Elvas Tower: Autopilot mode - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Autopilot mode Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Dogbert,
that's what I suspected, and that I too noticed. I will try to solve it by a slightly different release of file sigscr.dat. It's true that it is not an autopilot problem, but a pre-existent one.

#42 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

To me, the sig problem sounds like a wrongly set number for SigNumClearAhead. It´s known that MSTS generalized that value for all signals, replacing the one set in the sigcfg for a specific signal with the overall highest one found.

ORTS doesn´t suffer from this, but that means, it takes the actual numbers into account, that are not what MSTS used internally, thus are likely wrong.

Cheers, Markus

#43 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

Carlo- The new version works fine with Release 2673 - nice to have the 4-key view fixed for viewing Traffic trains.

I think it would be useful if there was a delay when the activity first starts. before autopilot mode is active, to allow the user to get control of the loco to do some local pickups before starting the run. The autopilot has already accelerated quickly toward the first red signal before I can turn it off, reduce the throttle, and brake the loco. Maybe I'm just too slow in my old age, but I would like a few seconds to get organized. It is difficult when the red signal is only a short distance away because the autopilot is quite aggressive in accelerating before I get complete control.

I am not having the luck with pickups using autopilot that dogbert and others are having. If I switch the loco to reverse, leave the throttle at 0%, switch to Auto, then Autopilot, the loco accelerates rapidly past the speed limit and runs into the consist. It then switches to forward, and starts moving slowly as if the brakes on the cars are on. If I switch out of autopilot I go back into reverse with high throttle. I am running an activity in Monon-16 in the Youngtown Yard. The consist I am picking up is on the path.What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Sid

#44 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

First of all, now there is a new release downloadable in the link of the first post, where Save and Resume now in general work (probably something must be refined referring to Waiting points with red signal). Gear-based engines now also work.

Sid,
maybe I could start the game in player controlled state instead of in autopilot mode, leaving it to the player to press ALT-A to pass in autopilot mode. Let's see what other people say on this.
Referring to your problem I am not sure of having fully understood your case. The change of direction switching out of autopilot should not happen; one of the possibilities is that you don't have the last version of the autopilot kit. As I just uploaded a new one, pls. go to the first post, download, and test again. At least the unwanted change of direction shouldn't be there. Anyhow a rule is that, at the moment you pass from player driven to autopilot, the reverser must be in the correct position for the autopilot mode.

Referring to the signalling problem, unfortunately increasing SigNumClearAhead doesn't change nothing. It's quite likely something related to the script file.

If no big problems come out in the next hours, I am now thinking to insert the package into the mainstream OR, if there are no objections on that.

#45 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hi Carlo,
I updated to the new version. Still having some strange problems. Maybe I'm jinxed.
I still get the strange reversal when coupling in Autopilot.
Manual coupling works OK, but I encountered another strange problem doing some poking:

Here is a scenario that starts out fine:
1. Start freight switching activity in Monon 16. (Runs fine in normal ORTS.)
2. Switch off Autopilot; stop loco.
3. Switch to Manual mode.
4. Switch direction to reverse, back up and couple to a consist on the same path.
5. Disconnect from unwanted cars at the end of the consist.
6. Connect brake hose ( \ ), wait for brake pressures to set up.
7. Switch to Auto Signal.
8. Switch direction to Forward.
9. Switch to Autopilot.
The train accelerates to stop correctly just before a red signal.
All looks normal. Now - I would normally just wait for the traffic to pass.
But I was experimenting and switched Autopilot Off and then back On. Immediately, I lost all of the brake pressure readings on the connected cars, as if I had not connected the hoses. I was not able to get them back to normal again.
One more experiment before quitting -and starting again: I switched out of Auto Signal and into Manual. Result:
"Error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ORTS.Train.GetTrainInfoManual(TrainInfo& thisInfo)" etc.
Log file attached.

Cheers,
Sid.

Attached File(s)

#46 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

I think as well the autopilot should be determined by the player too at first in game instead of annoyingly starting an accelerating full throttle away at the start breaking in two an was pretty much my point from early an a idea to control it. As for signals the auto pilot recently behaved an obeyed signals but one problem to point out is the cab signals even at red light remain clear green in auto pilot mode checked.

#47 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 30 November 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

maybe I could start the game in player controlled state instead of in autopilot mode, leaving it to the player to press ALT-A to pass in autopilot mode.

Hello,

Yes, I think that would be more intuitive for the end user. Thanks for all your work so far.

Cheers,
John.

#48 User is offline   rrroberttt 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

Do you intend to eventually have this available in explore mode ?

Robert

#49 User is offline   mauried 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

I dont think it can be done in explore mode.
How does the Autopilot know where to go?

#50 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 29 November 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Thanks Dogbert,
that's what I suspected, and that I too noticed. I will try to solve it by a slightly different release of file sigscr.dat. It's true that it is not an autopilot problem, but a pre-existent one.

Yes Carlo the semaphore signal operation problem has been around for a long time.

Definitely not something connected solely with Autopilot operation.

I haven't driven a train since your first release, i go everywhere on Autopilot now. :)

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users