• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X2631: Update fails Large Textures not displayed Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

Hi There,

my name is Thommy Cortina and I build German vintage coaches in TSM - now I must sadly recognize that some textures - mostly on the outside of the coaches are not displayed.

- texture size is 4096 px
- size can reach up to 4500 kb
- part material is Alpha Norm +
- part is in a sorted subobjekt ( Polymaster )
- whole modell has approx 10.000 polys

Sometimes they are displayed sometimes not. Is there anything known about this problem - I hope OR will be able to work with large Textures as MSTS can - are there probably upper limits existing regarding file size per model ?

If there are coaches with small textures added between in the train - the textures are displayed well - so there is probably a limit regarding the file size per meter train length or something like that - which may refer to a too small limited buffer size ???

Kind regards from Germany - Thommy

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR_Texturproblem.jpg

#2 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

...it is the most recent Version - X 2644...

#3 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Please:
How do you manage 4K textures with TSM ?
Regards.

#4 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostThommy Cortina, on 13 November 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

Sometimes they are displayed sometimes not. Is there anything known about this problem - I hope OR will be able to work with large Textures as MSTS can - are there probably upper limits existing regarding file size per model ?

If there are coaches with small textures added between in the train - the textures are displayed well - so there is probably a limit regarding the file size per meter train length or something like that - which may refer to a too small limited buffer size ???

I am guessing you are running out of memory for displaying the textures. Do you have the option "Large address aware binaries" selected? Your PC needs to have >3GB of RAM installed to use this option.

RTP said:

How do you manage 4K textures with TSM ?

Use two textures, one sized 4096px for export and one size 1024px for texturing in TSM. When making the original and larger texture ensure all pixel selections are divisible by 4, 4 pixels@4096=1pixel@1024.

EDIT:Thinking about it, TSM allows you to open 1024px textures but behaves as if they are 512px textures, so if using an 4096px texture you should ensure pixel selections are divisible by 8px.

#5 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

Yes - it seems to be a performance issue ( in this case available RAM ) - it is my old office computer - a Dell Optiplex 320 with just 2 GB of RAM - the issue changes if I lower the sight distance or number of coaches...

Yes - for mapping in TSM I use 512 px *.bmp miniatures of my textures - the 4096 px size is intended to get readable and clear letterings - without time-killing and annoying patchwork mappings.

Kind regards - Thommy

P.S and O.T. - If interested you can find my works here

http://www.thetrain....pkp-epoche-iva/

http://www.thetrain....-neubau-teil-2/

http://www.thetrain....uppe-23-neubau/

#6 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

ist this texture dxt compressed? Else it would be huuuge in memory.

#7 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postdisc, on 13 November 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

ist this texture dxt compressed? Else it would be huuuge in memory.

Further to this, exporting to the .dds texture format and using other compression algorithms, can also reduce resource usage in OR depending on the original texture/alpha combination.

#8 Inactive_Thommy Cortina_*

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

Actual *.ace compressed they reach approximately up to 4000 kb - regarding the fact that they are only loaded once per game ( It took a long time to disprove the fairytale that MSTS crashes or runs unstable with textures larger than 512 px ) the models run on MSTS on nearly every computer. I once took 80 coaches static in front of Bremen Hbf - without any problems :-)

The OR log ( good solution by the way ! ) shows know clearly that it is an out of memory problem - now it is time to check if this will disappear on a newer system...

Kind regards - Thommy

Attached Image: OR_Memory.jpg

#9 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostThommy Cortina, on 13 November 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Actual *.ace compressed they reach approximately up to 4000 kb - regarding the fact that they are only loaded once per game

If the compression isn't DXT (it isn't as a 24bit 4096*4096 dxt texture would be 11 mbytes, 32 bit would be 22 mbytes), then itt will be decompressed to memory, as the GPU-s can use only DXT compressed textures, or uncompressed textures.

So that 4000 kb file can use 67 mbytes of RAM or VRAM if it's 32bit, 48 if just 24bit. But with dxt compression it won't be decompressed, so it would use 11 or 22 mbytes of ram.

This is one of the major problems of MSTS content, that the textures are not so good as the ones that are used in TS20xx for example, but still using much more memory.

#10 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yes - for mapping in TSM I use 512 px *.bmp miniatures of my textures - the 4096 px size is intended to get readable and clear letterings - without time-killing and annoying patchwork mappings.

Thommy Cortina

You should read this article here in the Elvas Tower forum about getting crisp, sharp and clear lettering. Using 4096 square textures would be a bit of overkill and should be used sparingly.

Read this thread ( http://www.elvastowe...__hl__tutorials )

Allen

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users