• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NVIDIA Conrol Panel Settings. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I have read other posts concerning graphics issues, but my question appears to be different. In my case, I am using EVGA's overclocked 760 and my overall performance/frame rate is quite good. I am not sure what is happening, but its possible the settings for antialiasing and anisotropic may not be working or if they are, not working as it should. Between the standard control panel and nvidia inspector, I should be bringing my frame rate down with the settings I am using, but nothing appears to be really changing. This is the same for both full screen and windowed mode. One area that is not changing very much is anitaliasing. Tracks further out from the train shows this.

One example is of course MSTS. I had serious moire issues until I used nvida inspector to clean it up. The only problem is that I may have used too much filtering and it shows in the frame rate and the overall looks of the graphics. Under OR, very little appears to be changing when experimenting with the different settings.

Is there any possibility that a setting in the fx files is somehow overriding the use of the control panel settings?

One issue that I am experiencing under windowed mode is some form of rippling effect in front of the train. This issue is noticeable both from the cab and when in external view. I could provide a screenshot if needed, but the issue does not stand out very well.

Edward K.

#2 User is offline   delay 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:Open Rails with MSTS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hello, I hope you'll understand I can not describe in English :-D

http://jpeg.cz/images/2014/09/11/YJLtv.jpg

#3 User is offline   delay 

• Fireman

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

oh sorry I don´t read complet post :)

#4 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

The post you provided actually helped me prove my point because most of time I am not running runactivitylaa.exe so I did not have a profile set up for this. When running this and runactivity.exe which has a profile, I did not notice a difference and this is considering the fact that I am using max settings.

Edward K.

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

edwardk, on 11 September 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Is there any possibility that a setting in the fx files is somehow overriding the use of the control panel settings?

No, NVIDIA's settings always override the app (unless you've specifically selected otherwise in the NVIDIA options). If it seems to not be working, it is either a problem with the profile not being for the correct executable or something has screwed up at NVIDIA's end.

The NVIDIA Control Panel settings have always worked fine for me, though I will say that I normally only make 1 adjustment from the defaults these days: Texture Quality: Best Quality. This is because the default level actually does not do anisotropic filtering correctly so the track textures look bad - but changing this one option fixed that.

#6 User is offline   delay 

• Fireman

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

need to distinguish whether you open rail ticked Use large adress ...
Open rail graphical properties at 32 - bit set using a shortcut RunActivity

When using Windows 64 bit RunActivityLAA

When Nvidia inspector pays the same as the top of the figure.
Doing representative through Open Rail.exe !!!! Does not work.

#7 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

It turns out I had a corrupted profile. On my system, clearing up jagged textures using the settings under control panel alone just was not working. I tested with nvidia inspector which gave the results I was looking for, but the settings needed to clean it up a bit did drag the frame rate down. I found out that by using this line MipMapLodBias = 0; in the SceneryShader.fx, I was able to clean up most of the issues with minimum loss in frame rate.

sampler Image = sampler_state
{
Texture = (ImageTexture);
MagFilter = Linear;
MinFilter = Anisotropic;
MipFilter = Linear;
MaxAnisotropy = 16;
MipMapLodBias = 0;
};

I still have that odd issue though that I believe may be connected with the camera view when in window mode. I have tried various screen shots to try to show this issue, but you can hardly see it.

Edit: Actually the issue I am experiencing is not even in the screen shot. At first I thought the visual anomaly was just hard to see, but it turns out its not present in the screen shot, but it is clearly visible when looking at the track from the inside cab and outside the cab. Is there a possibility that this issue can be caused by an odd camera view problem?

Edward K.

#8 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have set options in NVIDIA Control Panel for openrails.exe as this is the program I call to start Openrails. Is this correct?

----------------
David

#9 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

From 12 September 2014 - 01:13 PM:

Edit: Actually the issue I am experiencing is not even in the screen shot. At first I thought the visual anomaly was just hard to see, but it turns out its not present in the screen shot, but it is clearly visible when looking at the track from the inside cab and outside the cab. Is there a possibility that this issue can be caused by an odd camera view problem?

Maybe the cows have left the barn on this one, but what I can state is that, before you commit any changes in Nvidia Inspector or AMD Catalyst, the Open Rails menu.exe HAS to be stopped. If menu.exe is loaded, changes to Directx are locked out, at least that is my experience. Ditto for changes you make in the registry for Open Rails.

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

dforrest, on 14 September 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

I have set options in NVIDIA Control Panel for openrails.exe as this is the program I call to start Openrails. Is this correct?

No, you must select RunActivity.exe or RunActivityLAA.exe. If you're using a recent version of the NVIDIA Control Panel, you should see this at the top of the list when adding a profile if you've recently played OR.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users