Elvas Tower: Train starting activity at speed > 0 - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train starting activity at speed > 0 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

A first step has been implemented (x.2500). Player Diesel trains can now start activity at speed > 0.
The function can be tested with the standard Marias Pass "Running with Hotbox" activity.

Trains that begin activity with speed > 0 start with cab camera now. I would like to extend this to all player trains.

Further steps should follow.

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi Carlo,

View PostCsantucci, on 19 September 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

A first step has been implemented (x.2500). Player Diesel trains can now start activity at speed > 0.
The function can be tested with the standard Marias Pass "Running with Hotbox" activity.

Trains that begin activity with speed > 0 start with cab camera now. I would like to extend this to all player trains.

That's good news. Look forward to studying what you've done.

I've revised the blueprint to match by assigning you as developer and adding the work items.

I'm quite happy to start in the cab by default (to match MSTS). Does anyone else have an opinion (or a view on this :-) ?

#3 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Thank you and it's working on my computer with the starting activity at speed with the route of CNBALA2.

John

#4 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

Upon looking at your mod to VacuumSinglePipe.cs in V2500 I see you have inserted the line:

VacResPressurePSIA = V2P(64);
in new method InitializeMoving()

I'm not too sure of the effects of this because I can't apply V2500 yet. However 64inHg is not valid, maximum vacuum is about 30inHg. 64inHg will generate negative PSI as confirmed by the following Trace I inserted in VacuumSinglePipe.cs:

Trace.TraceInformation("64InHg: {0}psi", V2P(64));
As expected, this resulted in the following line in the OR log:

Information: 64InHg: -16.9301psi

I've been looking quite carefully at the way vacuum brakes are working in OR because there are a lot of complaints from the (admittedly small) number of people who are interested in running UK steam simulations. I've discovered that AI vacuum braked trains seem to be running with negative values in all brake pressures. Whether this is deliberate or not I've yet to work out but there seem to be a number of hacks around AI vacuum braking. The way AI is controlled means that this is probably not important but I'd like to see the AI going round with valid pressures, if possible.

Dennis

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Hi dennis, thank you for checking the physics of what i've done. I confess I'm not an expert on that. I haven't yet examined the case of vacuum brake trains starting at speed greater than 0. In my mind I have disabled it, but I can't check the code now. If you can suggest me the initial vacuum brake values for a train starting At speed greater than 0, that would be a welcome help.

BTW also a suggestion for a test consist is welcome.

#6 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 September 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I'm quite happy to start in the cab by default (to match MSTS). Does anyone else have an opinion (or a view on this :-) ?

I'd probably prefer always starting in-cab and I've even been wondering about starting paused (which MSTS did) particular for rolling-start activities.

#7 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 September 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

If you can suggest me the initial vacuum brake values for a train starting At speed greater than 0..

I would think 21inHg would be a good value because that would be brakes full off for most vacuum braked stock. There are some models around that use the old Great Western standard of 25inHg max pressure. I don't know if it would cause OR to crash setting the 21inHg max models to 25inHg but at least 21inHg on a 25inHg system would mean the brakes are only partly on and could be quickly fully released by the player.

Dennis

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 September 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

I'd probably prefer always starting in-cab and I've even been wondering about starting paused (which MSTS did) particular for rolling-start activities.

Got my vote :(

Also, what about displaying what the MSTS AE calls "briefing" when paused upon start? Currently, one has to manually bring up the info / help / whatever it´s called window to read it.

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

In release 2506, apart of having introduced some generalization in the air single-pipe initialization at speed > 0, I have also introduced cab camera (if available) as used camera at start of game.
There is however a problem: especially with loaded computer, the cab is displayed only some some seconds after display of the world, which is not so nice to see. I would prefer if this problem could be solved by someone other (James? :sign_sorry: ) as it involves high-level process management, that I would prefer not to touch. Else, at least I need instructions on how to proceed.

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 September 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

There is however a problem: especially with loaded computer, the cab is displayed only some some seconds after display of the world, which is not so nice to see. I would prefer if this problem could be solved by someone other (James? :sign_sorry: ) as it involves high-level process management, that I would prefer not to touch. Else, at least I need instructions on how to proceed.

Okay, I've added it to my list. I guess it needs the cab view loading to called from TrainDrawer or similar.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users