• You cannot reply to this topic

OR crash when entering cab view F7 ABBA passenger set on FBL3 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Maybe I have missed something in the revision log. Or it´s about my cabview files.

I´ll do a test later this weekend and report back with screenshots. Currently trying to resolve some with my computer not working with my tablet via Bluetooth, which I need it to, unfortunately...

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Postgpz, on 05 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Back from notch 1 for the keyboard press the state would go to 0%, and at next press to setup, and after 10 s automatically to off. The keyboard is inactive during the 10 s timeout, and there is also no dynamic braking force in off, setup and 0% positions.

This has been changed because not prototypical. Returning from dynamic braking to traction does not require the 10 seconds waiting time.

#13 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Okay, but it is unrelated to Markus' issue. But otherwise it works as I described, at least as I just tested with default Dash9.

#14 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hm, then it must be something odd with the cab files I am using... I´ll check that tomorrow as today I no longer feel able to do that sort of stuff, not even really knowing the language used in CVF files.

I´ll report back. Maybe doing some in.game tests still today..

Edit: What locomotive?: Actually I would think it´s related to the CVF file, since I get in on almost all locos (at least, on all I have run in ORTS in "recent" times - IE, half a year back or so... don't remember previously driven ones...)

Cheers, Markus

#15 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

OK, did a test with two locomotives, one with combined controls and one with standard separated throttle and dyn brake. I only did two tests, as probably more than 90% of my fleet use cabs by the same creator and suffer from the same problems.

Attached File  DynBrakeCVFfiles.zip (3.49K)
Number of downloads: 188

With these cabs supplied in the ZIP I get the following with both: Upon switching from dyn brake off one notch upwards (IE, in direction of full dyn brake), I get a "Setup" indication. After waiting for 10 seconds this indication remains, until I manually switch one notch up, which is then shown as notch 1 but must actually be notch 0. The reason why I can say this is, that when I switch through the notches, of which eight are defined - the same number as defined for the indicator) I at one point get the indication of notch 8, but the HUD says I still could add ~12% and there is indeed one notch more available (switch up and can see the ammeter needle move once more).

Also when notching down on the dyn brake, I never get an indication of notch 0 or anything similar -- always the S for Setup...

The above files come without the necessary ACEs to run, If you want to try for yourselves, these are freeware packages to be found on Trainsim.com as shrst2p2.zip and gesafe1.zip (with update? - IDK anymore if I have the 1.2 update installed), respectively. Just install them to Trainset\SHR.CABS\... (as defined in the respective readmes.

Cheers, Markus

#16 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thank you for fixing this. Guess I have to switch to the experimental version from now on.

The behaviour that Peter describes is what I seem to be getting: I can coast down hill during setup and 0%, as soon as I go to 11% the train starts to slow down. We seem to have the behaviour that we want to have. ;)

Well, almost: I can confirm that on the default Dash 9 88% is shown as B8 and you can get to 100%, but the lever and indicator don't change for that. Only the temporary display line indicates 100%.

Now I got curious and did some more testing. For that I used the default Marias Pass route from Essex to Coram. This starts off so steep, it's instant runaway train. Here is what I found:

OR with Dash 9: as described above.

OR with GP 38-2: unusable. Even in neutral I get an immediate wheelslip indicator, which stays on and disables the engine brake. It stays on whether or not the engine brake is on. I need to apply power to get rid of it. (I think we can call this a bug, or perhaps we need to reconfigure the default engine settings.)

MSTS 1.4 with Dash 9: engine brake engaged and braking in setup after 10 sec. B8 = 100%.

MSTS with GP38-2: the same, except applying the train brakes disables the engine brake altogether. (I doubt this is prototypical, but I'm no train engineer, so I'm happy to be tought otherwise. If not, it's a bug.) On the steep section with the consist chosen, "2 GP 38 & Assorted frieght" [sic!] the train is almost uncontrollable.

I guess we now need to ask an experienced train driver as to how the dyn brakes exactly work in real life.

Amazing where my question regarding cab view crashing has taken us...

Cheers,
Peter.

#17 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 05 June 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

With these cabs supplied in the ZIP I get the following with both: Upon switching from dyn brake off one notch upwards (IE, in direction of full dyn brake), I get a "Setup" indication. After waiting for 10 seconds this indication remains, until I manually switch one notch up, which is then shown as notch 1 but must actually be notch 0. The reason why I can say this is, that when I switch through the notches, of which eight are defined - the same number as defined for the indicator) I at one point get the indication of notch 8, but the HUD says I still could add ~12% and there is indeed one notch more available (switch up and can see the ammeter needle move once more).

