• You cannot reply to this topic

ZT GG1 Pack not loading right Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

View Postrfranzosa, on 21 July 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Well, stay away from both, would be my advice!

Here's the deal, Jeremy. The way that Dick Cowen created the shapes in TSM, combined with how Open Rails handles alpha channels, I will need to modify the body, clone it 39 times, then update 40 texture files with new alpha channels...

Might take a bit!

Rick

Honestly the way Corn Syrup is I think that'd be wise advice, haha.

And no problem, Rick! I'm just pointing it out so it's known is all.

#12 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostKazareh, on 21 July 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Honestly the way Corn Syrup is I think that'd be wise advice, haha.

And no problem, Rick! I'm just pointing it out so it's known is all.

Yep, took a look over lunch, and I have a huge trial-and-error job ahead of me on the front and rear windows. The windows are separate parts, and in order to make this all work, I have to put an alpha channel 'hole' in the main shape behind the window, and the main shape texture has no window detail to use as a guide for creating the 'hole'....

Plus, I have to make corresponding changes to the other ace file for each loco.... 80 total.

Fun!

Rick

#13 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

View Postrfranzosa, on 21 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Yep, took a look over lunch, and I have a huge trial-and-error job ahead of me on the front and rear windows. The windows are separate parts, and in order to make this all work, I have to put an alpha channel 'hole' in the main shape behind the window, and the main shape texture has no window detail to use as a guide for creating the 'hole'....

Plus, I have to make corresponding changes to the other ace file for each loco.... 80 total.

Fun!

Rick

There is a new version in the queue at trainsim.com. I actually wound up doing the fix twice. I fixed the base loco using 1024x1024 textures. When I cloned the new alpha channel into the other 39 locos, the changes didn't appear. After a bunch of failed attempts, I finally realized that the rest of the ace files were 2048x2048, so I had been applying a 1024x1024 alpha channel to a 2048x2048 base....

This took way to much time out of my life!!

... but the GG1s look real good on OR :I-Agree:

#14 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

View Postrfranzosa, on 29 July 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

There is a new version in the queue at trainsim.com. I actually wound up doing the fix twice. I fixed the base loco using 1024x1024 textures. When I cloned the new alpha channel into the other 39 locos, the changes didn't appear. After a bunch of failed attempts, I finally realized that the rest of the ace files were 2048x2048, so I had been applying a 1024x1024 alpha channel to a 2048x2048 base....

This took way to much time out of my life!!

... but the GG1s look real good on OR B)

To quote Mr Adam Savage: Well there's your problem!

:I-Agree: But eitherwho, I am looking -very- much forward to seeing these beauties in OR in full glory!!!! And from the bottom of my heart, Frank. Thank you!

#15 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

.... Or Rick :I-Agree:

#16 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Rick, thank you very much, for your time and creative effort. Much Appreciated. ;) :D

#17 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 30 July 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Rick, thank you very much, for your time and creative effort. Much Appreciated. ;) :D

Thanks, Gerry. Anyone who quotes the late great Julius Henry Marx is OK by me...

... and should I ever get the urge to improve the state of the model, here is a direct quote from Mr. Cowen re: the GG1 source models:

"I have found them. I am not sure they will be any good but you can use and develop them with my blessing."

Of course, seein' as how it took SEVEN MONTHS to accomplish this little fix.....

Let's not hold our breath :sign_oops:

#18 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

View Postrfranzosa, on 30 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Thanks, Gerry. Anyone who quotes the late great Julius Henry Marx is OK by me...

... and should I ever get the urge to improve the state of the model, here is a direct quote from Mr. Cowen re: the GG1 source models:

"I have found them. I am not sure they will be any good but you can use and develop them with my blessing."

Of course, seein' as how it took SEVEN MONTHS to accomplish this little fix.....

Let's not hold our breath :D

Hah, no kidding. Personally I like the models just as they are now -Rick-, my bad on the name too. Someone didn't have their coffee...

The one thing I'd like to see honestly at some point(Not necessarily from you, though, anyone really) is the tubular Keystone cars, and/or the Metroliner. Someone -was- working on a ML from what I recall ages ago, but it seems to have gone vaporware.

#19 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

Rick i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i finally got the time to redo the set and replace the original versions and i found a texture or shape prob that was not in the original set but since the fix has appeared in the revised set

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/burgerbern/PRR_GG1_Probs.jpg

i have ringed the problem in the top pics taken in ORTS this is the rear of the engine, as you can see by the headlight this is the fixed version and there is a strip of the shape that appears to be going over the textured part of the stripe on both sides, the lower pair of pics as evidenced by the headlight not being fixed are the originals where this abnomoly was not present, i repeated the test in MSTS with BIN and the results were the same, looking at the engines in Shape Viewer also shows the same prob and does so for all the engines in the set being most noticable when there is a stripe or strips or a colour difference in that area AMTK 906 being that sort of example.

I am assuming that prior to this that part somehow was merged into oblivion at that point on the shape or its something that occurred when the shape was compiled

#20 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:11 AM

View Postburgerbern, on 11 August 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

Rick i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i finally got the time to redo the set and replace the original versions and i found a texture or shape prob that was not in the original set but since the fix has appeared in the revised set

i have ringed the problem in the top pics taken in ORTS this is the rear of the engine, as you can see by the headlight this is the fixed version and there is a strip of the shape that appears to be going over the textured part of the stripe on both sides, the lower pair of pics as evidenced by the headlight not being fixed are the originals where this abnomoly was not present, i repeated the test in MSTS with BIN and the results were the same, looking at the engines in Shape Viewer also shows the same prob and does so for all the engines in the set being most noticable when there is a stripe or strips or a colour difference in that area AMTK 906 being that sort of example.

I am assuming that prior to this that part somehow was merged into oblivion at that point on the shape or its something that occurred when the shape was compiled

That's a real head scratcher. All I did to the shape was change the material type for the window parts and the headlight parts. The only thing I can think of is that maybe this was not Cowen's final TSM file. He told me he had some difficulty finding the project files. Maybe there was some 'tweak' that took place after this version.

Rick

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users