• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What View Distances are you running? Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_jasondial_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

Happy Friday everybody.

I'm working on a route specifically for Open Rails and I need to determine what View Distances people are using so decisions can be made about distant scenery placement, distant mountains, etc. I am curious as to what View Distance settings, video card, and resulting average FPS people are getting out there. Can you help me?

Jason

#2 Inactive_jasondial_*

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

And before anybody goes off, as people do, that 'FPS is dependent on many variables'... I don't want to hear all that, just give me a good ball park FPS for a good average section of an average route. Thanks.

#3 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I am glad you brought up this topic. I am very unhappy with the current views on both OR and MSTS. Keep in mind that that viewing distance is a personal preference. IMHO the 2 key should show the first dozen or more cars and a generous portion of the scenery, This view would be ideally facing the train slightly to one side. The 3 key should do the same for the rear of the train. However, this could be a problem with short passenger trains.

A tip of the hat for attempting a new route!

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

jasondial, on 23 May 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

And before anybody goes off, as people do, that 'FPS is dependent on many variables'... I don't want to hear all that, just give me a good ball park FPS for a good average section of an average route. Thanks.

Unfortuntely you simply cannot simplify it that muac and end up with a meaningfull answer. Here is what I use.......

Routes such as Adelaide Hills and SE or Victorian NE route, country routes with object counts of 200 to 300 objects per tile, a small number of tiles with object counts of 1000 to 1400, viewing distance of 10 to 12 kilometres. For routes such as these the LOD distance to maximum viewing distance is set.

Routes such as SOB and freeware Bernina bahn with object counts of 900 to 1500 per tile, viewing distance of 2.5 to 3 kilometres.

These viewing distances are based on a absolute minimum frame rate of 30 fps, OR being quite smooth at that frame rate. The hardware is a highish end system so has plenty of steam.

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Lindsayts, on 23 May 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Unfortuntely you simply cannot simplify it that muac and end up with a meaningfull answer. Here is what I use.......

:)
What do

MUACMassey University Alpine Club (New Zealand)MUACMelbourne University Athletics Club (Australia)MUACMovimiento Universal Anti Censura (Spanish: Universal Anti-Censorship Movement; Chile)MUACMongolian University of Arts and Culture (Ulan Bator, Mongolia)MUACMixed Use Activity CenterMUACMid Upper Arm CircumferenceMUACMaastricht Upper Area Control Center (air traffic control; Belgium)
have to do with it? Personally I think the Melbourne University Athletics Club has a tremendous Football Punting Squad, very fast! :pardon: :crazy::D

(abject and humble apologies, just could not help meself.)

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Sorry for the outburst - seriously. All routes from the sparsest older ATSF, to Yoder's Horseshoe, 3DTS West Colton, Bernina bahn, in fact most anything I run the settings are as follows:
View Dis 2000 - 4000meters (avg use around 3000m)
Distant Mountains Setting checked at 40

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH77EB (CPU 1)
Graphics
VE248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Got no complaints. FPS runs at lowest around 30 (heaviest routes, however defined) and at highest near 90+. Although with the newest OR X versions FPS seems to have settled more around 60. Experiemtal "Automatically tune settings to keep performance level" (at 60fps) unchecked. Has something been done to the code in an attempt to keep it more consistently around 60? Maybe I'm not paying attention to the fps.

#7 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

R H Steele, on 23 May 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

MUACMaastricht Upper Area Control Center (air traffic control; Belgium)

Could you please leave our borders as they have been since 1839?
Maastricht is in the Netherlands - Belgium is accross the river!

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#8 User is offline   alkomv 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Distant Mountains = 40km always
View distance = 8000 always

i7 4770K
16gb ram
2x gtx770 4g cards
1x 28" 4k monitor

Frame Rate = I don't really care, it's never below 30 when I bother to look so best guess is 50-80 average

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

roeter, on 23 May 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Could you please leave our borders as they have been since 1839?
Maastricht is in the Netherlands - Belgium is accross the river!

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

:D :) Man O' Man am I going to be apologizing for this for quite a while! In my defense this was copied from that all knowing, extremely accurate source "INTERNET". :pardon:

#10 Inactive_jasondial_*

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I think it would add to the discussion if anyone responding could also elaborate on what happens when you jack the view distance up too far for your system - I have a big problem on my XP system (w a 1Gb ATI card) with OR crashing the video card driver whenever the view distance setting is too high and you try to change views but my Win7 system doesn't have this problem - it just hiccups for a second, skips whatever frames need skipping, and keeps going. I'm wondering if this is a bug in OR that might need attention or if it's just me.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users