• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Edit Doppler Effect Sound Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

True, however after Peter's words I would suggest to start implementing echo (if possible) or at least an increased sound volume in tunnels. That shouldn't be too difficult maybe. When I had only one type of motor sound for the Bernina trainsets, I added a speed-related motor sound to the track sound within the Bernina route tunnel MSTS sound regions, and the effect was quite nice. (But developing further motor sounds I had to remove this feature...). When OR will extend MSTS file formats, maybe one could think to insert into sound regions some echo-related parameter. This way no complicated computations should be performed to understand if there are nearby vertical surfaces or not.

#12 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

why don't you just make the sound file itself echoed?

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

Because e.g. the horn has to be normally not echoed, and has to be echoed when the surroundings provide an echo. So, how can you select which horn (echoed or non-echoed) to play, if there is no provision within the game to decide where to echo and where not to echo?
I e.g. have created some echoed sound for station announcements, because they are static sounds, that are always echoed. But a horn is a moving sound...

#14 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

It would sound really weird to be right next to the engine and it sounds like your in a canyon. :sign_thanks: Plus, Putting an echo on the end of the horn/whistle files will decrease the ability to have a nice short blast when doing the grade crossings, or the various signaling blasts.The echo needs to be affected by distance and land features.

#15 Inactive_jantonio_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

Increase volume in tunnels is a very good idea, this "boom" at the beginning of the tunnel to 69mpH :sign_thanks: Now I think the echo in the simulator would be more than most, would be a great sound effect and give more gameplay to the sounds made ​​by great masters

#16 Inactive_jantonio_*

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Will be the echo available in next experimental version?

#17 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

View Postjantonio, on 06 March 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Will be the echo available in next experimental version?

Of course not. It needs some development work to implement, and I haven't even started it.

#18 Inactive_jantonio_*

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

View Postgpz, on 06 March 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

Of course not. It needs some development work to implement, and I haven't even started it.

Okey, thanks!

#19 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Echo can be created by adding a PlayOneShot trigger at the end of the horn effect. Gallo Locomotive Works does this with a number of experimental soundsets. I'll talk with the "head honcho" and see if he's chill with me doing aftermarket soundset upgrades on a case-by-case basis.

As for the ORTS echo function, could that be achieved by detecting collision objects or terrain objects within a certain azimuth of the locomotive? In theory it could be bundled with a quill upgrade. Here's how it could work:

> outside .sms file calls a file "*****.wav", for the sake of this example it is called called "x_K5LA.wav".
> When Spacebar is pressed, "x_K5LA.wav" is played for duration of press.
> When ALT + Spacebar is pressed, "x_K5LA_alt.wav" is played. This can be a quill blast, a "backup horn", or a lower-tone horn depending on what the user wishes. CTRL and Shift could also have bindings.
> When a collision object or terrain object's hitbox is in the hemisphere above the train, it plays a file titled "x_K5LA_echo.wav" when the loop is released.

This would solve the problem of the "sander quill", and as opposed to the 2-key quill system in Railworks which chews up a key binding that could be reserved for a different function.

#20 Inactive_jantonio_*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

How goes the project of the echo? In what version will be contains?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users