• You cannot reply to this topic

Friction high in low speed Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

View Postdcarleton, on 09 June 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

You must be using the passenger cars from GNHVYSET.ZIP. There is also an update, gnhvyupd.zip. The contents of the readme for the update is copied below:

Some people have pointed me to a little typing mistake I did in the wag files of the Great Northern Heavyweights I recently uploaded to the F/L. This mistake has the quite dramatic effect of literally glueing the wagons to the rails, without any loco being able to speed them up to much more than 20 mph.

The zip contains the corrected wag files. Simply copy them to your GN Heavyweights directory, allowing to overwrite the old ones. (Back up first if you have done any changes to them.)

Here is what I did wrong: I left out one decimal point in the wagon's friction. Blame my old age for it...

In the *.wag files, my first friction line read like this:
1034.2N/m/s -0.25 6.01mph 3516N/m/s 1.704

However, it should be "3.516N/m/s" instead of "3516N/m/s"! Quite a difference... As far as I know, this value defines how much the wagon gets effected when on speed, thus my little mistake has this dramatic effect on train handling.

SORRY for the inconvenenience!

Mike

In other words, in this particular case it has nothing to do with OR.

In this particular case it had everything to do with OR, because the ORTSDavis lines should replace the MSTS friction lines where use, and that was not happening. The problem was caused by a misplaced opening parenthesis or bracket. With the removal of this small insignificant item of code, all is now well.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users