Elvas Tower: Switch and rail joint sounds? - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switch and rail joint sounds? I'm not sure if this could be done... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Watching a few TS14 videos by Fan Railer, I took note of a certain feature in the simulator. While I wasn't impresed by him importing MSTS content into TS14 likely without permission, I noticed that TS14 actually has switch sounds programmed in not as a sound effect for cars to make, but rather when any wheel passes over the switch. I'm very unsure about this possibly being implemented in OR, but with what I've been seeing from the steam sound department in OR, I think it just might be able to be done. Listen closely and you can hear the Hudson's wheels passing over the switch.

http://youtu.be/OcB1bSlDa10?t=8m52s

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Funny Dustin - I watched a Run8 video the other night and was impressed with the very same feature... I've always wondered why MSTS included track sounds in rolling stock configurations...

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   apostle282 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Lets hope that little added feature is in the plans for a near future release :sign_thanks:

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

View Postscottb613, on 15 March 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

... I've always wondered why MSTS included track sounds in rolling stock configurations...

Way back in days of yore when MSTS was released, the average home computer had less oomph than a modern day notebook. Easier to play then through a sound stream associated with the stock, and they never ever included the sounds of rolling through switches. The current MSTS method of having a sound region defined at the switch works very well, for MSTS. Taken to the nth degree in Mid East Plus.

#5 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Some routes have a sound object planted on the switches, providing sounds for the points/frogs. The distance is set rather short, so you only hear them when you're close to it.

Robert

#6 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

The thing is, though, they play a sound for the locomotive rolling over the switch. What I was thinking was a sound definition for a joint sound every time a wheel hits a frog. If that is what you're talking about, Robert, what routes have this definition? I think the points sound could work very well for jointed rail as well.

#7 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Such sounds as coming from wheels running over switching need to be assigned at the actual track item itself not as a general option that all frogs make this sound. The reason is is that some frogs do NOT make any sound.

Two examples exist in the local area (Victoria, Australia), All new points used on standard gauge line to Albury in Vic and on the RFR project lines such as Ballarat line do not make ANY sound at all even at speed. How this is achieved I do not know.

Unworn swiching including "tram squares" (tram lines crossing railway lines on the level) on the Melbourne tram network also make no sound, this is because the frogs are made so the tram wheels run through them rolling on the wheels flange, so the wheel tread never touchs the rail through the frog. Trams having a light enough axle load to allow this.

Lindsay

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 15 March 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Such sounds as coming from wheels running over switching need to be assigned at the actual track item itself not as a general option that all frogs make this sound. The reason is is that some frogs do NOT make any sound.

Two examples exist in the local area (Victoria, Australia), All new points used on standard gauge line to Albury in Vic and on the RFR project lines such as Ballarat line do not make ANY sound at all even at speed. How this is achieved I do not know.

Unworn swiching including "tram squares" (tram lines crossing railway lines on the level) on the Melbourne tram network also make no sound, this is because the frogs are made so the tram wheels run through them rolling on the wheels flange, so the wheel tread never touchs the rail through the frog. Trams having a light enough axle load to allow this.

Lindsay

That´s then called a "flange bearing frog", in both cases. See the link for more explanation.

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 15 March 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

I read some years ago about "movable frogs". I don't know the engineering details but it seems that when the switch blades change from one direction to the other the frog moves to close the gap in the direction selected.

Dennis

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

There´s quite an extensive Wikipedia page on about everything you want to know on switches: http://en.wikipedia....mon_crossing.29

Also includes the moveable frog :sign_sorry:

Cheers, Markus

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users