Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 81 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#541 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:59 AM

View Postandoodle, on 12 December 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Sorry to respond, once again, to this topic so soon, but would there be a chance, in the future, that a new 3D cab-view would be made for the default MSTS model of the Flying Scotsman locomotive, or would a new model of that locomotive have to be made for "Open Rails" only, in the future?

I am sorry for asking a ridiculous question like that, but I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. With that in mind, I wish to know (possibly in advance). Thank you, again. Carry on.

Hi...

I wouldn't hold your breath... Making a 3D Cab is at least as much work as building a locomotive from scratch - for any modeler to do all that work to slap a 3D Cab in the default Scotsman would be absurd - the default Scotsman was poor when released 20 years ago (like all the MS content) - it's like putting lipstick on a pig... I'm not up on British steam - hasn't anyone built a better one since ? That's just my take on it - others may feel differently...

Regards,
Scott

#542 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:43 AM

I agree with Scott that the original Flying Scotsman is a poor model. There are several more recent ones that are much, much better. On UKTS the latest one by Dave Robinson is very nice and dates from 2016. UKTS File ID. 35534
The recommended cab for this is also pretty good for a 2d cab. UKTS 22338

As Scott says, there is a lot of work in building a 3d cabview, and not many people want to do it.

Maybe you should start a new thread with any other 3d cabs you, and others would like to see. It is always good for a modeller to see that the effort will be appreciated once finished.

Geoff

#543 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:49 AM

View PostJTang, on 11 December 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

So far, it can be realized using the keyword "WIPER" as it is the only one being animated continuously in MSTS.

Just curious if the keyword "WHEELS" works or not?

Not sure that this is correct. I have added a freight animation for a roof fan to a diesel loco. The freight animation has it's own animation, and plays continuously. No reference is made to it in the .eng file, except to call the freight anim.
See my other thread http://www.elvastowe...tion-novelties/

Geoff

#544 User is offline   andoodle 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails, TSClassic

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:52 PM

View Postmrmosky, on 13 December 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

I agree with Scott that the original Flying Scotsman is a poor model. There are several more recent ones that are much, much better. On UKTS the latest one by Dave Robinson is very nice and dates from 2016. UKTS File ID. 35534
The recommended cab for this is also pretty good for a 2d cab. UKTS 22338

As Scott says, there is a lot of work in building a 3d cabview, and not many people want to do it.

Maybe you should start a new thread with any other 3d cabs you, and others would like to see. It is always good for a modeller to see that the effort will be appreciated once finished.

Geoff

I am sorry for making that comment... :(

I do not think that I would be able to replace the default MSTS Flying Scotsman model with the one made in 2016 by Dave Robinson on UKTrainSim, and regrettably, even if I could, I fear that it will not be easy, and I am worried that I might get in trouble with Microsoft in terms of legality. Once again, I apologize. However, if it is legal to replace the default MSTS Flying Scotsman model with the aforementioned freeware model (which could be considered "upgrading," if at all), and if any of the other users did carry out that procedure, then I might be able to give it a try.

Irregardless, it is time for us to get back on-topic. Sorry for the side-talk.

#545 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:55 AM

View Postandoodle, on 15 December 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

I do not think that I would be able to replace the default MSTS Flying Scotsman model with the one made in 2016 by Dave Robinson on UKTrainSim, and regrettably, even if I could, I fear that it will not be easy, and I am worried that I might get in trouble with Microsoft in terms of legality. Once again, I apologize. However, if it is legal to replace the default MSTS Flying Scotsman model with the aforementioned freeware model (which could be considered "upgrading," if at all), and if any of the other users did carry out that procedure, then I might be able to give it a try.

A model/loco swap is perfectly legal. You just need to know how to edit consists and activities. As far as distribution, you could share your modified consists and activities on UKTS or Train_Sim.com, provided you credit and/or ask permission from the model maker.

Anyway, when we're talking about steam loco cabs, it'd be nice to have multiple viewpoints (which I believe is possible):
-Engineer/Driver's POV
-Fireman's POV
-Full Backhead View (for driving sans AI fireman)
-Firebox hole close up (to monitor fire condition)
-Water Glass close up
-Boiler Gauge close up
-Other gauges close up?

