Elvas Tower: "Visual C# Express 2010" to recompile OR - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Visual C# Express 2010" to recompile OR OK with rev #2242/2243 but KO with rev #2244 and higher Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hi,

Since revision #2242, OR project is configured for Visual 2010 or higher. This is fine. I used "Visual C# Express 2008" so far. I thus installed "Visual C# Express 2010" (which is free), and could recompile the code at revision #2242 and #2243. But with revision #2244 and higher, I get an error when opening the ORTS.sln file:

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/979/17b99.jpg

I copied the ORTS.sln file of revision #2243 in the checkout of more recent versions (#2244 and #2252), and could then build the solution. It seems that the the banner of the SLN project file was modified at rev #2244:

At rev #2244 and higher:
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00
# Visual Studio 2013

At rev #2242 and #2243:
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
# Visual Studio 2010

Did I miss something, or does the modification of ORTS.sln at revision #2244 impairs the use of "Visual C# Express 2010" to recompile OR?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:52 AM

You are supposed to be able to round-trip from VS2010 SP1 and VS2012 but maybe VS2010 and VS2013 don't entirely get along. It should be noted that the Format Version of 11 is VS2012, not VS2010 like the next line says. You should check for any updates to your version in case that fixes this bug.

You can just change one or both lines as needed to open the project and I'll investigate if we can settle on values that work in VS2010 SP1+ but also don't get changed by VS2013.

#3 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. You were right: I ckecked for updates and installed the SP1 of VS 2010: I can now open the ORTS.sln file of revision #2252 without error, and recompile the solution too.

In case this helps other people: I initially downloaded "Visual C# Express 2010" last week from Microsoft website. The version that exposed the issue was:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel

After the update to SP1, the version that works fine:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

Thanks again,
Regards

#4 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

On another note - I believe (at least it works for me) that if you want to run in Large Address mode, you have to make a copy of your locally compiled Runactivity.exe, set the extra memory switch in it by using the "CFF Explorer" utility, and save it under the name RunactivityLAA.exe. Then setting the option "Use Large Address..." in the menu "Experimental Options" will make OR run this executable instead of the regular Runactivity.exe .

Cheers,
Sid

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Sid P., on 24 May 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

On another note - I believe (at least it works for me) that if you want to run in Large Address mode, you have to make a copy of your locally compiled Runactivity.exe, set the extra memory switch in it by using the "CFF Explorer" utility, and save it under the name RunactivityLAA.exe. Then setting the option "Use Large Address..." in the menu "Experimental Options" will make OR run this executable instead of the regular Runactivity.exe .

Cheers,
Sid

Only if the downloaded ORTS package has an error in it. Usually, it should already come with a RunactivitLAA.exe file in it, so you should just need to change the LAA option on the options menu (in tab "General", I think).

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

markus_GE, on 24 May 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Only if the downloaded ORTS package has an error in it. Usually, it should already come with a RunactivitLAA.exe file in it, so you should just need to change the LAA option on the options menu (in tab "General", I think).

Cheers, Markus

That's correct for the downloaded builds, but I was speaking about running a local personal build, compiled using C# Express, to test a patch privately.
Cheers,
Sid

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

:unsure: , I didn´t get that. :good:

Cheers, Markus

#8 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

BB25187, on 24 May 2014 - 03:33 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply. You were right: I ckecked for updates and installed the SP1 of VS 2010: I can now open the ORTS.sln file of revision #2252 without error, and recompile the solution too.

Thanks, that's very good news. :)

#9 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

Dear All.
I moved to VS2010 express and got it all working. However, I do get 4 compiler warnings.
Attached Image: MSIL vs x86 mismatch.JPG
This happens for ORTS.Common, MSTS.Parsers, MSTS.Formats and ORTS.Settings. Is this something others are also seeing or is related to my system (Vista)?
It is not directly causing issues, but I still think it needs to be cleaned. But I do not know how to fix it (safely). It is still present in 2263.
Best regards, Jeroen.

#10 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

JeroenP, on 27 May 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

I moved to VS2010 express and got it all working. However, I do get 4 compiler warnings.
MSIL vs x86 mismatch.JPG
This happens for ORTS.Common, MSTS.Parsers, MSTS.Formats and ORTS.Settings. Is this something others are also seeing or is related to my system (Vista)?
It is not directly causing issues, but I still think it needs to be cleaned. But I do not know how to fix it (safely). It is still present in 2263.

These warnings will appear for everyone (they are new in VS2010) and occur because some of our libraries are set to compile as AnyCPU (MSIL) but also reference XNA's libraries, which are set to x86. This is not a problem in practice because AnyCPU libraries will run as whatever architecture the executable that uses is and all our executables are set to x86. It can be fixed by adjusting the project build options so that these four libraries build only as x86. (I'll get to it at some point if someone else doesn't do it.)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users