What View Distances are you running? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

jasondial, on 23 May 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm wondering if this is a bug in OR that might need attention or if it's just me.

Having just made the switch from XP to WIN7Pro, I think it is all XP and the way it handles resources, drivers and hardware and memory it can support. When I switched it was only the OS and a new hard drive for the operating system. Open Rails looked better, performed better, and everything seemed to be running better, Some issues I had with visual quality in Open Rails vanished or were lessened considerably. Especially the ocassional stuttering and shimmering. Remember, only change was operating system - hard ware remained the same - oops increased ram from 4G to 32G (max for the MB), but I don't think that accounts for all the differences.

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Looks as if a spelt much wrongly in my first post, i went somethink like muac, Sorry :)

What happens when the viewing distance is to far.

My system

MB ASUS Sabertooth X79
Proc i7 3930 6 cores, running at 3.2ghz
Memory 4 channels, each channel 4 gig
GPU NVidia GTX680 4 gig

OR setup thats relevant, LOD viewing distance set to max viewing distance.
This is relevant to the discussion as it causes more objects to be loaded.

The toughest route for my system is the SOB, a viewing distance of a little over 3000 metres will just produce low frame rates. I viewing distance of 4000 metres will eventually (takes around 7 to 10 minutes) will crash OR's scene viewer due to it running out of memory. It appears only the scene viewer crashes as the program still responds to commands.

In the Adelaide hills and the Vic North East route mentioned in the high object density city tiles and using a 10000 metre viewing distance just produces low frame rates of around 17 to 25fps. This is tolerable as it only lasts for less than a couple of kilometres of driving.

Lindsay

PS, I apoligise for any spelling or formating errors I'm back to my dial up internet access and its only running at 19.2 kilobits/sec, so I am unable to preview (it taking way to much time).

#13 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

Further info, OS is Windows XP pro service pack 3.

In OR optimise viewing distance for frame rate is NOT set.

Lindsay

#14 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

R H Steele, on 23 May 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Got no complaints. FPS runs at lowest around 30 (heaviest routes, however defined) and at highest near 90+. Although with the newest OR X versions FPS seems to have settled more around 60. Experiemtal "Automatically tune settings to keep performance level" (at 60fps) unchecked. Has something been done to the code in an attempt to keep it more consistently around 60? Maybe I'm not paying attention to the fps.

Do you have vertical sync checked? I found I was "locked" at 60fps max until I realized I had checked vertical sync. Unchecking got me back to 100+ again.

This post has been edited by RR1: 24 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

#15 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

RR1, on 24 May 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Do you have vertical sync checked? I found I was "locked" at 60fps max until I realized I had checked vertical sync. Unchecking got me back to 100+ again.

Yep it's checked. However, when I use the Nvidia Control Panel to manage the settings for OR I have vertical sync set at adaptive.
Choices are:
Use 3D application setting
Off
Om
Adaptive
Adaptive (half refresh rate)

I wonder if the combo of yes in the OR Video tab and Adaptive are producing the effect? After reading the spec for adaptive I thought it was a good choice, so far still do. If it really is performing as specified.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2014-05-24 09-01-56-716.jpg

#16 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

R H Steele, on 24 May 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Yep it's checked. However, when I use the Nvidia Control Panel to manage the settings for OR I have vertical sync set at adaptive.
Choices are:
Use 3D application setting
Off
Om
Adaptive
Adaptive (half refresh rate)

I wonder if the combo of yes in the OR Video tab and Adaptive are producing the effect? After reading the spec for adaptive I thought it was a good choice, so far still do. If it really is performing as specified.

The default value for the OR 'vertical sync' setting is off, so it must have been flipped on somehow at some point. You can turn it off again if you like. I am not sure how it interacts with NVIDIA's option but I suspect that unless you pick 'Use 3D application setting' the NVIDIA setting overrules OR. I would say adaptive is probably a good choice but haven't studied it in detail.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users