Also when notching down on the dyn brake, I never get an indication of notch 0 or anything similar -- always the S for Setup...

All right, I think we are watching the problem from two different aspects. I was talking about the behavior of the locomotive as it works in program, and as it is shown on HUD, while you are speaking about the cabview icons. Maybe OR has a bug only in handling the latter, and not the prior. So could you confirm, that by HUD everything works as expected on your custom locomotive? Also, could you please do a test with the default Dash9, so that we can simple down things, and rule out or affirm that the problem is with handling customized cabview icons?

#18 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Seems like we´ve really been "missing the tunnel of thought" of one another ;)

I´ll do a recheck for the HUD with the locos I´ve already done tests with, just to confirm about the HUD, and then go into detail with the default Dash 9. I will do the latter test as well with the default cabview (if I can still locate it somewhere) and the one I replaced it with (which is from the same creator as the ones attached previously).

Amazing where my question regarding cab view crashing has taken us...

One issue brings up another one, I´d say :whistling: :pardon:

Cheers, Markus

This post has been edited by markus_GE: 06 June 2014 - 01:33 AM

#19 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 05 June 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Should be fixed in X2298. Was not caused by the fact that no dynamic brake was defined in the .eng file, but by the fact that the DYNAMIC_BRAKE_DISPLAY MULTI_STATE_DISPLAY within the .cvf had not an initial SwitchVal = 0.

I have just tested it in the latest version and it works fine. Thank you very much for fixing it.

I have not been able to find out for sure whether this loco does have dynamic brakes or not. The only thing I could find was on this model page the mention that the sound system reproduces the Dynamic Brake Grid Blower Motor sound. I guess it's my job now to figure out how to change the eng file to make use of the brake. ;)

Regards,
Peter.

PS: I found a solution on this forum to the signals not displaying.

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Follow up:

Test with the combined-controls cab I attached, the description of the issues with which included an error (IIRC) in the above:
  • Switch from off to setup: HUD immediately shows "0%", in-cab state indicator shows "SET".
  • After 10 seconds, HUD shows "0%", in-cab indicator shows "SET"
  • Switching one notch up to notch one of dynamics: HUD shows "11%", in-cab shows "1"
  • When in cab "8" (=max) is shown, HUD shows "89%" (or something like that), IE, can get one notch more of dynamics.
  • Notching down from notch 1 into what is supposed to be no effect of dynamics, but dynamics switched on, gives me "0%" in the HUD, and "SET" in the cab.

Test with the standard control stand I attached:

• Switch from off to setup: HUD immediately shows "0%", in-cab state indicator shows "OFF".
  • After 10 seconds, HUD shows "0%", in-cab indicator shows "OFF"
  • Switching one notch up to notch one of dynamics: HUD shows "11%", in-cab shows "S"
  • When in cab "8" (=max) is shown, HUD shows "100%" (or something like that), IE, this works correctly
  • Notching down from notch into what is supposed to be no effect of dynamics, but dynamics switched on, gives me "0%" in the HUD, and "OFF" in the cab (supposed to be something like "0", I guess)

Test with default Dash 9 and default cab: gives the same results as the above test with combined controls.

Test with default Dash 9 in MSTS:

• Switch from off to setup: HUD shows "SETUP", in-cab state indicator shows "SETUP".
  • After 10 seconds, HUD shows "SETUP", in-cab indicator shows "SETUP"
  • Switching one notch up to notch one of dynamics: HUD shows "12%", in-cab shows "B1"
  • When in cab "B8" (=max) is shown, HUD shows "99.99%" (MSTS Bug, I suppose)
  • Notching down from notch into what is supposed to be no effect of dynamics, but dynamics switched on, gives me "SETUP" in the HUD, and "SETUP" in the cab (supposed to be something like "0", I guess)
MSTS shows, there is no intermediate step between Setup and the first notch of braking, and I´m now (after some a bit more extensive Google research convinced, this is OK that way. MSTS also gives some brakes effect when still in SETUP, but after waiting for 10 seconds, but I could find no information on that... It would, however, be logical that the SETUP notch does not give any brakes, IMHO.

On a side note, in the above two tests in ORTS, I also noticed an issue with the alerter: While bailing off does not silence the alerter, pressing a key that would move a control over it´s 100% position DOES indeed silence the alerter.

Cheers, Markus

EDIT: All tests done with X2265

This post has been edited by markus_GE: 07 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users