• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cab switching Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

I believe that the arrow is wrong. In MSTS if you enter a rear facing cab the controls work normally, and the F4 and F8 windows correspond to the now forward facing view. Reverser forward, arrow points forward irrespective of which cab you are in because you will normally be moving forwards from your point of view, not the game point of view.

#12 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 24 September 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

I believe that the arrow is wrong. In MSTS if you enter a rear facing cab the controls work normally, and the F4 and F8 windows correspond to the now forward facing view. Reverser forward, arrow points forward irrespective of which cab you are in because you will normally be moving forwards from your point of view, not the game point of view.

In this particular case the arrow is correct. The process occurred like so.

1. Pressed 'w' key to put reverser in forward position.
2. Control confirmation confirmed this.
3. f5 HUD confirmed this as well.
4. f4 HUD disagreed.
5. Applying throttle caused the loco to reverse.

I originally observed this problem with two payware EMUs, it should be note that driving the EMUs in timetable mode they behave normally and that they both share the same common cabview.

Edit: Spelling.

#13 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostJohnnyS, on 24 September 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I originally observed this problem with two payware EMUs, it should be note that driving the EMUs in timetable mode they behave normally and that they both share the same common cabview.

Activities and timetable mode do things differently so let's discard them for the moment.

I am trying to establish whether there is a reverser bug here or not: does the cab view move forwards when you drive with the reverser set to forwards? All that matters is the direction of movement relative to the cab view. Everything else I can see in the screenshot is behaving as designed and is consistent with itself - any suggested changes to e.g. Track Monitor are a separate conversation to whether there is an actual bug.

#14 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 24 September 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

does the cab view move forwards when you drive with the reverser set to forwards?

Hi,

No, it moves backwards, see points 1 and 5 in my previous post.

So far I have only seen three cases of this behaviour. The classes 302 and 309 EMUs from the Great Eastern route and the freeware loco I linked to.

Cheers,
John.

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostJohnnyS, on 24 September 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

No, it moves backwards, see points 1 and 5 in my previous post.

So far I have only seen three cases of this behaviour. The classes 302 and 309 EMUs from the Great Eastern route and the freeware loco I linked to.

Okay, thanks. It wasn't clear whether you meant the train moves backwards (expected for a rear-facing cab) or the cab view appears to move backwards and this is a critical distinction. :clapping:

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:07 AM

I wasn't able to completely install the cabview, however I could check the .cvf file. Its forward cab has a direction angle of 354.5 degrees, and the OR code was able to test for front or rear only from -270 to 270 degrees, as in such a case I would have expected in the file a value of -5.5 degrees.
I have committed the more extensive check in release 2522. Now it works from -450 degrees to 450 degrees. Hoping that there aren't cabviews with direction angles set outside this range... :D

#17 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 25 September 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

I wasn't able to completely install the cabview, however I could check the .cvf file. Its forward cab has a direction angle of 354.5 degrees, and the OR code was able to test for front or rear only from -270 to 270 degrees, as in such a case I would have expected in the file a value of -5.5 degrees.
I have committed the more extensive check in release 2522. Now it works from -450 degrees to 450 degrees. Hoping that there aren't cabviews with direction angles set outside this range... :D

Hi Carlo,

Good work, thanks very much.

Cheers,
John.

#18 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 25 September 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

I think MathHelper has a utility for normalising angles (though it'll probably require you to convert to radians), which might make this easier to check for.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users