Elvas Tower: Switch and rail joint sounds? - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switch and rail joint sounds? I'm not sure if this could be done... Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

There's a flange-bearing frog on a couple switches in my neck of the woods, mostly on mainline sidings. Also, many of the new diamonds going in with branchline / mainline crossings are flange-bearers as well. I'll go out and snap a few pictures once finals are over.

Also of note--some Xtracks sections have flange-bearing frogs as well.

UNRELATED NOTE: There's a soundset for point sounds drifting around out there. I think it could be converted from an Soundsource to a track-attached sound effect, with a PlayOneShot cue.

#12 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Dustin Raiken, on 15 March 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Watching a few TS14 videos by Fan Railer, I took note of a certain feature in the simulator. While I wasn't impresed by him importing MSTS content into TS14 likely without permission, I noticed that TS14 actually has switch sounds programmed in not as a sound effect for cars to make, but rather when any wheel passes over the switch. I'm very unsure about this possibly being implemented in OR, but with what I've been seeing from the steam sound department in OR, I think it just might be able to be done. Listen closely and you can hear the Hudson's wheels passing over the switch.

I think the main problem would be how to set up the sounds within the MSTS data files without breaking MSTS... otherwise, it is a feature that'll have to be reserved for OR's file formats only.

#13 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

I did have this idea in mind for Open Rails, actually. I just stuck MSTS in there in case it could be possible to do it in there as well. I have to admit, what I've been seeing is seriously pressuring me to get OR.

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

I already had a discussion with gpz on this issue, that I also would like to see working. When we discussed it, his opinion was that it would load too much OR.
I don't see a MSTS compatibility issue. Files should be like now, only they should cause a better simulator behaviour: as someone has said, in MSTS track sound is generated only by the lead locomotive (even if you are in passenger view in a remote wagon you hear the sound of the track where the loco runs in that moment...); this should be modified in the sense that if you are in external view you hear the sound of the track(s) where the nearby loco(s)/wagon(s) run in that moment; if you are in internal view you should hear the sound of the track your wagon is running above.

Further increasing wishlist, something nice for route builders would be a function where sound regions for switches are automatically added in the relevant files; I have added sound regions for switches in some routes, and it is a very lengthy and boring task, although the effect is good if you are inside the cabview or with view 2 near the loco.

#15 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Funny, cause one of the routes I have has rail joint sounds programmed into the route. It will randomly rail sounds where the train is. When it rounds a corner, squeal sounds are heard. Always wondered how this was accomplished.

#16 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

That would definitely attract me to OR a lot sooner. If it could have a more unique SMS implementation over MSTS. Would love to have SMS, Sound Sources, Sound Regions, and rolling stock triggers respond more to basic Akai/EMU/Yamaha sampler functions. I got more into 'phrase sampling' with my own music, but also delved into 'instrument/effect' construction with numerous synths and racks. And now with VST's and DXi's, some very nice and very basic samplers can be constructed in a matter of hours, downloaded and inserted into a studio environment, and follow studio controls and MIDI playability flawlessly. A shame MSTS didn't follow that mantra, and if OR could even implement half of that.

Even better, if SMS could somehow be controlled by general MIDI CC and hardware devices (Volume 7, Pan 10, Sustain 64, etc.) The audio realism I for one could make for OR would be WAY beyond what I'm doing for MSTS currently. :)

#17 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Don Karch did that with stationary sound sources in Rollins Pass and the Joint Line routes. I've always wondered why no one ever did it with the sound regions that change the sounds for tunnels and bridges. Hmmm, you know, I think someone did?

I know I used them on my own route...

Yep, I found it. It's called POINTS.sms, and it plays a trigger when you define the sound zone in the RE...

Robert

#18 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

I once had the SLI Scenic Sub (Stevens Pass, that is, I think) installed, some years back, when V1 still was new (pitifully I lost it in an HDD crash) and I recall at least hearing curve flange squeal in there. Not sure, though, if those sounds were somehow programmed into the stock or the route itself...

Cheers, Markus

#19 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

You were probably hearing sounds programmed into the stock. What I'm talking about isn't a single sound that plays when an entire train passes over a switch, but rather for each wheel hitting the switch. I was wondering if this could somehow be pulled off in OR.

#20 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

:) , if that could be achieved, it would improve realism quite a lot in ORTS :)

Cheers, Markus

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users