• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X2631: Update fails Large Textures not displayed Rate Topic: -----

#11 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:50 AM

Hi Allen,

the lettering on the coaches differs between the time period - if I would use single polygons for each lettering ( approx 20 per coach side ) the building effort will be increase to amounts that will be exceed my time ( regarding to remap the complete coaches on every different version ) - so the disadvantage of a larger file size is well calculated by me. On MSTS there are no problems known - even on highly detailed routes as Emslandstrecke from German Railroads ( run with a -mem:2048 parameter ) - the real RAM usage seen on the task manager from Windows keeps mostly lees than 1 GB. Every texture is only loaded once per game - so the rise of RAM usage will keep under 50 MB ( 10 different coaches with a 5 MB Texture load each for example ) - so in my opinion acceptable in times we use systems with normally 4 GB RAM or more. Probably I will measure the real RAM usage of a single coach.

Now I will move OR to my computer in the living room - with is fitted with 4 GB RAM - and think all will run properly ( as some of my German mates already reported )....

Is there an additional option beside the "Large address aware" to reserve RAM to OR ?

Is there anything known about the progress of a working signal system - on German routes the signals are still out of funktion ( may a new topic about this will be useful ? ) - if i can help with informations please ask.

Kind regard from Germany - Thommy

#12 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

B & O GUY, on 13 November 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

You should read this article here in the Elvas Tower forum about getting crisp, sharp and clear lettering. Using 4096 square textures would be a bit of overkill and should be used sparingly.

For just letters it's overkill, but if used efficiently, it can save some draw calls, like here with a nearly full locomotive texture (bogies have a seperate 2048*2048 texture): Attached Image: 1216obbA.jpg.

However here, the problem i think is the uncompressed 4096 texture. If it would be DXT compressed, OR would load it correctly. OR can't use more than 1600 mbytes of ram currently as i see, also MSTS have just 1 km viewing distance, while OR has 2km by default, which means much more tiles and textures need to be loaded.

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

I think you wil find that there is a marked difference between OR and MSTS where use of the video memory is concerned. MSTS does all calculations on the CPU and main memory is used for storage. The video only has to display the result.

OR uses the CPU and the GPU for calculations, so the video is running calculations and displaying results on screen. I suppose that if we all used video cards with 4GB+ of vram then large textures would not be a problem As my computer does not have such a card I either downsize the textures or look for an alternative that does not use huge textures.

The situation is rather like the earlier days of MSTS where it was discovered that you could use 2048 sized textures, but a lot of players did not have video capable of displaying them. Downsizing or seeking alternatives with smaller textures was again, the only way to get things to display.

#14 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

...that's surely the optimal solution - my models devoloped from projekt to projekt - resulting many different texture files - using parts an textures from the parent - for future projekts of course I will used more merged texture slides....

Kind regards - Thommy

#15 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thommy Cortina, on 14 November 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

Is there anything known about the progress of a working signal system - on German routes the signals are still out of funktion ( may a new topic about this will be useful ? ) - if i can help with informations please ask.

Kind regard from Germany - Thommy

Hi Tommy,
Witch German Signal-System is not working?
Is that the problem with showing only some parts of the signalshapes in the Pro-Train Routes?
Or is there a Problem with the SignalSet of DennisK?

I can't find any bugreport in the Bugtracker:
https://bugs.launchp...has_no_package=
about not working Signals at all in German Routes???

#16 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Apologies for the apparently topic heading name changes. This appeared to have happened during the editing of an adjacent topic heading and even more puzzling is, why did it happen. I did a test and couldn't duplicated the problem, but I am (reasonably) sure it has happened before, for the same 'no reason'.

Bazza, moderator.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users