Elvas Tower: Train starting activity at speed > 0 - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train starting activity at speed > 0 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have a question about one part with " Location-linked passing path processing " Carlos finally got the AI trains starting activity at speed. Now what I would like to know if we still have to use " Location-linked passing path processing " with a check mark in the box or turn it off for this simulator. Because with the latest current version that I have the northbound player train starting activity at speed with 15 mph and suppose to meet the first southbound AI train between 15 or 17 minutes. But the first southbound AI train did not show when the northbound player train go by on double tracks. The first southbound AI train is supposed to stop at that location for train crew change. I was wondering if I uncheck the mark with Location-linked passing path processing " in the box and will that work with northbound player train meet the first southbound AI train or not necessary.

John

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

John,
I suppose that the player train starting at speed anticipates times and for some reason linked to that the AI train does not appear. You could try delaying the start time of the player tran by 1-2 minutes or anticipating the start time of the AI train by the same amount. I wouldn't touch the "location-linked passing path processing" checkbox if it worked OK before.

#13 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I agreed with you that I have to change the time for the AI trains and did leave the check mark in the box for location-linked passing path processing. Thank you for your time to reply to my message.

John

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

In my view, AI trains starting at speed should start with throttle and brake both at 0%.
By starting with a set throttle value there is a risk that, if the train starts on a falling grade, speed will increase too much before brakes are applied.
By starting with both throttle and brake at 0%, reaction is equal to what is required - acceleration or braking. There might be a slight drop in speed at first but this will recover quickly enough.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

OK,
I've taken Rob's suggestion and I've gone a little further. At startup the track grade (%) for the player loco is derived. If it is > 2%, throttlepercent is set to 40%. If it is < -1%, throttlepercent is set to 0%. In between throttlepercent stays to 25%. Release x2519.
I tested it in the Brusio loop of the Bernina freeware route (between 5% an 7% in the loop). Here are the two test activities (to be decompressed in Train Simulator Bernina)
Attached File  Train Simulator Bernina_updowntest.zip (4.82K)
Number of downloads: 330
Pls. don't ask for interpolations, as these values are anyhow quite arbitrary, however this is better than nothing :clapping: .

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Now all types of player train locos having air single-pipe or vacuum single-pipe brakes can start activity with speed > 0. I'm not sure if I will handle other types of brakes.

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

With release 2536 also AI trains can start activity at speed > 0. Moreover now vacuum brake parameters should work correctly also with AI trains.

#18 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 September 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

There is however a problem: especially with loaded computer, the cab is displayed only some some seconds after display of the world, which is not so nice to see. I would prefer if this problem could be solved by someone other (James? :good2: ) as it involves high-level process management, that I would prefer not to touch. Else, at least I need instructions on how to proceed.

Fixed in X2657.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users