Advance Time/Brakes Apply Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hi All,

Stumbled upon this one...

When I press the -_ key the time of day decreases as expected but then I press the =+ key the time of day advances but at about 0850 the brake pressure drop from 90 to 84 psi and the train stops. In I get the train back up to speed and try again the brake pressure drops immediately.

X2319

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (9.79K)
Number of downloads: 181

Paul :-)

#2 User is online   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

I've had that happen too. Train goes into emergency and that the end of the activity.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

Looks like the brake lines are leaking as they are in reality - just, when you speed up time, they will leak faster, too. BTW, I can confirm this behavior.

Now, it´s just a question if this is a feature or a bug. Brake line leakage would be cool to have, but it should be reduced when speeding up time, in order to prevent such problems as mentioned here.

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

Well, if you can't fix it it's a feature!

Normally you'd never do this during an activity so it's not a big deal. Just wanted to point it out in case it meant something alse was going on that needed to be looked at.

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

This feature just happened to me, so first, before reporting a bug, I searched for threads, and discovered this one. Leaking brake lines + time advance = loss of air, sounds reasonable, normal. Logically if you went back in time your air should increase. Less would have leaked out. ;) However, if a real need arose to use this feature, say to speed up an activity while testing it, or for some other legitmate reason to advance the time, you'd want some way to prevent this. Perhaps an override of some sort.

It is rather startling when it happens. My first thought, OK what Did I do now? Anything progress or more info on just how this is being handled. Feature? or Bug?

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

Wait a little - reading the above posts again, I came to think, slow loss of air over prolonged period of time won´t kick you into emergency, unless there´s a bug in the code, of course. And if your brake handle is in release position, you actually shouldn´t get any braking at all. Thus, why EMERGENCY?

Answering a question with a question, who of those who reported to have experienced this issue were running with the alerter turned ON? Logical explanation would be that when speeding up time, the intervals at which the alerter has to be silenced will also speed up, IE become shorter. You then won´t be able to keep up with pressing the alerter which will ultimately dump all your trainline air.

Thoughts, comments?

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

There's also the bug that time advance (or time going backwards) is affecting the simulation. The simulation code should almost never be using the clock time.

#8 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

Air leakage doesn't sound logical: along with everything else the compressor must also speed up, thus the situation should never arise.

The alerter sounds plausible, though. The only thing that can't speed up is you. ;)

Regards,
Peter.

#9 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Don't have the alerter activated (no checkmark). There is a checkmark beside "Disable alerter in external views" though.

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 25 July 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

Answering a question with a question, who of those who reported to have experienced this issue were running with the alerter turned ON? Logical explanation would be that when speeding up time, the intervals at which the alerter has to be silenced will also speed up, IE become shorter. You then won´t be able to keep up with pressing the alerter which will ultimately dump all your trainline air.
Thoughts, comments?
Cheers, Markus

Markus, right on the money, I did have the alerter on when this happened. Shouldn't the + / - time be decoupled from the alerter function and as James posted "The simulation code should almost never be using the clock time".

I find "almost never" to be the key phrase. What parts of the simulation code would be using the clock time, besides the obvious, time of day. Just wondering?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users