• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer performance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   asteph627 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

I have a curious problem which I hope someone can help with. I am able to run activities in MSTS Train Simulator with no problems. However, when I run the same activities in Open Rails, the computer begins a loud humming or whining noise and doesn't stop until I get out of open rails. I have replaced the computer motherboard, hard drive, video card, and power supply with problem still persisting.

Computer info:

HP Pavilion HPE h9-1210t
Chipset: Intel Z75
Memory: 10GB
Processor: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40 Ghz
Liquid Cooling
AMD Radeon HD 7670 Graphics

Totally lost and don't know what to try next. I prefer using Open Rails over Train Sim but will have to abandon Open Rails if I cannot solve problem. Any help greatly appreciated.

AJ

#2 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

It's simple: Openrails is using the hardware(gpu, multiple cpu cores) not just a single cpu core as msts does. This was the first time when you used your computer for anything that needs more computing power than browsing? There are applications that can put even more load on hardware :sign_rockon:
However to prevent chasing infinite frame rate you should enable Vertical sync at openrails options/video tab.

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Maybe it's the heat monitoring fans coming on? It happens, there are multiple fans in the cases, on the mo'bo and some video cards can have up to three. It's when you hear NO fan noise at all, you should worry.

Cheers Bazza

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

I notice you have liquid cooling, the pump won't be completely silent.

#5 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

Also on higher loads there can be coil noise/whine too.

#6 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 07 February 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

I notice you have liquid cooling, the pump won't be completely silent.

One of my systems has a cpu liquid cooling system, both the pump and the radiator fans are almost completely silent. Important note: The case is a top of the line LIan li and is noted for its sound proofing and overall silent running.

The problem though could be caused by a noisey motherboard PWM controlled fan. It may be worthwhile to go into the bios an make sure all fans are on fixed RPM's.

Lindsay

#7 User is offline   asteph627 

• Fireman

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 07 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

One of my systems has a cpu liquid cooling system, both the pump and the radiator fans are almost completely silent. Important note: The case is a top of the line LIan li and is noted for its sound proofing and overall silent running.

The problem though could be caused by a noisey motherboard PWM controlled fan. It may be worthwhile to go into the bios an make sure all fans are on fixed RPM's.

Lindsay

I forgot to mention the computer has been checked by 2 so-called experts with over 20 years experience each. One insisted it was my sound card until he came out and checked the computer and then realized the computer does not have a sound card. He was the person who inserted new motherboard, power supply and hard drive.

AJ

#8 User is offline   asteph627 

• Fireman

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 07 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Lindsay

Not experienced enough to handle that, as I don't know how to do that.

AJ

#9 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

I'm going to second (third, etc.) the motion that it's fans. As noted, MSTS maxes one core. ORTS uses much more of the system. In my case, MSTS produces a 25% CPU load - one of 4 cores. But ORTS produces 60-70% CPU load and significant GPU usage too. That's with no other major applications running - just normal background stuff which is worth at most 5% of CPU (and usually much less). So if you have cooling fans (not just the CPU water cooling - GPU & PSU & maybe others too) that are temperature sensitive, they will certainly speed up when ORTS is running if the ambient temp is comfortable to warm for the human.

FWIW, I haven't had any serious cooling problems with my present system, but in the summer when ambient in the room is around 80F I do get some extra fan noise (my rig is older, so it's air-cooled not water) when the system is exercised. With my previous system (in an old-style closed case - current one is a "gamer" case with much better ventilation but noisier) I couldn't play MSTS or ORTS in the summer - it would overheat the CPU and shut down.

Which reminds me: need to set a tickler for the system's annual tear-down for cleaning some time in the next month or 2; lots of dust in my area. That's another thing to check - is everything cooling-related clean?

Cheers! :sign_rockon:

-M

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

Just don't use a vaccum cleaner, the air going through it gets charged with static electricity, because most of them have a lot of plastic. :sign_rockon:

CB.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users