From a logical point of view (no pun intended) since there are controls and gauges spread out all over the place in a steam cab, having secondary camera positions would be a big help. Who agrees?

#546 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:13 PM

In a 3d cab, you can move the viewing position wherever you like, using the numeric keypad, and alt + arrows. You can even move sideways completely out of the cab, although I would like to see this limited.

Ok, it would be nice to have some preset views, as you mention. But how often do you want to look at the fire?

Once I became used to moving around, it was not a problem for me in my steam cab.

That's my view anyway, pun intended.

Geoff

#547 User is offline   andoodle 

• Hostler

Posted 20 December 2019 - 12:15 AM

View PostTraindude, on 18 December 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

A model/loco swap is perfectly legal. You just need to know how to edit consists and activities. As far as distribution, you could share your modified consists and activities on UKTS or Train_Sim.com, provided you credit and/or ask permission from the model maker.

Anyway, when we're talking about steam loco cabs, it'd be nice to have multiple viewpoints (which I believe is possible):
-Engineer/Driver's POV
-Fireman's POV
-Full Backhead View (for driving sans AI fireman)
-Firebox hole close up (to monitor fire condition)
-Water Glass close up
-Boiler Gauge close up
-Other gauges close up?

From a logical point of view (no pun intended) since there are controls and gauges spread out all over the place in a steam cab, having secondary camera positions would be a big help. Who agrees?

Alright, Mr. Traindude. You convinced me. However, before you had made that response, I found what may be a perfect model of the "Flying Scotsman" locomotive back when he was an A1-class steam locomotive, and that model was made by Dave Robinson, but the UKTrainSim File ID for that model is 33575 (could be from 2014). The reason is because the one that you listed (35534) only depicts the "Flying Scotsman" locomotive in his British Railways livery, which is not accurate for use in the Settle to Carlisle route.

Sorry for referring to the Flying Scotsman locomotive as a "he," but that gender of that locomotive was based upon what I know from The Railway Series by the Reverend Wilbert V. Awdry.

Now, on the topic of 3D cab-views, I am sorry if this question was asked already, but is there a chance that some 3D cab-views would be made for the Royal Scot Class locomotives and/or the Great Western Railway's Pendennis Castle (along with various other Castle-class locomotives)?

#548 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:08 AM

View Postandoodle, on 20 December 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Sorry for referring to the Flying Scotsman locomotive as a "he," but that gender of that locomotive was based upon what I know from The Railway Series by the Reverend Wilbert V. Awdry.

No need to get sensitive about gender pronouns in this instance.

It if was the 'Flying Scotswoman' then 'she' would be the appropriate.

As it is a 'Flying Scotsman', 'he' is the better fit.

#549 User is offline   andoodle 

• Hostler

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

Alright, then. However, there is one question that still stands for now, and I am sorry to ask again, but that one question is: Is there a chance that some 3D cab-views would be made for the Royal Scots Class locomotives for Microsoft Train Simulator and/or the Open Rails Train Simulator, as well as for the Great Western Railway's Pendennis Castle (along with various other Castle-class locomotives) for said train simulator?

#550 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:37 AM

View Postandoodle, on 21 December 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Alright, then. However, there is one question that still stands for now, and I am sorry to ask again, but that one question is: Is there a chance that some 3D cab-views would be made for the Royal Scots Class locomotives for Microsoft Train Simulator and/or the Open Rails Train Simulator, as well as for the Great Western Railway's Pendennis Castle (along with various other Castle-class locomotives) for said train simulator?

Here is the situation. As far as I am aware, I am the only person making 3d cabs for UK engines. Each one takes up to 3 months to build. I am currently working on a EMU set including a 3d cab, and I have others in mind. I don't see myself making a steam cab anytime soon, to be honest.

So, the answer to your question is that currently there is no chance that a 3d cabview would be made for any of the locomotives that you have mentioned.

I am sorry about that because I also would like to see more 3d cabviews. If other people were as enthusiastic as you in asking for 3d cabviews, then maybe more people would be making them. I have made 6 different 3d cabviews in the past couple of years, and although plenty of people have downloaded them, I have had very little positive feedback. This makes me think that you and I are in the minority of people who think 3d cabs are important to the simulation (or maybe they were rubbish!).

Cheers,
Geoff

• 81 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users