Elvas Tower: ORTS TrackViewer - Elvas Tower

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS TrackViewer An open source alternative to MSTS TrackViewer Rate Topic: -----

#161 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

Dear Jeroen

I will have to start by apologizing because the route in question is not publicly available (nor is it mine or I'd just share it). Because it's not finished and the track layout has evolved after many of the paths were created, I thought I could use this program to fix the paths. But there are quite a few broken places in some of them.

View PostJeroenP, on 05 February 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Regarding some of the crashes. Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have a path with quite some broken links. For some reason you actually get crashes. Sometimes. I am assuming you crashes during editing, not? Well, of course that is not good. But it is difficult to debug without an example route. But what you want is actually to save the path in between, not. And currently it is not possible to save a broken path. Is that what you meant?

That is correct.

Regarding the draw path until here. Are you having a path that switches back on itself? (so running over the same track multiple times?) In that case the draw until here might work on the top-level pass at that point. Which means an underlying path might still be visible.

This is happening when trying to create a new path. It is possible I'm accidentally creating something that switches back but is not displayed?

I do realize that I have not necessarily been able to give useful answers. The real bugs I would not be able to reproduce without an actual example.

I appreciate your reply regardless and I am sorry not to be able to be more precise on my end or provide an example. I hope there is value in passing along what I have encountered even if at present a solution is not clear.

As a general note, I have not tested on windows 8 (just 7 and Vista), I would hope that is not a factor.

I wouldn't think so. I'm sure my non-standard display is a factor and I would think the broken paths I have tried are probably quite a challenge. But I have also clearly not got the hang of creating a new path yet.

Best regards,
Christopher

#162 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

Jeroen,

You have PM.

Thanks,

Steve

#163 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

View Posthroch, on 06 February 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

do you know about this bug? http://www.elvastowe...s-disappearing/
Please could you fix it?
Thank you a lot.

Dear Hroch.
No, I was not aware of that. Thank you. I did create a fix.
Jeroen

#164 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

Dear conductorchris,

I do understand the situation where you are not able to share the route.

The 'draw path until here' is a feature that makes sense for long paths. The normal way to extend paths (making them longer) is with page-up. However, I can see why you would be confused here. Note that there is manual on the web-site http://openrails.org...and-tutorials/.

I am considering to allow saving broken paths. It might not work in all cases very well (especially not when using the paths in MSTS), but at least you get something.

I will do some searching on this retina issue.

Best regards, Jeroen

#165 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:55 AM

Hi, conductorchris.
I have some additional comments

View Postconductorchris, on 02 February 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I have a laptop with dell's answer to apple retna which increases the pixels per inch (or cm). More current programs (such as Open Rails) scale up to appear normal, but some, including trackviewer, display the same number of pixels and thus shrink.
I tried to mimic this on a big screen (W7) using the screen option to scale everything to 125 or 150%. I get similar results as you. I also found that it not trivial to solve (partly because TrackViewer mixes XNA and WPF, partly because the DPI value or scale is not easily available). However, I also tried openrails itself. Sure, the menu works fine. But text in the simulator itself (e.g. with F5) is for me equally bad as in TrackViewer (outside the menu and statusbar). Do you actually see the same?

View Postconductorchris, on 02 February 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I am working with a batch of paths that have multiple places that have to be fixed. I'm finding that some of them throw errors that crash trackviewer. It would be nice to be able to save the many changes I had made so far so that I could then try to solve the problem that caused the crash. One of these crashes happened while trying to fix a path crossing a track section in a yard that seemed not to actually be there. Eventually I managed to drag the path to the next yard track and the crash went away. Another problem involved a bad path on the last segment before a path end.
I just added the possibility to save broken paths. One of the things that you might run into is the fact that dragging paths is possibly not the most stable part of the code (and dependent on issues in the tracks). Possibly you can try fixing paths using the right-mouse button possibilities. If 'auto-fix broken path' is not available, then there is a big chance that dragging won't work either (both use the same code to find solutions for reconnecting). In the manual there are various options described, some of them complicated for complex issues.

Note that it is possible to do all path editing without the dragging feature. In fact, I might not even have tested 'dragging' to fix broken paths.

Best regards
Jeroen.

#166 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi Jeroen,

Yes, the text in openrails is also very small.

Thank you for the ability to save broken paths before they are finished fixing. That should make it easier.

I have read the manual . . . but that doesn't mean I understood it . . .

Christopher

#167 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:15 AM

Dear all,

James helped me get DPI scaling working. Let me know if it also works now on retina screens.

I have also added the recent ORTS-specific advanced shunting options to the wait-point dialog.

Best regards. Jeroen.

#168 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

How do you save a path? After placing the endpoint the only thing I can get out of trackviewer is the option to delete the end point, or draw path until here.

#169 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

The save is in the pull-down menu.

#170 User is offline   lenglel 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

View Postpnrailway, on 07 January 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

The save is in the pull-down menu.

I can't get to the pull-down menu, only the context menu comes up demanding to know if I want to deletetheendpoint or drawpathuntilhere, whenever I try to click on any of the menus.

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users