• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Initialize Air Brakes Function Times Out?? Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

BrakeSystemType("Air_piped") and ("Vacuum_piped") are implemented in r2733. The two types behave exactly the same (just transfer air, but not braking), and the type strings are exchangeable.

#142 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

View Postgpz, on 22 December 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

BrakeSystemType("Air_piped") and ("Vacuum_piped") are implemented in r2733. The two types behave exactly the same (just transfer air, but not braking), and the type strings are exchangeable.

Thanks for adding this.

#143 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi All,
For those (like myself) who hadn't noticed the "Angle Cock" on a train before, here's a picture:
Attached Image: 014696-RGB-wjj-©-Chip-running-air-through-hoses-after-recoupling-train-after-setting-out-two-loaded-pipe-gondolas-at-Patterson-Tubular-Morgan-City-Louisiana-USA-24-August-2012.jpg.jpeg

Cheers,
Sid

#144 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Looks like he's slowly tapping it open to gradually fill the car or string.

#145 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:19 AM

View Postgpz, on 22 December 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

It is certainly a scary thing to bring a big non-air train down a steep gradient. A good addition.

Is it possible to "highlight" which cars have the handbrakes applied in the "F9" Train operations window? Perhaps the numbers could change colour when the handrake is on. This will make it easier to apply and remove brakes, and keep track of the current state.

Thanks

#146 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:55 AM

Folks,

Thanks very much for adding these features. It makes shunting a lot more interesting. I have been trying this out on Marias Pass, activity "Building and sorting outbound cuts".

This has exposed a number of bugs:

• occasionally, when connecting air hoses (\) the ACs would not open.
  • Track Monitor shows cars coupled, with the ACs closed as a separate train with the distance to it changing as the train rolls along. Distance can go negative. Also, phantom cars at the other side of the loco were indicated. When approaching them they would disappear, to be replaced by a red horizontal bar, which in turn disappears when the train crosses it.
  • When a pushed car is uncoupled, the loco brakes, the car rolls into the target siding, I throw the switch and the loco passes over it the switch becomes permanently locked. Even saving and restarting keeps it locked.
  • One of the 3 lot of cars (all parked with the ACs closed) had one of the cars with the brake changed to Lap and BC @ 3.
Regards,

Peter.

#147 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

1. As I can recall, there is a difference how the connect brake hoses command works based on if the train is stopped or travelling.

I don't think 2 and 3 are because of my changes, but these bugs have to be fixed anyway. Currently I have no idea how the bug 4 could be triggered. A test case needed to be developed for the bugs so that they could be repeatable.

#148 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

Regarding No. 3, refer to my post about dropping cars into spurs. :bigboss:

#149 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Nope, what I experienced was different and didn't involve bumpers (there are none on most Whitefish sidings). The switch stays locked unless the rolling car(s) bump into and couple to another loose consist.

#150 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostATW, on 21 December 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Railguy just said all of what is right on the railroad rules out here an some wishing I been making to be implemented. Most definitely a way to open a angle cock slowly so air flow doesn't rush an make train emergency all the time is a true need along with a parameter for diesel rpm to speed up charging.

Just an idea for opening angle cock an calculating flow even though brake flow calculations reading in CFM needs implementing both for brake HUD an Cabs:

1. Just like in the percentage settings for retainers how about a car or locomotive option for angle cock percentage tab clicker for a selected car in f9 display.

2. A flow indicator hud an possible cab option for reading air flow based on train line flow for where for example the air rushes out over 60 or even 80 CFM the train truly goes into emergency because cock was open too fast to a say immediate high %100 instead of a gradual say %25 at a time opening keeping flow travel from reaching the emergency limit over 60-80CFM.

3. With 2. in affect we can also based on the number of units check are trains flow an leakage in total to last car coupled being HUD EOT BP based on each cars/locos between it to headend are their angle cock setting % for if a car has it's angle cock at just a little an no open for good flow to last car an is under 20CFM total we know something is wrong at final as we do a brake test.

4. For leakage calculations if a parameter for eng/wag file or just how they differ in it's brake settings may there be way to add a hole in pipe at a rate % increasing an angle cocks open position over %100 to say an additional to it being a critical %30 more. We know we have a big hole needing repair either by number of cars effected in total based on size of hole or gasket, percentage of open angle cock or just a car needs to be set out to comply with brake test rules. Or a simple way to put directly on purpose for leaking at little, medium or high for emergency % is making the last or first car/loco angle cock at a % kept open on ends.

Who understands an agree for this brake realism an rule testing skills?

As for 3. but mainly 4. I have found a present solution to making my train have minimal-severe leaks an calculations in ORTS depending on number of units, how many cars my train has or how they are built in a activity. My trick to having my train have a BP pound leakage calculations on purpose (hope for a future option slider % for random train problems) is to select a car or a number of them in train an bleed them.

Starting from a more head end to Bleed Air to AR 0 an ER 0: The number of cars or a loco makes the leakage kick in little (the less) or severe (the more) of the number you bleed where your lead loco BP in release mode is less than the rear EOT BP you know the leak problem is in the more headend of train an gets severe if your units are less or turned off. Your Main res doesn't charge up to its max volume or even keeps slowly dropping in release position or set up reaching under the BP an reaches the emergency limit like 64 BP or under into emergency it's a big problem that it must be fixed by limiting the number of bleeders. Can even make your train line air setup even while released if your Main res can't take it anymore which can happen if one of your units are shut down while moving or the additional more cars are bleeding for your Main res to not handle charging.

Starting from a more rear end to Bleed Air to AR 0 an ER 0: The number of cars makes the leakage kick in little (the less) or severe (the more) of the number you bleed where your lead loco BP in release is a fully charged BP matching EQ but rear EOT BP is slowly charging taking long even speeding an slowing game play time (not clock speed) over atleast 10min under your EQ, head BP released or set up for the long over 5 minutes is the leakage is more to the rear.

Some railroad rules state if you get a 5 Pound or more leakage in a required time limit: Train must be inspected, re tested, units turned on or added. I have been around a number of air tests in life to hear train built has had 0 pound, half a pound, 1 pound, 2 pound, 3 pound an pass the test leaving. Some railroads require you to apply the number of hand brakes to hold the cars on grade because air can't always be trusted to hold train while cut away from power because cars can be bleed off making a possible run away an heard early this year of a small plant switching company cut the hi paying jobs an hired low paid contractor crew that for revenge the cut hi paid employees came around territory to bleed the air off cars even releasing hand brakes drifted the train down to the derail. Crew that setout the cars were later tested, downloaded the event recorder an was not at fault because they did a set an release test to make sure cars would not role with just handbrakes an was secure.

More secrets to find an experiment.

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users