• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Texture Question Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

View Postjared2982, on 03 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I know this has been discussed before but I was not able to locate the thread. Was this issue ever fixed that causes these white lines to appear on the models?

The polys are mapped too close to a contrasting color. The models may be fine close up or when looking perpendicular to the face, but otherwise show artifacts when viewed on edge.

#12 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

View Postjared2982, on 05 September 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

I understand that there will be differences between MSTS and OR. Im just trying to figure out what the issue is and if there is in fact an issue or not before i have to go back and fix textures on 50+ models. That is quite a bit of work.

Can you post a screen grab in ShapeViewer? I have found (at times, qualifier!) that ShapeViewer more closely mimics what you will see in OR as opposed to MSTS. It is either a texture problem (be careful of those blank/white lines that are right at the edge of a texture, so for a 512x512 texture I mean the very first/last raster line) or your polygons are not welded to each other in the model (I have seen that too in some models!).

Don't give up!

#13 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostHack, on 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

The polys are mapped too close to a contrasting color. The models may be fine close up or when looking perpendicular to the face, but otherwise show artifacts when viewed on edge.

This is what's is going on. I can correct it by mapping the bottom of that face father away from the edge. I believe that some kind of blurring or other sign should be visable in either MSTS or ShapeViewer. There is none in either. They look perfect at all distances and angles other than a little moire effect caused be the repeating pattern of the texture itself. Adjusting the way the textures are mapped on some models will not be an issue but on others such as the roundhouse doors in the background it produces a slightly stretched image after adjusting the mapping. Sorry for the lack of screenshots. No wifi at the moment.

#14 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 07 September 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Can you post a screen grab in ShapeViewer? I have found (at times, qualifier!) that ShapeViewer more closely mimics what you will see in OR as opposed to MSTS. It is either a texture problem (be careful of those blank/white lines that are right at the edge of a texture, so for a 512x512 texture I mean the very first/last raster line) or your polygons are not welded to each other in the model (I have seen that too in some models!).

Don't give up!

I will never give up! Post 7 at this link has a view of the model in ShapeViewer. http://www.elvastowe...ma/page__st__50

#15 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Generally, when I texture, I go 4 or 5 pixels inside the boundaries...

Robert

#16 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

This is a HUGE problem with vegetation as well. Note the hovering cruciforms / lines above the shapes in question. Any bit relevant?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gJxhpNfMyfc/UqYVe9coCXI/AAAAAAAAA0I/VHAGJvJVwH0/s1600/219_Vegetation_Test1.jpg

#17 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Usually caused by mapping too close to the edge of the texture, or the alpha not being darkened to the edge of the texture.

Bob :bigboss:

#18 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have seen this as well. I do not know which specific models are present in that screenie but I have seen other vegetation present this problem. This also does not present itself in either MSTS or ShapeViewer.

#19 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

View Postjared2982, on 07 September 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

I have seen this as well. I do not know which specific models are present in that screenie but I have seen other vegetation present this problem. This also does not present itself in either MSTS or ShapeViewer.

The files in question are Trunda's woodyspecies_##m shapes and many of the trees. Darkening the alpha along three pixels helped somewhat but at a distance the texture "artifacts" appear.

#20 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

View Postjared2982, on 03 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I know this has been discussed before but I was not able to locate the thread. Was this issue ever fixed that causes these white lines to appear on the models?

Attachment Open Rails 2014-09-03 03-17-18.jpg

I don't know/remember this issue. Is there an in-box or freely available route you could point at where this appears? Basically, graphical issues like this are only truly identifiable in a GPU debugger which means I need the content running myself. :sign_welcome:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users