Elvas Tower: ORTS TrackViewer - Elvas Tower

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS TrackViewer An open source alternative to MSTS TrackViewer Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Rob,
first of all sorry for the inconvenience and for your lost time.
I retried it myself.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean saying that entries are switched in the TDB. If you mean that the .tdb file is modified, that is not what I get. Your finding that moving points marked from deletion (e.g. starting points) to another position moves such point also in other paths that were generated from such path using the "Use as template" function, that's unfortunately true and I'm sorry I didn't remember to warn you about this. But there is a way out for this: before you want to modify a path by dragging a point marked for deletion, first move all your other paths in another folder, then modify your path, and then return the other paths in the original folder. This way only the path you wanted gets the modifications.
Independently from this pls. take also note that, if you make steps in the inverse direction in your original path, also the other modified paths return to their original state. So in your case no need to restore 8 paths.
If the new path is generated from the old one not moving points marked for deletion to new positions and retaining them, but completely deleting points marked for deletion and dragging the red lines over new nodes, I don't get problems.

The fact that, when you modify and save a path (also by using standard path editor operation), the MSTS editor sometimes modifies and in any case resaves also other paths is a general flaw of the MSTS path editor. This causes a problem with simulation saves: if after a save you use the path editor to modify paths (even only those not used in the saved activity), the simulation saves become invalid.

#52 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I don't know if it's a known bug, but for me in track viewer every path is shown to max 3 nodes (yellow arrows), then nothing. Not just the custom routes, but the default routes with default paths too.
Attached File  trackviewer.jpg (118.03K)
Number of downloads: 167

#53 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hi Jerome,

I just had my first look at track viewer - and - wow - I'm impressed... Eventually - we'll have a FULL SCREEN Activity Editor... Very nice work...

Just a heads up - whenever I check the "Anti Alias" option the program crashes on a route load... When it's off it loads fine... Win7x64 OS...

Thanks for contributing !!!
:D

Regards,
Scott

#54 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Csantucci, on 18 March 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Rob,
first of all sorry for the inconvenience and for your lost time.
I retried it myself.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean saying that entries are switched in the TDB. If you mean that the .tdb file is modified, that is not what I get. Your finding that moving points marked from deletion (e.g. starting points) to another position moves such point also in other paths that were generated from such path using the "Use as template" function, that's unfortunately true and I'm sorry I didn't remember to warn you about this. But there is a way out for this: before you want to modify a path by dragging a point marked for deletion, first move all your other paths in another folder, then modify your path, and then return the other paths in the original folder. This way only the path you wanted gets the modifications.
Independently from this pls. take also note that, if you make steps in the inverse direction in your original path, also the other modified paths return to their original state. So in your case no need to restore 8 paths.
If the new path is generated from the old one not moving points marked for deletion to new positions and retaining them, but completely deleting points marked for deletion and dragging the red lines over new nodes, I don't get problems.

The fact that, when you modify and save a path (also by using standard path editor operation), the MSTS editor sometimes modifies and in any case resaves also other paths is a general flaw of the MSTS path editor. This causes a problem with simulation saves: if after a save you use the path editor to modify paths (even only those not used in the saved activity), the simulation saves become invalid.

What I think happens is that the AE modifies its internal version of the tdb, thus 'braking' other paths in that area - and not only those used as templates for it also effected reverse paths. Moving paths out of the directory does indeed help, but I found that out just a little too late ...
Ah well, it's just one of those things. All is restored now, anyway. But, ofcourse, such trouble occurs just as one is editing 250 mile long paths ...

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#55 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

disc, on 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I don't know if it's a known bug, but for me in track viewer every path is shown to max 3 nodes (yellow arrows), then nothing. Not just the custom routes, but the default routes with default paths too.
trackviewer.jpg
Dear disc. It is not a bug. It is a feature that apparently is not very clear. The amount of the path that is drawn can be extended or reduced by using pageup/down. Drawing the full path can be done with shift-PageUp. Drawing only the first node can be done with shift-PageDown. The default is 4 nodes (including the start node), which is indeed what you are seeing.

Note that I am still working on making sure that also broken paths are drawn correctly. Broken paths are paths that are older than the track database itself (so the tracks were changed, and the path no longer can be placed correctly on top of it, at least not for all nodes).

There is documentation, but not yet in the right place. I will take care of that.
Best regards, Jeroen.

#56 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Dear all,
I made it eaasier to create 'new paths'. I made it easier to draw only the part of a long path. I also fixed some other small issues. There are still some left though.
I also updated the documentation. The documentation, for the moment, is under the source directory. This is not the most logical place, but apparently the 'documentation' directory is not a standard download. So it has to do for now.

scottb613, on 18 March 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Just a heads up - whenever I check the "Anti Alias" option the program crashes on a route load... When it's off it loads fine... Win7x64 OS...
Regards,Scott
Indeed, Scott, that is a bug. I am not sure when I get around to fixing this.

Best regards, Jeroen.

#57 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Jeroen,
that goes fast.
Now I was able to modify an existing path, to save it and to reload it.
I have a question and a small suggestion.
The question is that not always I get the "Take other exit" menu item active (it remains greyed), even if I believe to correctly click on the track section before the switch.
The small suggestion is to have as default loaded paths visible and - more - fully visible (people are accustomed to that from MSTS).

Pls. keep on with the good work!

#58 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Jeroen - keep up the good work !

:pleasantry:

Regards,
Scott

#59 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

Csantucci, on 20 March 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

The question is that not always I get the "Take other exit" menu item active (it remains greyed), even if I believe to correctly click on the track section before the switch.
As decided to make a distinction between a path with a well-defined end (which it will always have if just loaded) and no well-defined end. If there is no end, the assumption is that you do not care if 'taking-other-exit' destroys the rest of the path. If there is an end, only 'take-other-exits' that can reconnect automatically to the rest of the path are allowed. I am working on solutions to be able to, even in the case you want to keep a large part of the path, you can still do extensive edits in the middle of the path.

Csantucci, on 20 March 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

The small suggestion is to have as default loaded paths visible and - more - fully visible (people are accustomed to that from MSTS).
OK. I will do that. I'll have them fully visible.
Jeroen.

#60 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Dear all,
It has been a while since my last update. But I wanted a pretty complete update instead of small steps. I added the following things
  • Full path is shown by default
  • Anti-aliasing is now working again.
  • Added longitude and latitude
  • Advanced path editing functions
    • Auto-fix broken nodes. This will search itself for a path between the last good node and the next good node.
    • It is not allowed to save broken paths. You are supposed to fix them first. I did add an option to go to the next broken node so you can solve issues one by one.
    • Cutting the path, keeping its tail: this enables you to modify the initial part of the path, and then reconnect the initial part to the tail again to make a new path.
    • Making and editing passing paths now has much more possibilities, including 'take other exit' for passing paths (as long as passing start and end point do not change). Also more freedom to define the end of a passing path.
    • Some editing can be done with the mouse without going via the context menu. This needs 'ctrl' being pressed. It includes dragging start, end, reverse, and wait points, and also often needed things like 'take other exit'.
    • You now should get a warning when discarding a modified path.
  • Quite a bit of code quality updates (which you would not see when using it)

I did update the documentation, showing with pictures how to handle some of the new features. The documentation, however, is still in the source code directory (since the documents directory cannot be downloaded outside of SVN).

At this point in time, I think most if not all of the path editing features are ready. What would currently really be needed is people testing it and then using these paths in ORTS and MSTS. Because then issues, bugs, problems and improvements can be found.

Best regards, Jeroen

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users