• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

disappearing loose consist in DW W. Colton activity Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

I've done some more trial and error investigation, and the problem centers on the consist containing the empty flat cars. I checked for over-sized bounding boxes with negative results. When I moved the middle consist closer to the flats, that consist vanished in game as well. Once the flats were reversed, both of the missing consists reappeared. It's still a mystery, but at least we have a fix.

#12 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostBLW_1946, on 01 February 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

I checked for over-sized bounding boxes with negative results.

I'm not sure about this, but do bounding boxes have the same effect on OR as in MSTS. I don't believe you need all the bounding box corrections in OR. I may be way off base here.
Concerning the flipping - yep that does seem to do it. Why? - don't know here either.

#13 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

I did a lot of bounding box editing over the years, but I haven't found that to be necessary with recent releases. I've only been using OR extensively for a month or so, but I am definitely enjoying it, despite the learning curve. I've encountered another perplexing problem with this activity.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-01-31 03-55-29.jpg

At this point, I have exited the B Yard and returned control to dispatch. The reverse point still shows behind me in Track monitor. If I move forward without the CRTL+M, I can't get the signal ahead. If I get on ok from dispatch, I get an error upon re-entering the main. I've tried numerous variations, but this has been the only result I've been able to get since the first couple of run-throughs. It has to be something that I'm doing wrong. I'll keep trying...

(Looking at the activity in the MSTS Activity Editor, there are 4 reverse points: one on the Cargill siding, the second on the third main just outside the north entrance to the B yard, and two more that are very close together, on either side of the switch to track 653. If the problem lies within the activity, I suspect that it may involve those points, which may unnecessarily complicate the activity.)

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

You're heading the wrong way. That reversal point is not behind you, but still ahead of you - it has not yet been triggered. It might be that you 'missed' this reversal point as you were in Manual. The way to go is toward the reversal point, and ensure it is triggered. Then you can reverse and move out.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

You're heading the wrong way. That reversal point is not behind you, but still ahead of you - it has not yet been triggered. It might be that you 'missed' this reversal point as you were in Manual. The way to go is toward the reversal point, and ensure it is triggered. Then you can reverse and move out.

I realize that the second reversal point is the issue, but I'm not sure how to trigger it. I've tried several different avenues and variations, and I'm either off route or the running in the wrong direction. Fortunately, I don't give up easily.

#16 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

Tim, have you tried to using the Dispatch window.
Running OR in windowed mode Ctrl+9 to engage the dispatch window; then Alt+Tab to bring it onscreen.
This window will allow you to see the player path (in red) and determine where the path is going and best place to stop (as you would have to in real ops) and throw switches.
Tab through signals works in both auto and manual modes.

#17 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

With the dispatch window open, it seems that the problem area resides around the fourth reverse point. It seems to me that the third and fourth reverse points shouldn't be needed while operating in manual mode, as the power only reverses over a short section of track. On my last run through I was good until I dropped off the tankers. After I pulled forward, the path led through the intermodal yard and off into the desert, though the 4th reverse point showed when I stopped to uncouple the power. I have an idea that changing cabs might be a part of the problem. Thanks again for the help.

#18 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Still no luck. Path in Dispatch window shows route to Old Colton Yard, but still the reverse loop shows to the rear. I'm done for now.

#19 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

I made it through the activity. (screenshot shows 25 boxcars pulling into Old Colton for drop - path on auto leads to correct track)

I think the reverse point to make the tanker drop should be moved further away. I made it through there using a combo of manual and auto, stopping & switching back to auto at just the right moment to trigger the reverse point.. You gotta go slow, it's probably more a matter of luck than anything else. The path at that point is just not drawn far enough.

Trouble is that particular reverse point can only be moved a short distance before it encounters a switch and of course will go no further. You'd have to redraw the whole path to put that reverse point in the proper place.
I'm going to move it as far as I can without redrawing the path and rerun the activity.

I remember reading somewhere here at Elvas (? - maybe someother forum) of a way to remove reverse points without redrawing the whole path. I cannot find it.
I thought it was one of the OR team members. Maybe that's wishful thinking, and it was some other path point.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2015-02-02 17-53-16-261.jpg

#20 User is offline   BLW_1946 

• Fireman

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

I tried marking both path points in the yard as broken, then deleting them, but I noticed that several other paths in the folder had been edited as well, so I restored them all from backups. Maybe I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks again.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users