Elvas Tower: "Automatic" updater - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Automatic" updater Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 27 March 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

I have attempted to fix this in X2126 by shuffling around the precise time which the update files are moved. I think it works, but please let me know if it does or not.

Hi James, that works now, thank you.

#22 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Automatically updating from rel 2130 to rel 2134 I've just got this error:
Attached Image: Bugupdate.jpg

#23 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

While the automatic update from 2134 to 2135 worked correctly, the automatic update from 2135 to 2137 gave to me this error:
Attached Image: UJpdatefail1.jpg

So up to now to me automatic update works alternately (one time OK, one time NOK).

#24 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 04 April 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

While the automatic update from 2134 to 2135 worked correctly, the automatic update from 2135 to 2137 gave to me this error:
Attachment UJpdatefail1.jpg

So up to now to me automatic update works alternately (one time OK, one time NOK).

It would be helpful if you could translate them in to English (you can press Control-C while the message box is focused to copy the contents). It's not clear exactly what's happened in either case, so if you experience any future messages please can you include the following key details (this applies to anyone else seeing any similar messages):

• At what stage you encountered the message (update check, applying update, during update restart).
  • The complete status of the files at the time of the message (do NOT dismiss the message or interact with the program in any way). You can most simply get this information by opening a Command Prompt from the program directory (shift-right-click in File Explorer should show the option) and running "dir /a /s | clip" which will put the details on your clipboard, where you can save to a file and attach here.

Thanks.

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Hi James,
I will try to reproduce the problem. I can anticipate you that:
- in both cases it happened during ORTS restart (final procedure step)
- in both cases I found in the Program directory three subdirectories, that is

it
update dirty
update ??? (don't remember the exact name).

In both cases by manually copying the contents of update ??? within the program directory I got a working and upgraded OR copy.

Referring to translation I noticed that in first case (update from 2130 to 2134) I attached the wrong screenshot in my post of the first of april, sorry. Here is the correct one:
Attached Image: Updatefail.jpg
And here is the translation of the Italian parts:

"System.IO.File.... Impossible to load file or assembly 'GNU..... or one of its dependencies. Impossible to find the specified file.
File name: 'GNU.....

WARNING: the recording of the assembly link (associazione) is disabled.
To enable error recording of the assembly link, set the value of the system register [HKLM....] to 1.
Note: some performance penalties are associated to the error recording of the assembly link.
To disable functionality, remove the value of the system register [HKML....] "

So you see that the contents of the screenshot is exactly the same as when updating to X2137. So I got in both updates the same error. Hope this helps.

#26 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 04 April 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Hi James,
I will try to reproduce the problem. I can anticipate you that:
- in both cases it happened during ORTS restart (final procedure step)
- in both cases I found in the Program directory three subdirectories, that is

it
update dirty
update ??? (don't remember the exact name).

<snip>

So you see that the contents of the screenshot is exactly the same as when updating to X2137. So I got in both updates the same error. Hope this helps.

Thanks. The update directories are UpdateTest (used to check you have write access), UpdateStage (where the new version is placed) and UpdateDirty (where the old version is placed) - I presume it was UpdateStage you found the files and copied them.

The important thing, though, is not just what directories were in the program directory but the complete (recursive) list of files. Only from that can I begin to figure out what things might've gone wrong. (If there are no files and only the three directories, that's interesting but not in itself useful.)

#27 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

OK James, I could reproduce the problem downloading release 2135 and then trying an automatic update to 2137. This is the file list I get after having received the usual error pop-up box:

Attached File  Dirlog.zip (2.41K)
Number of downloads: 508

#28 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostWalter Conklin, on 04 April 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Would it be possible to include a concise one line blurb about the new update directly under the "Update To..." line? Perhaps the blurb could come from the SVN server log. The reason why I raise this matter is because it would be helpful to know what the update entails without having to go into the SVN software to learn more about the update.

I'm not sure you understand exactly how automated this all is - there is zero human interaction after a new commit is made. The current update implementation has no scope for a computer-readable changelog, as would be required to list out the Subversion commit messages. In fact, my project hosting has no scope for a changelog either. As nice as it sounds to have the program automatically know what's changed, it's not on the cards for soon, sorry.

#29 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 04 April 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

OK James, I could reproduce the problem downloading release 2135 and then trying an automatic update to 2137. This is the file list I get after having received the usual error pop-up box:

Attachment Dirlog.zip

Thanks. I think the problem was that the new process which applies the update was not waiting for the old process (which will have the localised files locked) to exit, so I've attempted to address that in X2146.

#30 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

I was able to automatically update from 2146 to 2148 without errors, thank you.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users