )
Sound ("DF11Gcab.sms" )
)

The Sound line should be removed. There is no requirement for separate Sounds for the 3D cab. The interior and exterior Sound lines else where in the Engine file are sufficient.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:39 PM

Charles,
it's the third thread where you mention this. My last manual upload dates 20/1/2015 (see SVN repository log), that is before my above sentence dated 3/2/2015. I don't know where the date of 6/2/2015 comes out, but it's not the date of my upload.
I don't upload 20 MB of manual to change a single line, as a form of respect towards the persons that host the ORTS repository for free, and towards people downloading ORTS at low bitrates. When there is a reasonable amount of updates in the manual, I upload it. The moment should not be so far from now. In my local copy the line has already been deleted. Be patient.

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:15 AM

Csantucci, on 08 February 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

Charles,
it's the third thread where you mention this. My last manual upload dates 20/1/2015 (see SVN repository log), that is before my above sentence dated 3/2/2015. I don't know where the date of 6/2/2015 comes out, but it's not the date of my upload.
I don't upload 20 MB of manual to change a single line, as a form of respect towards the persons that host the ORTS repository for free, and towards people downloading ORTS at low bitrates. When there is a reasonable amount of updates in the manual, I upload it. The moment should not be so far from now. In my local copy the line has already been deleted. Be patient.

The Manual I am accessing is only a 6705KB download. Where is the rest of it?
This is where I get the date of the Manual. Maybe you should place the date on the document.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/charlesstagg/6feb.JPG

#4 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:30 AM

cr-stagg, on 09 February 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Maybe you should place the date on the document.

Carlo updates the manual in batches, not sentence-by-sentence. So you are indeed accessing the latest official version, but Carlo has a more recent one on his own computer, which he hasn't uploaded yet, thus is unavailable for you.

#5 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

gpz, on 09 February 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

Carlo updates the manual in batches, not sentence-by-sentence. So you are indeed accessing the latest official version, but Carlo has a more recent one on his own computer, which he hasn't uploaded yet, thus is unavailable for you.

Then Carlo needs to post on the web that the file is as of the last approved change rather than the date he is uploading it to the web page available to the public. You are misleading the public.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:11 AM

This is the last post from myself on this issue.
I have spoken of 20 MB because I upload in the SVN repository the .pdf version and the .doc version together, and this counts for about 20 MB.
It's not me that moves the .pdf version of the manual from the repository to the position linked in the ORTS webpage, nor it's me that put a date of the manual in the webpage.
Inserting a date in the document may be a good idea.

#7 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

cr-stagg, on 09 February 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Then Carlo needs to post on the web that the file is as of the last approved change rather than the date he is uploading it to the web page available to the public. You are misleading the public.

Charles, remember these people are developing this for free using there own time and server space and bandwidth also provided free. They DO have REASONS for doing what they do these REASONS MUST BE RESTPECTED.

Lindsay

#8 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

I realize that. But I am not asking for something that he is not already doing. He is posting an as of date. All I am asking is that he post an as of date of the latest change of the document NOT an as of date of when he is posting the document. That does not take more time or more bandwidth than he is already expending.

#9 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

cr-stagg, on 09 February 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

I realize that. But I am not asking for something that he is not already doing. He is posting an as of date. All I am asking is that he post an as of date of the latest change of the document NOT an as of date of when he is posting the document. That does not take more time or more bandwidth than he is already expending.

Charles, if you want to know exactly when a new version of a specific file was posted (e.g. the manual), install an svn client, and check for this information in svn. And then, before reposting a problem, you might check if the correction was already uploaded, and if not, there is no need to reopen the topic.

#10 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

gpz, on 09 February 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Charles, if you want to know exactly when a new version of a specific file was posted (e.g. the manual), install an svn client, and check for this information in svn. And then, before reposting a problem, you might check if the correction was already uploaded, and if not, there is no need to reopen the topic.

OK. I am on SVN at http://svn.uktrainsi...m/svn/openrails and the screen says: Access Forbiden

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users